Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-14-09, 10:41 PM   #1
S4il
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Early Early!!! spring

Alright! Its almost middle march and i'm sure most of you have already caught a few nice size bass, But im from up north, Illinois and its only 50's up here, anyways I went out today and the water temp was Cold, i don't have an exact Temp cause im fishing on the shore...

BUT!!! I did see 2 bass (together) i highy doubt they were spawning that water temp isnt even close to 60 degrees, However they were in the North east corner of the lake, they swam out of a pocket that was had dead roots and stems of lily pads that gets quite a bloom in the summer, along with a whole crap load of Bluegills, NICE size bluegills too, The bass were around 14" and skinny, but they swam away before i could *Creep* up onto them, I didn't catch anything and i was using just about every cold water lure i knew of for bass. I got some attention from the bluegills on the shaky~heads but they were not biting it, just coming up to it and checking it out.

All of the lures Below were natural in color cause the water im fishing is green/brown "clear" <-like that color

Shaky~heads
Slow rolling spinner bait *Double Colorado*
Rattletrap dragg'n it on the bottom
Single tail grubs
Jerk-bait with long pauses

Any ideas for Sunday, weatherman said it's going to be 55 degrees a bit warmer than todays high only 49 and the skys are going to be Clear, High sun penetration into the water, should i hit the same corner of the lake and try same lures again?
Old 03-14-09, 11:42 PM   #2
CCbass

When the water is still cold in early spring high 40's/low50's I use a small jig on rocky points outside of smaller coves. Ones that the sun hits the most, hope this helps.

Last edited by CCbass; 03-14-09 at 11:43 PM. Reason: spelling
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-09, 11:50 PM   #3
Love of the Sport

This winter I had ALOT of luck with a 1/8 ounce spinner with double willows. A white stanley wedge to be exact. The weight allows for a super slow retieve.
Love of the Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-09, 08:32 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Hair jigs maybe. Or flukes worked like a jerkbait. Also you may want to try the dropshot.

BB
Old 03-15-09, 09:18 AM   #5
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

ummm if its a small pond and you cant find rock or whatecer else people say to fish throw a wacky worm.... a wacky worm is the best pond lure in the history of fishin... how many fish my friends and i have caught on em is ridicualous..... in the last week (4 trips-3 different ponds) we caught around 90 fish with about 3 of us fishin a day...

if you have rocks or vegetation fish those first b/c they hold heat.... if not fish cover

you are goin to lose some hooks.... the hook is exposed but it will be worth it.......

just fish it slow.....
Old 03-15-09, 09:20 AM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I do very well slowly retrieving a chatterbait just fast enough to keep it off the lakes bottom. Both white and black/blue work, depending on the day.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.