Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 08-09-12, 04:58 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default This has confused me my whole fishing life!

http://www.thejump.net/fishingarticl...ase-Debate.htm

The article and I've studied dozens, really doesn't give any scientic evidence of better fishing during full or new moon phases. None do.
With the exception of tidal waters.
Now this last full moon I again went to work trying to unravel this question.
Four days before....complete fish slow down, but had gradually toughened prior week.

Actual Full Moon...bust, three dinks and they didn't come easy

Four days after...bust, well slow and two days left

I left this in general terms but I do have the numbers and wieghts for seven similar tests along with this one.

I have never had to my recollection of any moon effect on my fishing with the exception of spawning periods. Moon truely triggers a strong bite.

So what do you think?

Now the next question is, how do you think day fishing is effected during a full moon phase or for that matter new moon?

Most feel it's poor do to fish full and tired from the night feed.
Again I don't see much difference.

Now some believe very strongly that there is a DEFINITE better success ratio. But could it be you just fished harder and more intensely hence had better success.

Here's my current conclusion.
I think the actual other fishing facters like wind, pressure, water temp. ect. have a whole lot more effect on fishing than any moon cycle. In other words, if all these varibales are stacked against you, the moon has very little effect on all of a sudden full moon=best fishing, like some miracle bait.
I really think that those who pay attention and follow moon phases ( I actually have a friend who schedules his vacation time based on moon phases) just flat out fish harder maybe allot more through and maybe try multiple presentations more due to the expectation of better fishing and if its not happening it's me not the fish so I have to make a change because I KNOW thier biting.

So I know the full moon effects controversy will be around as long as color choice controvesy has been around.
Lastly I'm told night lighting truely affects shad activities so maybe those of you who have shad as a major food souece have different opinions. Shad are more active during higher light situations as opposed to like a c;oudy night.

Oh almost forgot...Do you think the full moon effect only effects fishing if the moons actually visible, clear night?
Old 08-09-12, 10:01 PM   #2
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Hmmm...I'm torn on this too, and like you experimented this past full moon, with no noticeable change in catch or size of fish. Note, I mainly went out at night, and other than an 11lb Striper, my nights were "uneventful". Has anyone seen Joe Bucher's take on this? I will provide a link, I'm on my phone and can't post it now. I might have seen it on this site though(?) The jist of it though, it isn't about the phases, but about the rise and set of the moon.

Link...http://www.fishinginfo.com/moonphases.shtml

Last edited by Dogmatic; 08-09-12 at 10:22 PM.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-12, 10:55 AM   #3
justbassin4fun
BassFishin.Com Member

I fish when I have time to fish. Hitting the moon phase isn't always possible for me. But when I do hit the water during the right phase. I pay more attention to the time. I have seen articles on Majors and minor periods. I give it an hour or 2 before and after. Seems to work for me.

I notice that I was fishing a prime spot one day. I got there early and fished the same exact bait. I didn't get any bites until the major periods was supposed to a cure. Was it that the fish finally swam into the spot or was it they were turned off? I don't really know for sure, But the graph was marking fish the whole time.

It could be just like the lucky hat/shirt thing? But it does add some confidence while out on a prime period. Maybe I just fish harder?
justbassin4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-12, 07:43 PM   #4
Thornback
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I had a fishing indicator calendar for 2011. Every time I went fishing, about once a week, I would write my results (luck) on the calendar date. After one year there was no correlation between what the calendar recommended and what I experienced. Now all I watch for is to make sure there are no thunder shower coming. You only have so many days, use some of them fishing, that will add more days to your life.
Thornback is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.