Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-04, 02:08 AM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Changing Treble Hooks

Just wanting to know what brands and sizes you folks prefer to use when replacing the Crankbait trebles. Do you use the same size or prefer a bigger size on the back or front, red on front or back etc... I was also wondering if you folks add split rings to the cranks. I'm really up in the air about the split rings, it can cause a lot more hook fouling by allowing the hooks to get caught up together. I understand the concept of less torque from the fish to be able to throw it, but is that really a problem, or just a perception? Any help would be appreciated, since I'm currently looking at replacing quite a few. I'm more interested in a Seriously STICKY treble, that will get some good hookups. I can usually keep pressure on the fish, and keep em from jumping so throwing the lure just doesn't seem to be a big problem. I have more problems ripping it away from them, then hooking them, and then they throw it.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 06:41 AM   #2
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36
Default Re: Changing Treble Hooks

I go with Hookerz for my brand. On the front hook, I go up to the next size with a red one. On the back hook, I stay with the same size and black for color. Rat-l-Traps, I do the same except I replace the back hook with a feather treble on natural colors(chrome/blue, chrome/black, custom)As far as the extra split ring, I'll be trying that on my rat-l-traps next year.
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 08:42 AM   #3
james33
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to james33

I always replace with Mustad triple grips. They tend to hold really well. I wouldn't add an extra split ring it seems to make the hooks tangle together more, and the bait fouling every other throw just isn't fun. What I do is add a snap to the line tie split ring, only on Traps though. It seems to help some.
james33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 01:18 PM   #4
catfishtonyd
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to catfishtonyd

I never bother. I just sharpen the ones that come on 'em, and when they wear out I get a new bait.
catfishtonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 01:58 PM   #5
bruce
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bruce

I change alot of my hooks out to Mustad Triple Grips. Since I started using them I hardly lose any fish on my cranks. I'm totally sold on them.

Scott
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 04:48 PM   #6
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

First thing that I do is to change the origional split ring on the front with an oval split ring. Makes it easier to tie with out the line going into the area where the split ring is made.
I try to stay with #4's except on bigger baits, I'll go with #2's.
Sometimes I'll use a red hook up front, depends on weather it makes a differance.
Almost all my crankbaits get new high quality hooks, except some crankbaits I.E. Lucky craft, DT series etc.. have good hooks from the factory.
I use Gamakastu EWG hooks pretty much on a regular basis .
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 05:02 PM   #7
oldfisherman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to oldfisherman

the only hooks i change are on rat l traps. then i go up one size both on front and back. i like the eagle lazer hooks. some time i go with red, other with back. i don,t think the color makes that much difference. the only reason i change them is i can't seem to get them sharp enough. the rest i fine are good out of the box. just hit them with a sharpener as needed. i never but snaps on any hooks like you i think the foul to much. sharp hooks and playing the fish seems to work for me. if your gone to worry about looseing one now and then don't fish, its part of fishing.
oldfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 07:32 PM   #8
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i also change-or add-a oval split ring on the lip. as for size i like #2 and #4. actually ya have to watch your lure a #4 treble on a #6 husky jerk will kill the action. and going small is just not good. as for the bigger front to a smaller rear hook. i prefur to leave them the same or go bigger in the rear. here is why. most fish that grab the front hook are going to have the rear hook in them some where,cause they nailed it. if they are just slapping at the crank -grabs only the tail hook-having a small hook here will present a very big problem called hook gap. -the distance between the hook shank and the point- a big bass has a fairly thick lip.to actally get a good hook set in to the bone the hook must have a wid enough gap-see where i am going with this-.
like gamakatsu ewg and lucky craft-while pricey these hooks are the best i have ever used and dangerously sharp-if you can feel them it is past the barb.-

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 09:17 PM   #9
juicy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to juicy

I change all my treble hooked baits hooks to Gamakatsu's.
They are dangerously sharp.
I usually try and match the original size, that was how the bait was originally balanced.
juicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-04, 10:12 PM   #10
mike0062466
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mike0062466

I'm with Cajun, I sharpen the stock hooks and change when the point breaks, or otherwise makes it unusable. I usually stick with the same size.

Of course, I'm strictly a recreational fisherman and don't worry too much. If I were a tournament guy, I'd probably be more paranoid and change them all.

My unproven, gut feeling is that sharpening stock hooks to a good point is not going to be much less productive than changing all hooks, certainly not warranted enough in my case to go through the time and expense of changing.
mike0062466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 01:50 AM   #11
dave_in_fl
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to dave_in_fl

The hooks that i am currently using are the Excalibur Tx3's they are great. I use the same size most of the time, a larger hook kills the action of most baits IMO. I'm not a big fan of red hooks even though using them on my lures i could probably sell more. I don't do things just because its the "in thing" unless i believe in it. On the other hand i do like to use a lot of red on my bait colors themselves so i'm not opposed to the idea I just don't embrace it. The only thing i add split rings to are baits such as Zara Spooks that dont come with them, besides changing to ovals on some of my lures and on all of my line ties. I just can't see two rings on one hook making a big enough difference to matter IMO.
dave_in_fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-04, 11:06 PM   #12
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Currently using Daiichi #4 bleeding trebles. Replaced all rear hooks on my ratltraps and most other baits I have with trebles. I also learned, probably from here. I now cut off the forward facing lead barb on my lures. No problems w/ loosing fish and I dont get hung up as much when fishing cover. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-04, 01:00 AM   #13
bassguy2004

I change out my hooks and go 1 size larger on the back with Gama's and stay with same size on the front with new Gama's.
Old 12-03-04, 01:58 PM   #14
mrcj1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to mrcj1

If I bother to change them it will be a tripple grip style hook.
mrcj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-04, 09:02 PM   #15
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass

Always Gamakatsus or Owner ST 31's
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-04, 09:41 PM   #16
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

If they don't come with em, i will change to Daiichi. Bleeding Bait in the front, and bronze in the rear.

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.