Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-12, 09:41 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Heading out tomorrow.

I'm going to be on the water by 4AM tomorrow and I'm hoping things have turned around. After 2 months of severe drought, record highs averaging between 92-101, and a weed kill treatment a month ago, the fishing went south real quick. But it's been a month since the weed treatment, and we've had about 3 inches of rain the past two weeks. Plus today, the temps finally dipped back into the low 80's after dropping into the 60's last night. Tonight is supposed to hit 62 degrees, and tomorrow will only climb to 82. All in all, I think the bass might be active tomorrow and moving back towards the shallows. I've got 8 rods rigged and ready to go in my little 12' jon which makes it a bit crowded, maybe more than a bit. Tied on to start is a spinnerbait, buzzbait, rattlin rouge, jitterbug, frog, jig n craw, crankbait and senko. Lots of other options waitting to be tied on as well depending on conditions changing and what the bass tell me. AND, I am utilizing some things the Secret Santa gave me as well!!! Now time for bed. Three AM comes way to fast.
Old 07-27-12, 09:50 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Keith that weed kill you're dealing with can be frustrating but I have found that sometimes......after the weeds have been gone for a while the fishing can actually improve. The baitfish have nowhere to hide and the bass will get used to roaming and gorging instead of hiding and ambushing. A local lake that goes through the same weed kill/weed grow cycles has produced some excellent days for me by fishing almost exclusively with cranks. Just find the right size speed color depth and you got it licked. Good Luck
Old 07-27-12, 10:15 PM   #3
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
Keith that weed kill you're dealing with can be frustrating but I have found that sometimes......after the weeds have been gone for a while the fishing can actually improve. The baitfish have nowhere to hide and the bass will get used to roaming and gorging instead of hiding and ambushing. A local lake that goes through the same weed kill/weed grow cycles has produced some excellent days for me by fishing almost exclusively with cranks. Just find the right size speed color depth and you got it licked. Good Luck
Your right Ken. I've dealt with this every 3 years at our lakes for a long time now, and like you said, give it time and it can really turn around. Two weeks ago, I was out on Flint Lake which is where I am going tomorrow. The water seemed to have cleared up a bit from the nasty ugly green/brown it was right after the treatment. The bite was still very slow, but what fish I did catch were taken mainly in open water where as you said, they are roaming and chasing baitfish.
Old 07-27-12, 10:18 PM   #4
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Good luck!!!
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-12, 11:58 PM   #5
WatterBoy

Good luck, Keith! Looking forward to the follow-up report to see how you do.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 12:38 AM   #6
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Good luck! Hope you catch some nice ones!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 05:05 AM   #7
Hoosier
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Im hitting the lake in a few myself and as a fellow Hoosier, I can tell you i cant wait to see if this precipitation helps out the areas fishing.
Hoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 09:41 AM   #8
AUFred

Good Luck! I hope it is a grat day on the water. I want to go but too tired and too hot at the moment.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 01:32 PM   #9
keithdog

Well, it was basically a lousy day fishing. Was back home by lunchtime. I was on the water casting at 4Am and imediately hooked up with a decent bass on a Jitterbug. Then had 2 blowups in the next few casts. I caught my second bass on the new buzzbait I got from my Secret Santa. That buzzbait made by Warrier Baits is awsome! The planer head really allows the buzzbait to literally slow crawl across the surface with no effort. A few casts later, I hooked into another on my Rattlin Spook. By now I'm thinking, this is going to be a good day. About half an hour later I landed a nice two pounder on the Strike King Caffein Shad jerkbait. By now it was about 5:45AM and everything pretty much shut off. Around 9AM I hooked into another bass on a the Strike King 3XD crankbait my Secret Santa also gave me. That was cool. Two of the lures I got from the Secret Santa exchange produced for me today. Around 11:00 I caught two more on an Xcaliber 3/4 oz. lipless crank I recieved from a previous Secret Santa exchange. And that was all she wrote. Of course, the skies were nice and cloudy all week while I was at work but today there wasn't a cloud to be had. Just super bright sunny skies. That always makes it tougher. Winds were blowing hard out of the north east. So I caught about 7 bass in 8 hours. But hey, beat going to work. There were some bass blowing up on balls of shad occationally, which I was glad to see. I hadn't seen much sign of shad this year untill now. I'm hoping things will turn around come fall.
Old 07-28-12, 01:50 PM   #10
WatterBoy

Thanks for the report, Keith. Sorry the fishing wasn't a little better for you, but good to see that you at least caught a few!
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 07:04 PM   #11
USMCbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
But hey, beat going to work.
No doubt about that, I had to be in at 8 this morning and the whole time we were standing around everyone would ask how's your morning going and I'd reply it'd be a lot better if I was fishin'.

7 bass is pretty good, I'll spend that much time on the water and catch 3-4 dinks! LOL! Thanks for the report...sad to hear it wasn't better though. Sounds like the fish are starting to thrive again after the weed kill though
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 07:08 PM   #12
AUFred

Bluebird skies are a tough way to go. You saw fish, you caught fish and you stayed mostly dry. Not a bad day and no work calls.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-12, 08:45 PM   #13
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
Bluebird skies are a tough way to go. You saw fish, you caught fish and you stayed mostly dry. Not a bad day and no work calls.
True. the possitive thing is yard work got done. hahahaha If that can be possitive.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.