Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 12-12-07, 03:12 PM   #1
mathews2000
BassFishin.Com Member

Question buying bass boat -advice? pros/cons Skeeter/Ranger

I maybe opening up a big topic here but here it goes.

I am looking to buy a new bass boat and was wandering what advice some of you would have. What things you have learned over the years. What options are important and what are important features that I should look for? What shows as quality?

Other things like does color of the carpet and deck make a difference. Should I stay away from black or white decks - maybe silver- what about carpet color too light - too dark?

What to look for in the live well features?

Trolling motor?

Storage issues - rod storage - what to look for

How important is GPS in front and back?

I am looking at something around 20 foot - does 225 hp get the job done - I am not looking to fly to run at a nice speed.

Anything else?

Pros and cons on Skeeter and Ranger

Thanks

Last edited by mathews2000; 12-12-07 at 11:55 PM. Reason: more information
mathews2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-07, 04:34 PM   #2
foolishone
BassFishin.Com Member

Duce and a quarter will get ya 70+ on 20 footer

Color GPS with the biggest screen you ca get for the dash. Depth finder only at the front.

Minn Kota, whatever model you buy, get the lift assist.

Live wells - BIG
foolishone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 01:48 AM   #3
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I bought a new Stratos at the beginning of the year, it is just an 18'6"er with a 150. I do not have any complaints about the boat at all. If I had to do it again though I would make the dealer add a Hamby's, radio, and a live well pump-out(most have this). I did get a custom cover from Aurora, surge brakes with swing away tongue, and a few other things. Just do your homework and make the dealer work for you.
Also from what I have seen the Skeeter i-Class is really beautiful, but also check out a Stratos 200 or 201 if price is a factor. Otherwise personally I would conside a Gambler if $ were not a concern.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 09:04 AM   #4
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My 2 cents: If you are just thinking about a boat Fishing and touneyments I would not purchase NEW for my first boat. If you don't get to use it much or deside you don't like it you do not take the hit you do on a new one.
I would stay with lighter colors (them things will burn you in the summer)
I would get MAX HP boat is rated for.You don't have to use it(he he)but you will be sorry if you don't have it.
I would look at a boat show and look for Rod storage,Large Front deck,and if you are married or want to keep the boat after you are ....Dual Consoles.
there you have my 2 cents, Now I am broke .
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-07, 09:32 AM   #5
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I would try to narrow down exactly what you want..speed, storage, comfort, stability....what type of water will you be fishing?..big lakes, small ponds, rivers?..I think this all comes into play, I agree with boater here, definitely avoid a new boat if this is your first. There's some great deals on used boats especially if you buy before spring.

Bass Boats vary greatly and in order to get what you want you must narrow down the "wants". For instance, my fishing partner & I both weigh about 175lbs and therefore don't need a hawg engine or a larger boat to feel stable.

I'm currently buying a newer boat that I've never been in and if I had my choice I would much rather take it out for a day and try it, but a lot of times we don't have that luxury. This forum is a great place to get info. there's a lot of great people willing to share knowledge so I would definitely use that to your advantage...good luck!
Old 12-13-07, 09:37 AM   #6
foolishone
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Max it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
I would get MAX HP boat is rated for.
That is a given. Everybody I know who has gone with less has ended up upgrading. It is simply NOT acceptable to be passed by someone in the same model of boat that you are driving.
Old 12-13-07, 08:15 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

if you have a dealer in mind let us know who it is..there is a few -i wont say at this time who-that aint worth a dam as far as dealers go..

trust me some dealership are great till they get your money. than they don't want to know you or your problems..
customer service is THE #1 THING YOU NEED from a dealership..

zooker
Old 12-13-07, 11:17 PM   #8
boater

You might also look in your area for dealers before buying a boat that you can not get serviced in town. and I would have to agree you FIRST have to know what kind of fishing you want to do.there are boats for small lakes and boats for big lakes
Old 12-14-07, 12:35 AM   #9
mathews2000
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for all the information,

I am in Kentucky therefore I don't know what you would consider the size of the lakes around here. To some a pond is a lake and to other unless it is the Great Lakes then it is a pond.

I based the size of 20 foot on what a lot of the guys around here are using. For the most part they are in 18 to 20 footers and 175 + hp. Other reasons include the fact that I am size 6 foot 4 and 220 and my rather large friends for the most part. I also want a large back deck for my father.

I also anticipate going to other lakes and for the most part larger lakes (Lake Kentucky and Cumberland).

The main purpose of the boat will be for bass fishing with some friends and some other stuff with my Dad (mid seventies and still going -stripers, catfish, you know just what ever he wants to do). My Dad would rather fish than eat and I want to take him out fishing in class while I still have him. I also have many young ones in our extended family coming on that I want to break in also. The other thing will be just running the lake for the fun of running the lake!

We already have a 23 foot run-about for the family and extended family to play on the water.

The Ranger and Skeeter are the boats that the dealership where I bought my run-about from, has.
Therefore I know what to expect from the dealership and that is why I am looking there first.

I do want peoples comments from this forum because I know the best information you can get is from people who is out there eating and living it.

The reason I am looking at new (instead of used) is that I know how things work at my house. If I have a boat that works then way would I even need to trade up? Therefore go for the gold the first time. It is easier to get the boss to agree to a new boat now than an upgrade in a few years. Again you never know what could happen with my father.

I do live in the middle of no where and the lake is in my back yard (actually, look out my back door and there is the lake - Nolin in KY).

Just re-arranged my work schedule where I am working from home - eliminating a 2 hour drive per day- that I have been doing for 15 years. The other thing is I reduced the number of jobs from two to one - 60 hours per week to 40 -45).

I have also already built a boat shed for two boats: the 23 ft run-about and the bass boat to be named later (sooner than later I hope)

Please keep any comments coming, I enjoy hearing from everyone,

So far- keep the color light, max hp (per rating), large color gps on console, gps not needed on front only fish finder, large as look for large live wells
Old 12-14-07, 12:37 AM   #10
mathews2000
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks again Everyone!!!!!!!!
Old 12-14-07, 10:31 AM   #11
foolishone
BassFishin.Com Member

You may want to consider a used rig. You can save a bundle and still get a real peach with lots of warranty left on the motor. "I mean look at this one honey, why spend the extra $10,000 for brand new ?" Have the engine checked by somebody that knows, it's money well spent. You can get info by posting the serial and model number.

A foot throttle and trim/jackplate controls on the wheel are must haves imo.

I'm still taking my boys fishing. Looking forward to the day one of them says, "Dad,can you come and look at this boat I am might buy?"

Last edited by foolishone; 12-14-07 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-14-07, 02:50 PM   #12
mathews2000
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks foolshone,

Your time with your boys now will mean everthing later!!!

So far-
- keep the color light
- max hp (per rating),
- large color gps on console, gps not needed on front only fish finder,
- large as possible live wells
- foot throttle
- trim / jackplate controls on the wheel

Thanks everyone this is a BIG help!
Old 12-14-07, 06:41 PM   #13
1FASTLASER

Ok I read all the input and so far everyone is right on the money. Personally and I dont want to step on any ones toes.......I would stay away from the Ranger's. They simply arent the boat they used to be. Buying a new boat is alot like buying a house. Make sure it has what you want or you will be spending money again to make it "FIT" what you want. The Skeeter's are great boats...........always have been and always will as I see it. The newer Skeeter I class boats are simply put awesome boats. They handle great and big water is what they are designed for. You commented on the lakes you would be fishing. I know both of them and they can be a bear with small boats and being you have a family saftey will be an issue. The bigger 20ftr's are much safer on waters like you will be navigating. Definately stay with the big horsepower........you dont always have to hammer down but when needed its there................and I can assure you once you get used to the rig your foot will be in it more often than not. Make sure you get as big a troller as possible. Nothing beats having the available power when the wind kicks up and it takes alot to keep a 20ftr still or moving correctly in the wind. Another thing that wasnt mentioned is built in chargers. The only way to go in my book. The I class skeeters are fantastic boats.........big room,lots of storage and great livewell systems. A very well layed out boat and they fish great. I personally have had the chance to run one that had a Etec on it with a Detweiler hyd.jackplate with hydraulic steering and I was quite amazed at the holeshot and topend as well. I got a best out of it on gps at 76.5 and she handled that speed with ease. I wouldnt have been afraid to let me boys run that boat. The newer Rangers are having alot of problems that should not be asociated with a boat that carries a price tag of over $40,000. Also on that boat opt for the trailer brakes and swing away tounge. Makes it easier to tuck her away and stop. On electronics I agree with get the best ya can. A good big screen with GPS at the helm and a good big screen at the front. Dont need GPS at the front. Make sure you get her the way you WANT so you will be happy in the years to come. A boat is a major investment and should not be taken lightly.
Old 12-14-07, 11:44 PM   #14
mathews2000
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the information,

I was leaning toward the Ranger Z20 due to it seemed to have more and deeper storage and it felt better sitting behind the wheel (it the show room that is - for what that is worth)
1FASTLASER - can you go into some of the problems that the newer Rangers are having?

I have also heard that some folks were unhappy with the trailiers for the Skeeters, anybody know what that is about?

I would like to hear more from Ranger and Skeeter fans

So far- The search for the perfect boat (this is fun)
- keep the color light
- max hp (per rating),
- large color gps on console, gps not needed on front only fish finder,
- large as possible live wells
- foot throttle
- trim / jackplate controls on the wheel
- trailer with swing tung and brakes
- 20 footer - size will work for waters I will be on

THANKS to all!!!!!!
Old 12-15-07, 12:34 AM   #15
boater

I did like fast lasers point on the trolling motor I also live by the modo get the highest lb. thrust you can afford. Nothing ruins a fishing trim much more than not being able to move the boat against the wind .

A good way to see em all and compare is to go to a boat show
Old 12-19-07, 04:33 PM   #16
Captmikestarrett

One more thing is trailer and weight of boat..

A sweet boat is useless if it cost you 40 gallons of fuel to get there and a spun bearing.. no spare???

Also since you are dealing with dealer settle on the price and stick him for a travel cover.. Deals off, if I do not get a travel cover for no charge...

Capt Mike
Old 12-19-07, 10:29 PM   #17
boater

Do you tow with a cover on?
Old 12-19-07, 10:58 PM   #18
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater View Post
Do you tow with a cover on?
Yes ...

say you stop at Mcdees for a burger and come out to find your rods gone..

A good travel cover is a great piece of mind.

Capt Mike
Old 12-20-07, 08:55 AM   #19
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathews2000 View Post
Thanks for the information,

I was leaning toward the Ranger Z20 due to it seemed to have more and deeper storage and it felt better sitting behind the wheel (it the show room that is - for what that is worth)
1FASTLASER - can you go into some of the problems that the newer Rangers are having?

I would like to hear more from Ranger and Skeeter fans
the problem with the new z series seems to be the ome hardware used..lets face it if you dump that amount of cash on a boat you want NO problems from the get go. the z series is nothing more than a stratos hull with a ranger top cap and insides.-i'd rather have a stratos- now as for skeeter fans -i anit one- n fact i hate the boat. as you said your 6'2'' skeeter boats would fit 1fastrockwacker as he is like 5'8'' trust me big guys don't fit well in skeeters..-i am 6'5''-

zooker
Old 12-20-07, 07:12 PM   #20
boater

Bass Cat makes a nice rig
Old 12-21-07, 07:26 AM   #21
1FASTLASER

A very good point boater. I really dont see why you would limit yourself down to the Ranger's and the Skeeters unless you dont have dealers for other boats in your area. You might check around in neighboring towns for what other boats are closer and dealers avail. I can think of SEVERAL boats that are much better ,more for the money,better built,more options,and aint owned by GENMAR.

Forgot to add the issues with the Rangers are indeed hardware issues. Crap falling off of a 48000 dollar boat is NOT an option.

BassCat would prolly be a consideration for me ifn I didnt want a true custom boat that can be had for the same money your laying out for a name.
Old 12-21-07, 10:47 AM   #22
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If you're going to buy new or newer you might also consider the distance of the closest shop that is certified to work on your rig, otherwise you will screw your warranty and you don't want that. I've ridden in a Bass Cat and IMO they are one Bad-*** boat! If I had the cash I would very much consider buying one.
Old 12-21-07, 04:07 PM   #23
1FASTLASER

I have personally toured the Ranger and the BassCat factorys as well as tried to get into the Legend factory. But they arnt open on weekends to people just looking. Anyways my point is I have seen BassCats being built and I personally know some of the people working there. They take [b]THERE]/b] boat building seriously. BassCat in my mind has made some of the biggest innovations in boating industry for production run boats. They handle SUPERBLY on ANY water BARR NUN. Ride in one and you wont beleive it. Now ifn I was gonna layout the money that a NEW 20ft boat runs and equip it like I would fish for any kind of water I would seriously consider a true custom boat. They can be bought for the same money basically and the boat was built for YOU. The fit and finish of a custome boat is unreal. I myself do boat repairs and I am so meticulous people call me a beotch about details but thats what brings people back and spreads the word. When you build a boat like it was yours or gonna be yours you take pride and end up with a QUALITY product. Take it for what you think its worth.........even though I like the Skeeter I class I would look at Bass Cat if its an option. Shoot there 19ft PanterraII with a 200 runs low 70's and handles ANYTHING you can dish out and for a little over 30000 rigged out.there Puma's and Cougars are 20ftrs and run 38000 on up depending on options. As far as a custom boat Bullet bar none for me. I aint got nothing against an Allison but I will have to admit for a new one the cost is above what I would ever consider. But I never thought the cost would get as high as they have on the 20ftr's.
Old 12-21-07, 05:33 PM   #24
boater

That is a valid point all of the boats above are what I (sorry if I offend anyone) Cookie cutter boats . My last boat was a NorrisCraft there is not a better quality boat built in the states. well maybe one LOL. but it is a boat built for you they build only a handful a year .Iwas lucky enough to take mine by this plant on my way home from buying it and met Mac Crumbly and his family wife and son. He likes to keep track of every boat he builds.
They have a web site and welcome people calling and talking to them.
Old 12-21-07, 05:36 PM   #25
1FASTLASER

I was gonna mention norriscraft but there are tons of folks out there that aine never heard of one. Anyways what model did ya have bud. OH CHIT I think I remeber you know. Didnt you have a green norriscraft?????Hell I just cant remeber where I seen it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.