Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-23-10, 05:04 AM   #1
Bass Warrior
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Winter patterns??

I am trying to learn what I should be looking for during winter fishing. I have no clue where bass migrate to when the water temps drop. I have had a little luck fishing 6-9 ft just before a drop-off to 20-30 ft but very little. Any help would be appreciated!
Bass Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 06:57 AM   #2
danielbasspro
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If the water is clear fish will generally move deeper in the lake, like ledges, drop-offs, and depth changes. Fish drop shots, carolina rigs, and fish slow. Look for some deep grass or points. They'll be there but may not might real good, but things can change for the better in an instant when that sun pops out. Good Luck
Old 12-23-10, 08:13 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Up here winter fishing is done through the ice so I can't really tell you a lot about fiahing the winter months there. But I do know that in late fall before iceup here, finding deeper weedbeds that are still green and healthy is key. So many weeds turn brown and die off in late fall. So if you can find healthy green weedbeds your well on your way, especialy if they are near woody cover as well. Wood tends to hold heat after being in the warm sun which will help warm the surrounding water. At least thats what I've always been told.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 09:53 AM   #4
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Here in the Kentucky resevoirs they go deep along mainlake channels. Jigs are the way to get largemouth and using the float-n-fly is the way to catch smallies
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 11:54 AM   #5
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Wood tends to hold heat after being in the warm sun which will help warm the surrounding water. At least thats what I've always been told.
That makes a lot of sense, Keith. Submerged logs or stumps tend to be a dark color, and if the water is relatively clear, they would act almost like a solar collector.

What about in small farm ponds, where the maximum depth may be only 15 to 20 ft and there is essentially no cover? Do the Bass just go to the bottom and try to tough it out all winter?

/
Old 12-23-10, 03:46 PM   #6
Bass Warrior
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys! I have become very dependent on Texas rig worm fishing and at times feel thats the only way I can catch fish. Is there any difference in how you fish this in the deeper water or is Carolina rig the better way to go when you go deeper?
Bass Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 04:31 PM   #7
walkeraviator

tungsten weights are handy when you go deep. more eight without more size. I also like to go smaller finesse worms in teh winter.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-10, 10:44 AM   #8
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveysMinnow View Post
That makes a lot of sense, Keith. Submerged logs or stumps tend to be a dark color, and if the water is relatively clear, they would act almost like a solar collector.

What about in small farm ponds, where the maximum depth may be only 15 to 20 ft and there is essentially no cover? Do the Bass just go to the bottom and try to tough it out all winter?

/
I would imagine that would be their only option really. I would expect the oxygen levels to be fairly even throught a small pond unless it is feed by a feeder creek, in which case the bass might hang near the entrance of the creek.
Old 12-25-10, 12:10 AM   #9
cassidyta

I would also look for anything green and try to find them there. The photosynthesis will release oxygen and the weeds will act as an insulation.
Old 12-29-10, 05:29 PM   #10
RayC
BassFishin.Com Member

I've had great success with a jigging spoon in the last few months I caught many 6 and 5lb bass on spoons. Here are just a few fish I've caught.

RayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-10, 06:17 PM   #11
WTL

Damn, Ray.....thats awesome.
Old 12-29-10, 06:52 PM   #12
keithdog

Geez Ray, leave a few for the rest of us! Those are beautiful bass!!!
Old 12-29-10, 07:23 PM   #13
nofearengineer

Ray...you're killing me!!!

The problem with the Winter pattern for me is I can't seem to reach the water, casting from my couch.

At least I'm warm.
Old 12-29-10, 08:18 PM   #14
bamabassman

SON!!!!!!! ray..........those are just AWESUM fish man. my winter techinigues? welll..............put on my snuggie and turn up the heat. put in an old john wayne movie and curse old man winter.
Old 12-30-10, 10:06 AM   #15
HarveysMinnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayC View Post
I've had great success with a jigging spoon in the last few months I caught many 6 and 5lb bass on spoons. Here are just a few fish I've caught.
Ray, it's impossible to argue with evidence like that! You make a really strong case for jigging spoons.

Old 12-30-10, 10:27 AM   #16
Ebbetsguy

We have hard water as this time of year, and I don't like the cold
My winter pattern: Coffee, Couch and TV
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 02:38 PM   #17
RayC
BassFishin.Com Member

Guys what are u wimpy I was fishing this December in 20 degree and under catching most of these fish. You don't get many but when you do hold on. You will catch some of your biggest fish the spawn and this time of year.
RayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 05:17 PM   #18
bamabassman

all i can say ray is..............YOU DA MAN!! keep it up pal. we love to see these types of pics. i MIGHT get the old RAJUN CAJUN out before winter is over. that is IF the boss will let me, hahaha. the boss is my wife by the way.
Old 12-30-10, 09:43 PM   #19
BBD

Yeah Ray is killin em!
BBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 02:31 PM   #20
carolina-rig-01

While a lot of the fish go deep in the winter, you don't have to fish deep to catch fish. Obviously deep techniques like dragging a jig around or fishing a jigging spoon are great ways to catch deep fish, but if you aren't comfortably fishing deep water you can still catch a lot of fish shallow (or atleast fairly shallow). If fishing deep doesn't bother you then go for it, it's just one more ace in the hole for you. But there are a lot of guys who don't feel comfortable fishing deep water but try it anyways in the Winter and Summer because they believe that's what they have to do to get bites. There are shallow fish to be caught pretty much year round, and if deep water isn't something you do well then why leave your comfort zone if you don't have to. You can stay shallow and focus on areas like Chunk rock that is close to flats and also close to deep water, or concrete boat ramps (these things hold a lot of fish in colder water because the sun heats them up just like it does chunk rock). Jerkbaits, jigs, and Wiggle Warts are my 3 favorite baits for fishing shallow in cold water. With jerkbaits and jigs, slow is usually the answer in cooler water.

If fishing deep doesn't bother you then you will probably want to look at the same type of ares that hold deep fish in the summer (maybe not the same exact areas, but the same types of areas). Deep points, channel swings, humps, and deep brush piles or rock piles are all great places to find some fish.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.