Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-06, 01:42 AM   #1
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Working at Bass Pro Shops

Anyone ever work at Bass Pro Shops? I submitted my resume and got a call from the local HR manager. I'm not sure what position he has in mind. The employee discount alone might make it worth working there. Seriously, I am interested in knowing what type of career potential BPS offers. I'd appreciate any thoughts. I'll likely be interviewing some time this week.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-06, 11:51 AM   #2
adamgambill

Default Havent worked but heard

Get ready to work your a$$ off on and off the clock. I they are kinda like Wal-Mart when it comes to employees. Its probably worth the discount though. The old man that used to deliver parts for us sold trackers for them.
Old 07-22-06, 11:59 AM   #3
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

NCYankee, good luck with the interview..we shop at the same store in cincy and I've notice the salespeople are all older (50-65) and the check out clerks are 20 ish... I am not sure about the clothing and boating stuff they sell, but the sales help is pretty good at that store....
I am sure they typically see daily a "expert" that swears by a certain bait come in all the time rofl......
the only drawback I could see about working there is IF you were claustrophobic and couldn't stand the HUGE crowd during thier spring sale in late winter/early spring...what a madhouse!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-06, 11:09 PM   #4
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would end up owing them money on payday.
Old 07-23-06, 12:09 AM   #5
bassking22
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

How old do you have to be to work at one of them stores cause when Ganders built I might try to work there in a couple of years.
Old 07-28-06, 03:49 PM   #6
NCYankee

I went to a first interview at Bass Pro Shops. The HR manager interviewed me for a team leader (supervisor) position. The position is a step lower than I believe I am qualified for. I have experience as a retail manager and security manager, and I have a bachelor's in business administration.

Cons - I asked about career possibilities and moving up in the company. Of course, he said BPS was a good place for a career. When I asked how the HR manager knows who is doing well and who is promotable, the answer he gave is "we just know". He said the managers do not use objective measurs to evaluate employees. He said evaluations were subjective. In my words, those who are liked by their managers get promoted. Those who aren't liked by their managers, aren't. That's a bad business model. The HR manager didn't seem to understand the importance of the human capital value chain or job enrichment.

Pros - 40% off all BPS products. Up to 15% off all other products.

Pay - "Team leaders are paid really well" according to the HR manager. I don't know what that means. Really well compared to what?

Overall, I wasn't impressed, so I won't be interviewing further, but I sure could use that 40% discount.
Old 07-28-06, 04:23 PM   #7
adamgambill

Walmart??? Is this Russia?
Old 07-28-06, 07:45 PM   #8
Bender

A guy I know is a manager (or something like that) for a BPS marina. Basically he is in charge of taking care of boats, service, parts, etc. He says it pays pretty well and he likes it. There is the typical big company BS though.
Now if he ever make good on his offer of taking me in there and using his discount I will be in trouble, new electronics here I come.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-06, 08:04 PM   #9
JB

go for the job, once in the upper muckty mucks will surely let
you in on the bps trade secret of what makes the chatterbait work, then quit and sell the secrets to us, we'll mass market the dang thing for 1.99 and be millionares I tell ya....Swear to gawd we will
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-06, 02:37 PM   #10
senko

that would be cool.
Old 07-31-06, 05:47 PM   #11
zooker

jb listenin to donnie baker again.. watch it boys it is going to get weird. i swear to god it is..

zooker
Old 08-01-06, 07:28 PM   #12
Bender

Zooker, I got a good used boat for sale.
And my favorite Donnie Baker quote:
"You've been on your back so much I bet your feet are sunburned."
Edit: gotta go, Randy is yelling at me.

Last edited by Bender; 08-01-06 at 08:06 PM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-06, 08:24 PM   #13
CarpMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCYankee
Anyone ever work at Bass Pro Shops? I submitted my resume and got a call from the local HR manager. I'm not sure what position he has in mind. The employee discount alone might make it worth working there. Seriously, I am interested in knowing what type of career potential BPS offers. I'd appreciate any thoughts. I'll likely be interviewing some time this week.
NC Yankee , this is what you gotta do to work at BPS. A young guy from Minnesota moves to Florida and goes to a big "Everything under one roof" department store looking for a job. The Manager says, "Do you have any sales experience?" The kid says "Yeah. I was a salesman back in Minnesota." Well, the boss liked the kid and gave him the job. "You start tomorrow. I'll come down after we close and see how you did." His first day on the job was rough, but he got through it. After the store was locked up, the boss came down. How many customers bought something from you today? The kid says "one". The boss says "Just one? Our sales people average 20 to 30 customers a day. How much was the sale for?" The kid says "$101,237.65". The boss says "$101,237.65? What the heck did you sell?" The kid says, "First, I sold him a small fishhook. Then I sold him a medium fishhook. Then I sold him a larger fishhook. Then I sold him a new fishing rod. Then I asked him where he was going fishing and he said down the coast, so I told him he was going to need a boat, so we went down to the boat department and I sold him a twin engine Chris Craft. Then he said he didn't think his Honda Civic would pull it, so I took him down to the automotive department and sold him that 4x4 xpedition." The boss said "A guy came in here to buy a fishhook and you sold him a
BOAT and a TRUCK?" The kids said "No, the guy came in here to buy tampons for his wife and I said, "Dude, your weekend's shot, you should go fishing."
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-06, 10:14 PM   #14
bassking22

LOL carpy you are too much
bassking22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-06, 11:02 PM   #15
NCYankee

That's definitely what I would want to say.
Old 08-03-06, 08:07 PM   #16
bassking22

Does anybody know how old you have to be to work at Gander Mtn
Old 08-06-06, 12:20 AM   #17
flfireman

Most child labor laws require you to be 15 or 16. Unless in a third world country where you can make Nike's or clothing, that I believe starts at 5-6.
Old 08-06-06, 10:50 AM   #18
bassking22

That sucks, cuz I'm definitely in America, and when the one by my house opens, I'll be 14.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.