Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 07-01-07, 12:26 PM   #26
leroy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to leroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorOil View Post
I fished Lay Lake, AL this past Sunday from 5-10, I tried a chartruese buzzbait and a black buzzbait off and on for 2 hours, not a single bump? I tried a torpedo, jitterbug and a zara spook, nothing? I fished shallow, 2-8 ft, most of the morning until the heat kicked in. Water visibility was 4", temp was 86. I also bought some chartruese tiki sticks and some sweet potato pie tiki sticks. I've heard so much tiki sticks in this forum, I had to give them a try. I caught 2 on the sweet potato pie and 2 on the chartruese! Biggest was only 2 pounds, but catching 4 is a lot better than catching 1 or none. Last fish I caught was at 8am, after that I was trying some deeper, 15-25 ft, water with a spinner bait, visibilty was a lot better but still no action.

Thanks for the tips!!

Hey MotorOil, I live in Birmingham as well and have worked at a lot of fishing stores and also have fished in the back of the boat with some of my tournament fishing friends. Pull a Seizmic Toad or a Zoom horny Toad through those weeds, weightless. Another good thing is to take a Sizmic Toad Jr. Bite the head off and use it as a trailer on a swimming jig and swim it through those weeds. A lost of guys I have fished with Flip ofor the bass deep in those big weed beds on Lay, you don't catch as many fish but you catch more quality bass. (5+ lbs)

Lay lake is also a great place for spots. Find a good rock ledge and work a Shaker Head with a finesse worm on light line and you can usually catch your limit on those. (I use Key Lime worm from Zoom) When it gets hotter in the day we have found fish suspending about 8-12 Feet off points and underwater structure. And try and find out what times they pull the water, because they way Lay is when the water is on the fish are too. And be careful its down about 2 1/2 foot.

If you ever need a guy for the back of the boat for a weekend or something let me know. It's been a while since I have actually fished there but I have a lot of friends that are tournament fishers and this is the information they share with me. Feel free to PM me with any other questions.
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 01:21 PM   #27
basschamp4

will someone post a picture of a jitterbug so i can see it
basschamp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 11:04 PM   #28
leroy

Old 07-01-07, 11:37 PM   #29
basschamp4

thank you never seen one before
basschamp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 05:42 PM   #30
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

boy some one dragged this oine out of the celler for sure..

leroy
moteroil aint been on here for a long time -year or more-

zooker
Old 07-03-07, 09:04 AM   #31
leroy

Oh... ...well damn.
Old 07-05-07, 12:25 AM   #32
Bamabasskicker
BassFishin.Com Member

Lay Lake is a great lake to fish. Try positioning your boat at an angle to the bed you are casting toward and avoid straight to bank casts, this will keep you in th strike zone longer. Look for breaks in the grass beds, either gaps or inset areas where the grass is closer to the bank in a long bed that has grass running basically in a paralllel line to the bank. Target those areas, use roll casts to lessen splash on entry. Like so many others have said use buzzbaits. My best color on Lay has always been white ( often with some red on it ) regardless of the water clarity. I have also had good luck with Storm swimbaits run 3-4 in. below the surface on the breaks just outside the grass on that lake.
Old 07-05-07, 09:08 AM   #33
Stick-em

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em
Thumbs up

As many will suggest, there are many lures to do the trick and based on the particular water fished, it's a crap shoot until you find what they want based on conditions on top and in the water. Yesterday, fished a private lake [4 acres] that gets fished rather often for lgmouth and usually they bite a Lucky craft 101 ghost and have for years. Not yesterday, couldn't buy a bite on one when trying it. They did love the Booyahh 3/4 oz. white spinner bait/white trailer with one brass willow leaf and one silver willow leaf. Blue senko was fair but the bigger bass I caught on a spinner bait at 6:30 - 9 AM ESDT in VA.

The Jitterbug is awesome at night and have caught countless bass on it over any soft and hard plastic lures that I presently own for top water.

I just went to the Wave site to order tiki's and I wouldn't purchase anything from a site that asks for personal private info withOUT a secure encrypted page starting on page 1 of 3 would you?

Is there a dealer near Richmond, VA? I want to try some of these.
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.