Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-01-13, 09:32 PM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default off shore bass fishing

So it may or may not be known that I LOVE OFFSHORE fishing. I know that there are times when beating the bank is they way to go. I fished a team tournament 2 weeks ago and committed myself to trying to catch what I thought would have been offshore bass staging up. Got crushed all bass where on the lower end of the lake shallow in 46 degree water. But that’s fishing. I just get the craziest looks when people pass me by looking at me like “what the hell are you doing”. I was practicing this past week and there was a guy on the bank…..I guess working a lay down that actually turned around and asked me if I was really fishing for bass? (u can see him in the upper right of the screen) All I could think was “are you really asking me that”? It was actually pretty cool to catch a 4:8 right behind him! So I know I’ve got a crazy boat and yes I fish braid more than most….but am I really that out of the norm for fishing offshore? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6zEH...bB0BRQ&index=1
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-13, 09:54 PM   #2
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

fish want you do best i think your rig is pretty neat. you did a outstanding job on it sometimes i would kill for that much room.
Old 04-01-13, 10:53 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobass View Post
fish want you do best i think your rig is pretty neat. you did a outstanding job on it sometimes i would kill for that much room.
My thoughts as well. And it's always a blast to land a nice bass if front of those telling you they know best.
Old 04-01-13, 11:01 PM   #4
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
My thoughts as well. And it's always a blast to land a nice bass if front of those telling you they know best.
Ahhh that's so true!
Old 04-01-13, 11:02 PM   #5
bassinbob

Crank you don't need a $60,000 boat to enjoy what you're doing.
Old 04-01-13, 11:18 PM   #6
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Crank you don't need a $60,000 boat to enjoy what you're doing.
ya know i guess your right
Old 04-02-13, 07:02 AM   #7
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
So I know I’ve got a crazy boat and yes I fish braid more than most….but am I really that out of the norm for fishing offshore? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6zEH...bB0BRQ&index=1
Shawn I'm not going to ask you again to get some carpet on your boat and a liner for that net tube. Seriously though, having spent considerable time out there where the shore is only visible with binoculars.........I've concluded that:

On small waters with poor/shallow boat ramps, hard to get to-electric only or HP restricted-state type lakes that are more than an hour or so from a big city--what you get are the local good ol boy types that have the "stump syndrome"....if they can't see it they don't know how to throw at it.

On big water with nice improved ramps-close to the city you'll find some men out there rubbing elbows with you. That being said there are still plenty of boys with sparkly 60K rigs running the banks.

There are always some catchable fish deep and there are always some catchable fish shallow. It's up to you to decide when and how to target.

Typically bass are in shallow water for a reason.....to eat. Typically bass are in deep water to rest-hide-chill but..............they are out there in bunches and in greater numbers and they will...........eat.

Finally I've concluded that either someone is going to Academy and buying up all the DD22's and 6XD's and putting them in the attic OR there are lots and lots of guys out there deep cranking under the cover of darkness
Old 04-02-13, 08:49 AM   #8
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Great video, great catch!
Looks like a beautiful area you're in there, although that water sure looks stained!
Old 04-02-13, 08:31 PM   #9
bamabassman

crank....i agree with the others. oyu do just fine with what YOU made with oyur OWN 2 HANDS buddy. if oyu can afford the new rig, then by all means go for it. but if oyu are like me and some others. stay the course. yeah i have a bas boat....AN OLD ONE. but in time i plan on restoring it to soem degree. may not be like i WANT it, but it'll still float and do wha ti want it to.

but IF i EVER hit the lottery.......................lol!
Old 04-04-13, 05:19 PM   #10
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Shawn I'm not going to ask you again to get some carpet on your boat and a liner for that net tube. Seriously though, having spent considerable time out there where the shore is only visible with binoculars.........I've concluded that:

On small waters with poor/shallow boat ramps, hard to get to-electric only or HP restricted-state type lakes that are more than an hour or so from a big city--what you get are the local good ol boy types that have the "stump syndrome"....if they can't see it they don't know how to throw at it.

On big water with nice improved ramps-close to the city you'll find some men out there rubbing elbows with you. That being said there are still plenty of boys with sparkly 60K rigs running the banks.

There are always some catchable fish deep and there are always some catchable fish shallow. It's up to you to decide when and how to target.

Typically bass are in shallow water for a reason.....to eat. Typically bass are in deep water to rest-hide-chill but..............they are out there in bunches and in greater numbers and they will...........eat.

Finally I've concluded that either someone is going to Academy and buying up all the DD22's and 6XD's and putting them in the attic OR there are lots and lots of guys out there deep cranking under the cover of darkness
Kenn I know you're disappointed in me. I didn’t carpet the whole thing because I still think I’m going to use tuff coat. But I’m trying to figure out a solution for the loud net holder.
Old 04-04-13, 06:48 PM   #11
Captmikestarrett

Foam from hardware store that interlocks.

Capt Mike
Old 04-05-13, 01:06 AM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have tried to accomplish the same thing. Like you said, there is a time and a place for everything. When you watch the tourneys, how many guys do really see beating the banks? A few here and there. I think there main focus is exciting the bigger schools that aren't pressured like the bank fish. Don't get me wrong though, I find myself moving in from time to time, but I am getting more comfortable by staying out of casting distance of it.
Old 04-05-13, 04:33 AM   #13
merc1997

six feet deep out in the middle of the lake is just the same as six feet deep against the bank.

bo
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-13, 08:43 AM   #14
kennethdaysale

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc1997 View Post
six feet deep out in the middle of the lake is just the same as six feet deep against the bank.

bo
Well yes it is.......in the same sense that a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead. Beyond that the differences can often be huge.
Old 04-05-13, 08:01 PM   #15
bamabassman

CRANK...GOT A BRAIN FART FOR OYUR NET HOLDER. WHAT IF OYU TOOK SOME OF THE pipe INSULATION AND PUT IT INSIDE YOUR METAL HOLDER? jaut a thought. may not work cause it may be too tight a fit. or oyu could replace the metal holder with PVC?
Old 04-10-13, 08:51 PM   #16
SaminVa

Hey Crankbait, I love fishing offshore... esp. if the graph shows fish on the ledges or in those areas.
I love deep cranking and have an arsenal of deep diving cranks, football jigs, flutter spoons and other stuff to catchem.. I've done the same thing... last summer everyone was beating the banks... I was catching fish in 25-32' of water on 10-12 inch worms and jigs... screw'em... more unpressured water for me...hehehe...lol
Old 04-10-13, 09:06 PM   #17
SaminVa

Was fishing in 25' of water with the DD22
Using the strolling technique

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.