Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-11-09, 03:07 AM   #1
CCbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default A bass fishing scenario, what would you do in these conditions ?

You pull up to the lake at dawn in late November, nothing but white caps, clear skys, 15-25 mile an hour winds that last all day, water temp around 55. The lake is long and oval shaped with only one real long cove, a few little ones here and there. The wind is blowing the length of the lake, the lake has both largemouth and Smallmouth, what would you do to fish these conditions?
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 06:01 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

You pretty much described any given day up here in the fall. I look for bait fish on the sonar, then I'd run shallow running crank baits and put up with the wind..theres plenty of other patterns that work, thats my fav. one.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 08:14 AM   #3
Bassboss

You probably would not like my answer, but here it is: I'd go home!

But if I had to fish, I would find a cove with high trees around it, find a place were the wind and waves are not so bad, then I would work my way from there, throwing shallow cranks, spinnerbaits, and t-rigs. I also may try a 4-5" swimbait.

Hope this helps
Old 03-11-09, 11:35 AM   #4
md11hog
BassFishin.Com Member

Since I'm already at the lake, tie on a 1/2 ounce chartruese/white spinnerbait, fish for about 30 minutes , then go home and watch college football.
md11hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 02:02 PM   #5
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

gosh you guys are wussies..... i want to go home...... blah blah blah..... the only time i got to a lake and thought i might want to go home was when it was 35 and rainin.....

but i would go into one of the coves that blocked some of the wind..... make sure it has bait and throw your confidence lure..... for me this would be a shaky head on a drop off with rock..... also a jig, t-rig, c-rig...... also crankbait and spinnerbait
Old 03-11-09, 02:23 PM   #6
cassidyta

I would look for any rock piles or other structure and try to bring a small fluke or swim bait like a storm wild eyes shad perpedicular to the wind and against the structure. If I could not find any structure, I would look for any longer points and do the same thing. If that failed, then I would take a large fly rigged plastic and do the same thing. Let the wind push it to them.
Old 03-11-09, 02:24 PM   #7
Tall

CCbass you already know what to do with your experience. You are just waiting for someone to pull it out of you and ask what would you do. I guess that is a good way not to get jumped on if it is not the norm or your are concerned someone may take issue with you giving so much exerience on a regular basis esp. if it is not the norm.

A fluke may work fished on the points and pockets of the small coves on the down wind side of the lake, but a rattle trap/lipless type bait would be tried just as much. I would also use a double bladed chartuese wareagle spinner bait off the ponts and ledges for small mouth.

Welcome MD11hog to the site.
CHRIST loves you and died for you John 3:16

Last edited by Tall; 03-11-09 at 02:30 PM.
Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 03:31 PM   #8
basstech

You forgot the most important information, water clarity. How far down can you see a white spinnerbait? If you can see it between 2 to 4 ft. down. I'ld be throwing a white/chartreuse spinnerbait, 1/2 oz, with dbl willow silver/gold, silver leading blade and gold trailing blade on the bank with the most wind exposure.
Old 03-11-09, 03:35 PM   #9
Captmikestarrett

Troll crankbaits around points..

Capt Mike
Old 03-11-09, 03:45 PM   #10
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
gosh you guys are wussies..... i want to go home...... blah blah blah..... the only time i got to a lake and thought i might want to go home was when it was 35 and rainin.....
Notice the ""
Old 03-11-09, 04:03 PM   #11
Captmikestarrett

What? trolling works...

Capt Mike
Old 03-11-09, 04:07 PM   #12
Bender

That's what happened to us late last October, but we drove 3 hours north to get to the lake. Except there were honest 2-3'+ waves and 35 MPH winds on a 17,000 acre natural lake where we had never been before. We launched the boat in the river between this lake and its twin 17,000 acre lake and made our way out the channel into the main lake. We threw jerkbaits as soon as we got out there but the waves and wind were too strong and my 46" shaft TM kept coming out of the water. We ended up fishing the calm water of the river without any luck using spinnerbaits and worms. As a matter of fact the next 2 days calmed down, but the fishing was not that good either, maybe from that wind.
For this reason I am curious what everybody else would do since we didn't get a chance to try.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 04:13 PM   #13
Captmikestarrett

Knock knock is thing on...

Trolling works in rough water.. put six rods in the holders and some med diving baits and slow troll points till you find fish...

Then anchor up and c-rig for them..

Capt Mike
Old 03-11-09, 04:26 PM   #14
ronniek524
BassFishin.Com Member

work on light line and heavy line,althought option 2 would be most prefered

1- ds on 1/2~5/8 oz weight with #4~6lb line. Keep the rod down would help you work against winds. split/ c-rig/ t-rig on lighter line 8lb~10lb.

2- CB/ swimbait/ spinnerbait would be perfect on these conditions.

Again, that is just me
ronniek524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 04:36 PM   #15
fish2

Send a message via AIM to fish2

find a place where the wind is blowing up against some cover(weed beds) and fish the side of the weed beds that the wind is blowing against. The wind will be blowing the baitfish in this direction and this is where you will find the bass.
Old 03-11-09, 04:52 PM   #16
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish2 View Post
The wind will be blowing the baitfish in this direction
a common misconception. wind does not move the fish around. fish can swim wherever they want, it may move the tiny micro-organisms (plankton) that the baitfish feed on. then, in turn, it may move the bass that are following the baitfish.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 04:53 PM   #17
CMorg

Id go to that cove , hopefully its protected from the wind. Throw a light spinnerbait and wind her back to the boat.. if the water is alittle calmer , maybe start with a topwater ( buzzbait ). If shad present Id use white colors or silver.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 04:58 PM   #18
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
a common misconception. wind does not move the fish around. fish can swim wherever they want, it may move the tiny micro-organisms (plankton) that the baitfish feed on. then, in turn, it may move the bass that are following the baitfish.
There is actually talk of this in the special bass edition of in fisherman this month. Its a fish biologist (sp.) I believe its the very last 2 or 3 pages of the mag...said the same thing lowrider.
Old 03-11-09, 06:28 PM   #19
fish2

Send a message via AIM to fish2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
why do people always say that then? cuz I have heard many of people say that this is where you will catch fish at including some pretty well known professionals
Old 03-11-09, 06:32 PM   #20
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i guess it's kinda like the old wive's tale "a dog's nose should always be wet" we've been saying it so long we actually believe it!
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 06:53 PM   #21
CMorg

The article said the wind cannot blow a healthy bait fish. It does however blow algie and algie bloom , and the small bait fish feed on the algie bloom , and the big fish feed on.....you get the point right ? I may have spelled some words wrong , I dont really care though.
Old 03-11-09, 06:56 PM   #22
bamabassman

ok......if it's late november. i am gonna be eating smoked turkey and dressing. lmao. not gonna be fishing with all the rest that goes with it. lmao. too full and ready to take a nap. hahahahahahahahahhaa.
Old 03-12-09, 01:22 AM   #23
CCbass

Tall you were right, this was a scenario of my last tournement I fished, fact is JB nailed it on the first post. As far as how I ended up second, shallow cranks against a bluff wall that was about a mile or so long on the main lake. I fished with the wind ( why fight it at that speed ) and did focus on smallies. I wieghed four, lost four, and had five try at the boat, most had two, one, or none. The winner fished a ledge outside the only major cove, slightly shielded, 20 to 25 feet vertical jigging a spoon, he had a limit 1 ld. more then me. Most wanted to fish what you guys mentioned but the 2 to 3 foot waves pushed them off there spots so they kind of just made do.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 09:25 AM   #24
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
Tall you were right, this was a scenario of my last tournement I fished, fact is JB nailed it on the first post. As far as how I ended up second, shallow cranks against a bluff wall that was about a mile or so long on the main lake. I fished with the wind ( why fight it at that speed ) and did focus on smallies. I wieghed four, lost four, and had five try at the boat, most had two, one, or none. The winner fished a ledge outside the only major cove, slightly shielded, 20 to 25 feet vertical jigging a spoon, he had a limit 1 ld. more then me. Most wanted to fish what you guys mentioned but the 2 to 3 foot waves pushed them off there spots so they kind of just made do.

You win my super awesomo award
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 09:28 AM   #25
MississippiBoy

Man, it's hard to breathe in here, Doc...I'm drowning in sarcasm.

But seriously.............I thought I won that award You know, just for being me.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.