Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-17-05, 12:11 PM   #26
Stick-em
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em
Default Line Twists Ah? Some?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser
I mean any time you hear the drag, like if you snag a stick and are reeling but no line is coming in. If you are reeling, hearing the noise the drag makes, and no line is coming in you are just twisting the line. That's one of the disadvantages when using ultralight.
I was going to say the same thing as Reb said which is very true advice.

Also, if you're not sure if you're spooling correctly and sometimes I do this because I am brain dead when doing it at night, I'll start out spooling it on the spinning reel the way we're supposed to and then stop approximately half full on the reel and relax the tension between the new spool and your reel to see if it wants to get squirrely [twisty] lol.. Even if it looks ok, I still turn the spool over the reel the rest on bassackwards. I believe it counters the wrong way and the right way and meets in the middle with decent casting line and I do put it out many times behind the boat when it twists when I can. I have found it doesn't make a hoot how you spool like some said when using flukes and finesse worms etc.

I did however learn about 20+ years ago from Roland Martin that using a small [good quality] sampo barrel swivel with leader which I still do on ever reel even with plastics to this day and even with spinner baits, I minimize most of all line twists. My primary line is mono and flurocarbon leaders. Some say it's just another knot to fail, but we have the right product to prevent that in just seconds.

Great Thread!

Stick~em To it!!!!

Last edited by Stick-em; 08-17-05 at 12:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-05, 12:15 PM   #27
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you have to take a serious look at how you fish and see if you are doing any of these things wrong.the line suggestions will help but you can twist any line if you don't do what we suggested.
Old 08-17-05, 07:50 PM   #28
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Anyone second some of this advice givin... i cant do everything... i heard atleast 2 diff lines and also ppl who say its not the line... well.. will the line change help a little though?
One of my new reels twists when I use Senkos and I didn't want to give up on this reel, so I tried some 14# Fireline. It completely solved the twist problem, but it is subject to the same loops and tangles that happen to mono.

Fireline is expensive to buy (around here it's $12-$13 for 125 yards), but it lasts longer than mono. I put on about half the supply (60 yards) and it's still on there more than a year later. It has tremendous abrasion resistance to vegetation.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-05, 02:10 PM   #29
airmcnair8888
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to airmcnair8888

Can you make me a link on cabelas or basspro to which Sampro swivel is the right one?

u said "I did however learn about 20+ years ago from Roland Martin that using a small [good quality] sampo barrel swivel with leader which I still do on ever reel even with plastics to this day and even with spinner baits, I minimize most of all line twists."

Thanks,

Chris
airmcnair8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-05, 10:20 AM   #30
Stick-em

Send a message via AIM to Stick-em
Default Barrel Swivels

Chris;

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...293&id=0000017

Here is the webpage. I looked just now to see what size I have and I can not find a package with the size barrel swivel that I use. Just call Cabelas and tell them what size line you're using and what species of fish you're fishing for and they will tell what size barrel swivel is compatible with your gear. If I remember correctly and someone can help me here, I believe the smaller the number swivel, the smaller the barrel swivel.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Stick-em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-05, 11:44 AM   #31
airmcnair8888
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to airmcnair8888

I ran out to Gander and bought some Stren Superbraid 8lb test and put on about half of the 125 yards and then bought some barrel swivels... tied one of them on with a liter... well see how that works.

Im using a Guide Series Tournament Spinning Reel GST30F
Ratio 5.2:1 - 8.7oz - lb/yds 6/115

Chris
airmcnair8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-05, 12:41 PM   #32
flachristopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

try using some ball bearing swivels too. But I better warn you they are highly expensive 6.00 for like 4.
flachristopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-05, 11:07 PM   #33
H2O

Hard to figure out what's the problem, however, I agree with switching your mono to kinda braid line. I recommend SpiderWire STEALTH. It is cheaper than the others and has exactly same "everything". IMO, it is even better than Powerpro.

If your reel has no problem as you said, and if you don't overspooling it. It will 100% NO PROBLEM!

Trust me, it is worth! Spirerwire STEALTH is very strong, smooth and sensitive! Also it is very QUIET, if you've heard the "music" from Powerpro...

They have a pretty decent website too : www.spiderwire.com

http://www.spiderwire.com/NonFlash/P...ductType=Braid

And it is ON SALE on Cabela now, only 9.99

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...h-results1.jsp

BTW, when fishing carp, what kind baits you use? If you use doughball or corn and fishing from bank, you probably don't need any bobber.

Last edited by H2O; 08-22-05 at 12:29 AM.
H2O is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.