Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-18-09, 06:23 AM   #26
MrPhotographer06
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

im in the same boat as keith on the overhand..

but every mono i tried on a baitcaster ended in disaster but my uncle uses it on his 5500C.. and thats all hes ever used.. i'm running suffix braid now.. i loveeeittttt
Old 03-18-09, 09:14 AM   #27
jcw1503
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use mono all the time, it takes alot to get use to but it casts alot further in my experience...Also, most of my cast with a baitcaster is overhand, thats how i learned and then sidearm came very easily after i learned overheand...but i still use overhand...someone answer lowrider..Why can't you throw overhand?
Old 03-18-09, 10:06 AM   #28
Bassin21
BassFishin.Com Member

I have seen guys throw overhand, so its not impossible and can be done. Personally I'm much better off throwing sidearm or 3/4, but if I bring it over the top it gets ugly really quick.
Bassin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 10:17 AM   #29
ejvesper
BassFishin.Com Member

I don't think the line matters...Mono, flouro, braid, coated p line.....you just need to adjust the reel right...it's like on e of the guys said...loosen up the brakes all the way, tun the knob on the spool to tighten it up till your lure falls slowly to the floor and when it hits your spool turns one more time.....take it on the water andcast and adjust your brake till it feels right....your thumb is your best friend and soon your baitcaster will be too.....
Old 03-18-09, 11:21 AM   #30
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It's all in the wrist and thumb like the guys were saying. One tip I can offer you is keep the elbow of your casting arm in at your side. Use a rolled up newspaper between your elbow and body, and don't let it drop. This will help you get the hang and feel of it much quicker and prevents you from using your arm and overpowering everything causing backlashes. When you cast it's like hitting a baseball, don't try to throw it a mile, just take an easy swing at it and keep your eye on the target, not the bait, rod, or reel. I hope this helps.
Old 03-18-09, 01:10 PM   #31
chubs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Spool off some of the line and put a smalll piece of scoth tape on the spool and real the line back in that way when you backlach it will only nest up to the tape.
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.