Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-16-09, 06:25 AM   #1
CCbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default With the wind or against it ?

I have always had great success fishing with the wind but find most fish into the wind. Any comments on this point.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 09:40 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If the lake you are fishing is shallow, say less than 10' through out, and the ind is blowing 15 mph, than the wind will blow the water also, almost like a current. This wind current will move the water stronger on the top than on the bottom. If you want to fish top water than you will not want to throw into the wind. It will look unnatural, for a small bait fish (what your top water will most likely be imitating) to be fighting the current, and be winning. So fish into the wind, not will if you fishing high water baits; like shallow cranks, top water, spinner baits, buzzbaits, ect.. than fish into the wind. If you're fishing low water baits than go ahead and trow into the wind.

Hope this helps
Old 02-16-09, 09:45 AM   #3
bamabassman

wind PUSHES bait fish into the bass, so, bass will always face the wind or in their case, the current. it is said to cast towards the wind and the bait will look more natural to the fish wanting to eat it. bassboss put it VERY nicely.
Old 02-16-09, 09:58 AM   #4
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

yeah.... same concept.... wind pushed plankton which minnows eat.... they follow the plankton (follow the wind) so bass look into the wind to ambush pray (the minnows).... so i have always heard throw into the wind..... i think if you are trying to imitate crawdads it wont matter much tho.... if you drag it by them they will eat it
Old 02-16-09, 01:32 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

fishing into the wind will give you a lot better boat control than having the wind burn you down a bank faster than you want. also bringing you bait with the wind will look more natural to the fish as well because the wind is acting like current and it's moving stuff around in the water, your bait moving with the current will get you bit more than going against the current.
Old 02-16-09, 01:36 PM   #6
JB

so true, even when ya have the trolling motor on 5 and barely making it down the bank against the wind, its worth the effort.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 04:10 PM   #7
abu4600

I always position my boat so im fishing to the wind or either cross wind but never with the wind.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 06:26 PM   #8
zooker

it depends on what i am doing and how much wind is blowing.. a speed bait like a crank or spinner bait in a high wind, i go with the wind.. just a lil wind no big deal just crusie into the wind..or if your using a slow method-t-rig,c-rig,jig-

zooker
Old 02-16-09, 07:18 PM   #9
Rebbasser

If possible throw into the wind. The fish will face into it and your bait will be coming towards them. Same principle as fishing current-retrieve with the current. Now, if you are fishing a wind blown bank throwing across the wind parallel to the bank is the way to fish it.
Old 02-16-09, 08:32 PM   #10
rangerryan

i always try to fish into the wind because it is easier to control the boat some times you just cant but when it is possible i do. i hate fighting the trolling motor any more than i have to.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-09, 08:35 PM   #11
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If I can, I'll into the wind. but I also like to fish the area of the lake that the wind has been blowing to, especially if it has been for a couple days or more. The wind pushes microscopic organisms, which are followed by small fish that use them for food. The small fish are in turn followed by bigger fish, which are followed by the bass. Its a simple food chain. So if I'm casting the shore the wind is blowing on, then I'll fish with the wind, or cross wind (casting along the shoreline instead of to it from the boat)

BB
Old 02-16-09, 11:17 PM   #12
chase_cooley5308
BassFishin.Com Member

if you can get lucky enough that the wind blows constantly in one direction for a period of time you can probably catch a bunch of few fish fishing with the wind..its worked for me numerous times. But ive also caught fish fishing into the wind, so its really your call. You should be able to catch fish both ways
chase_cooley5308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-09, 07:57 AM   #13
CCbass

You have all touched on parts of it and in that realized the real answer. Yes the wind creates a current and only in the top layer, bait fish will face into the current and our usually found in the top layer. Bass on the other hand are not baitfish, they will in fact positon themselves below the current looking up towards the current. A bait going or positioning itself into the current will look more natural. If more natural presentation equals more fish then your set.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.