Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 10-15-12, 09:11 AM   #1
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Rattling jerk baits

Anyone reading this board believe the rattle of a suspending jerk bait affects the strike rate either positively or negatively?

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-12, 11:25 AM   #2
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Both.
In reality, NO bait fish or any fish for that matter makes a 'rattling sound'.

I use rattles in murky water or 'noisy' waters. This includes rivers and highly public use waters. You know the ones, jet skiers, water skiers etc.
When it's real calm the more natural the presentation, silent, I find more effective. The more the wave action the more effective noise is also.
The higher the distance from the fish also plays in.
If I'm trying to pull them 'up' from the deeper waters, noise is better.
The rattles are designed to make a fish 'look' at your bait, the rest is up to you. Different jerk styles or presentations are the true key to get them to actually bite.
I use to have one of each tied on when I intended to use jerks.
Now most the hard bodies I use will rattle.
If I think silent is best, I now use flukes.
Flukes give me more depth variation when searching for fish. They are silent and have a very similar twitch when twitching, to a hard bait.
Down fall, they don't suspend.
But again, you ever watch bait fish, even in cold water, they don't sit still very long so the extra twitching trying to keep fluke up in the water column I found really doesn't have a powerful negative effect on the bite.

Another often forgotten fact is that almost ALL hard bait lures make 'noise'. Even if there aren't rattles, the hooks hit the body of the bait making 'noise'.
This is the same for rattlin traps or any hard body crank.
So if you truly need or want 'silence', the flukes the way to go, for me.
Again the rattle is designed to get the fish to look at or towards the noise, no other reason.
That's why jerks are so good in cold water. The fish are not feeding so they are not paying attention to whats around them. The rattle or clacking makes them 'look' not bite but look towards the noise.

Good luck and I hope this gives you something to add to the decision process.
Old 10-15-12, 01:01 PM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkobojiEagle View Post
Anyone reading this board believe the rattle of a suspending jerk bait affects the strike rate either positively or negatively?

oe
oe Unless the water is really stained I always start with silent. If everything tells me a jerkbait is the way to go and I'm not getting bit or at least turns, I will switch to a rattler. Rarely though have I ever said to myself "wow! I should have been throwing this all along" Usually seems that I have to change programs completely to something un-jerky like a spinnerbait or............

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.