Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-05, 05:30 PM   #1
randerson52
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to randerson52
Default Working a lizard wieght less

when you work these baits, do you have them on top of the water, or do you have them subsurface. I have caught 1 bass using one and then nothing after that. NJBassDevil, gave me about 35 or 40 berkley lizards, the color is clear purple with glitter flakes on em. Anyways what is the correct way to use a weightless lizard.
randerson52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 06:15 PM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Working a lizard wieght less

YES ;D Â*Which means anyway you want. Â*If the fish are active, the working them up on the top or just below the top of the water will work fine. Â*However deadsticking them is also a great choice. Â*Especially if the bite is tough. Â*You can use a slow constant retirve or twitches, with pauses. Â*Always watch the line, because when going weightless most of the bites will be detecting by your line. Â*Also when deadsticking if you slowly start to move it, and you fell resistance many times you already have a bite, so set the hook. Â*There's really not a bad way to work them weightless. Â*But they work best around timber and weeds. Â*Also I prefer all Black, but most any color will work. Â*Did I mention they are also killer on c-rigs Â*and t-rigs Â*The only bad way to work a lizard is leave it in the tacklebox :-*

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 06:54 PM   #3
basscatcher
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

it's definitely hard to feel the bites. i caught one the other day and i saw him pick up the bait and he didn't even take it all the way. i could see the hook was still out of his mouth. i was fishing it very slow so he didn't smash it and turn away, he just stayed there. i had to watch him spit it out. i threw a fluke right behind it and he finally took it good. if i hadn't seen him i would never had known i had a hit. but then again maybe he would have taken it on down if i would have continued my retrieve. who knows. love the lizards though. ???
Old 05-06-05, 08:02 PM   #4
jglassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to jglassguy

Always hold your line for sensitivity of line movements
I hold my index finger under the line on my baitcaster and then also on top of my thumb. I am left handed with all right hand handles, so once I throw out I dont have to switch hands like most right handers do, then once the line hits the water I look for whatever backlash i have, maybe pull couple of inches of loose line out, and thats when i run the line over the fingers as I watch the line in the water and reel.
Any finger is more sensitive than the rod blank, even the guys that hold the reel and the bottom of the blank in the rod think they are getting a feel, but the line will detect the hit quicker. 8)
jglassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-05, 11:27 PM   #5
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Amen to that JB. Do the same w/ almost everything. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-05, 02:02 PM   #6
fishforfun
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fishforfun

when I use a lizard, I usually cast it out, let it sink for a few seconds, then slowly bring it in with a constant retreive. this way I can feel a bite much better, and it usually produces fish as well.
fishforfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.