Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-20-12, 02:49 PM   #1
MikeA57
BassFishin.Com Member

Default New Carolina rigs

I just got delivered 2 Fenwick HMG 7' 10" pistol grip rods that I will set up for Carolina rigging. I had been using a 6 1/2' Browning rod with a matching Browning reel. I also have a 6' rod with a Kevin VanDam reel on it. I've included pictures of these reels on the new rods.

I haven't fished with them yet, only thrown a 1/2 oz sinker tied onto the line but they seem very smooth casting. The description of the rod is that it is a heavy action rod with a moderate fast tip. It will handle 3/8oz - 1 1/2oz lures and 12 - 25Lb Line. These ought to work real well as a Carolina rig setup but I do have to mention that the tip seems a little stiff to me, but like I said I haven't fished with it yet, just threw sinkers.

Now, I've got a couple of questions. The Browning reel throws like a dream and I can cast the 1/2 oz sinker about 65-70'. With a proper 3/4 to 1 oz sinker and a salamander it should go even further. The KVD reel however, has given me fits ever since I've gotten it. On the 6' (heavy) rod I couldn't get it to cast further than 30' with a heavy lure. The clutch and drag are both adjusted correctly but the one thing I'm wondering about is the magnet setting. How do I know that I've got it set correctly? Both reels have adjustments for the magnets but I've never known how to set them up. Is it a "set & forget" deal or do I have to fine tune it for each lure I put on?

The other question I have is what is the best line to put on these reels for the Carolina rig? I've currently got 14 lb and 17 lb test monofilament on them but I'm not sure if I should use braid or spiderwire (I would think not on the spiderwire.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Browning reel on Fenwick HMG2.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	513.8 KB
ID:	7504   Click image for larger version

Name:	Browning reel on Fenwick HMG3.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	513.6 KB
ID:	7505   Click image for larger version

Name:	Browning reel on Fenwick HMG4.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	496.4 KB
ID:	7506   Click image for larger version

Name:	KVD reel on Fenwick HMG2.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	518.5 KB
ID:	7507   Click image for larger version

Name:	KVD reel on Fenwick HMG4.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	503.8 KB
ID:	7508  

MikeA57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-12, 04:52 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Mike, nice rods, however, those in the picture def. do not have pistol grips on them. A pistol grip rod is just that, one that has a handle more similar to a pistol.

You may benefit from the rod having a stiffer tip than the moderate fast rating, when you have allot line out, as in C-rigging, it becomes more difficult to get a good hookset, a faster tip will aid in getting better hooksets.

I believe the KVD reel you have pictured has ACS braking system, and does not have magnetic brakes. to adjust your reel properly, turn the ACS brakes off, adjust the spool tension so your bait slowly falls to the floor, then go back and adjust your ACS brakes with as much braking as you need to cast without backlashing the reel.

The rods you have would perform well as deep cranking rods.
Old 01-20-12, 06:14 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

totatly agreew with tavery on this one. great rods fro deep cranking there bud. good luck!!
Old 01-20-12, 10:10 PM   #4
IowaBasser
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA57 View Post
The other question I have is what is the best line to put on these reels for the Carolina rig? I've currently got 14 lb and 17 lb test monofilament on them but I'm not sure if I should use braid or spiderwire (I would think not on the spiderwire.)
In Kevin Scarselli's Fishing Line Guide, he says to use fluorocarbon in the 15-20 pound range - possibly with braid as the main line. Personally I haven't gotten on the fluorocarbon bandwagon, so I typically use 20# braid with an 8# mono leader from the swivel to the plastic. Yes 8# is light, but we don't have a whole lot of bass over 4 pounds where I fish and I don't generally fish a C-rig in heavy cover.
IowaBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-12, 12:59 AM   #5
MikeA57
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
Mike, nice rods, however, those in the picture def. do not have pistol grips on them. A pistol grip rod is just that, one that has a handle more similar to a pistol.

The rods you have would perform well as deep cranking rods.
Yeah you're right. I meant 'trigger grip'. I kind of figured that I could get double duty out of them for crankbaits.

Thanks, I'll report back as to how they work the next time I get out. We should be getting real cold here pretty soon so it may be a few weeks before I get back out there.

Iowa, I've never used FC before. What can I expect from it. I mean, is it really different tying knots and casting it? What about backlashing? Is it easier to do it or harder? I don't have a real problem with backlashes until I get tired and then I sometimes get a nice nest made...

Oh yeah, I went back out tonight and threw the Browning some with a 1 oz weight on it and I did get a little more distance. And last night I was stepping off and counting the distance between the joints in my driveway and I thought they were 10' apart but tonight I questioned that so I measured it. Each section is 12' wide and not 10' like I thought. So, I was casting the 1/2 oz weight about 70' last night and tonight it was going close to 85' so I'm pretty happy with that. The rods feel real nice.
Old 01-21-12, 02:29 AM   #6
Tavery5

Let us know how the rods work out for you. I would think that with that much weight and the length of those rods, a guy should be able to get 90 to 120 ft, or 30 to 40 yards easily. Try backing off your spool tension a little and see if it helps increase your distance.
Old 01-21-12, 08:52 AM   #7
IowaBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA57 View Post
Iowa, I've never used FC before. What can I expect from it. I mean, is it really different tying knots and casting it? What about backlashing? Is it easier to do it or harder? I don't have a real problem with backlashes until I get tired and then I sometimes get a nice nest made...
I don't use flourocarbon, mainly because I fish spinning reels. The one time I tried flourocarbon I didn't like it and I've read plenty that FC doesn't perform well on spinning gear. However, I think I'm going to start using FC leaders for clear water and finesse presentations: probably 8 or 10 pound Seaguer InvisX (Flourocarbon) tied to 20 or 30 pound Suffix 832 (Braid). It's a pricey combination; I don't have high end (expensive) rods and reels by any stretch of the imagination - but I've always been willing to spend more $ on my line.

I haven't fished with leaders often - I didn't like the idea of adding another knot (weak point) to my line. However, by using a leader I'm hoping to get 2 benefits:
1. Longer life out of my braid by tying on new leader instead of cutting off a couple feet of the main line every time I change lures. (...or get a knick in my line)
2. Decreased line visibility.

Braid with a FC leader seems to be the choice of line for most people on bait-casting gear. If you read around, you will find a few people who use flourocarbon as their main line. Of course everyone has their own preference for brands. In cold weater flourocarbon has a reputation for becoming very stiff, which might mean more back-lashes and less casting distance.

Also, there are a couple of people on this forumn who really like P-Line CXX, which is a flourocarbon blend - less expensive than true FC with many of the same benefits.

Last edited by IowaBasser; 01-21-12 at 09:03 AM.
Old 01-21-12, 12:57 PM   #8
Tavery5

I am going to disagree with Iowabasser on this, many people use FC line as a main line with baitcasting equipment. The braid with a FC leader is most often used with spinning equipment.

There are trade-offs with FC line, it has many properties that make it a great line, in many situations, but it also has properties that many people don't care for and those people choose a different line to get the job done.

Some of the reported benefits of FC line are, less stretch, less visible, increased sensitivity, greater abrasion resistance, and it is a sinking line because of it's density which makes it a great line for many techniques.

Some of the reported negatives of FC line are, some has more stretch than comparable mono line, in tests it is just as visible to the human eye as mono and copoly lines of the same dia. poor knot strength, and less manageable, not to mention it's cost.

I mentioned trade-off above, because in my experience no one FC line has all of the benefits without some of the negatives. The trick is find one that has a very nice balance. What I have experienced is that when you find a FC line that is supple and manageable with good knot strength, it will have allot of stretch and sacrifice some sensitivity. There are many of us on here who have through experience and testing have found that Seaguar InvisX is a good line with more good than bad. I use it as my only choice for FC line. With that said, I still prefer a good copoly line, with or without a FC coating. Two of the better copoly lines with FC coating I have used are made by P-line, I like CX and Voltage.

Good luck with search, there have been some very good discussions on here about FC lines in the past, a quick search should give you more info than you will imagine.
Old 01-22-12, 09:42 AM   #9
IowaBasser

Quote:
I am going to disagree with Iowabasser on this, many people use FC line as a main line with baitcasting equipment. The braid with a FC leader is most often used with spinning equipment.

There are trade-offs with FC line, it has many properties that make it a great line, in many situations, but it also has properties that many people don't care for and those people choose a different line to get the job done.

Some of the reported benefits of FC line are, less stretch, less visible, increased sensitivity, greater abrasion resistance, and it is a sinking line because of it's density which makes it a great line for many techniques.

Some of the reported negatives of FC line are, some has more stretch than comparable mono line, in tests it is just as visible to the human eye as mono and copoly lines of the same dia. poor knot strength, and less manageable, not to mention it's cost.

I mentioned trade-off above, because in my experience no one FC line has all of the benefits without some of the negatives. The trick is find one that has a very nice balance. What I have experienced is that when you find a FC line that is supple and manageable with good knot strength, it will have allot of stretch and sacrifice some sensitivity. There are many of us on here who have through experience and testing have found that Seaguar InvisX is a good line with more good than bad. I use it as my only choice for FC line. With that said, I still prefer a good copoly line, with or without a FC coating. Two of the better copoly lines with FC coating I have used are made by P-line, I like CX and Voltage.

Good luck with search, there have been some very good discussions on here about FC lines in the past, a quick search should give you more info than you will imagine.
Thanks for the input! I don't have much experience with Flourocarbon, and none with FC on a bait-caster. What experience I did have with FC was with Vanish on spinning gear in 35 degree weather... not a good combination to say the least.

I do like my braid (especially Suffix 832.) It's sensative, strong, has a small diameter, is abrassion resistance, has good knot strength, and it's very manageable on spinning reels. The only real negative I find with braid is it's visibility.

Of course you can always find application specific examples where the benefits of braid work against you... like using braid for crank-baits; because of it's low stretch, your hooks can tear out on the hook-set. Then there's the counter arguement that if you have a flexible enough rod you can get away with a low-stretch line. There's always a "what about this situation?!"

You have to find out what works for you. Getting input from those with experience can help you form an opinion on what will work best for you... then you have to go out and test your theory! Finding a good stating point will save you some experimentation... which is money and perhaps even more valueable, quality fishing time!
Old 01-22-12, 11:01 AM   #10
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaBasser View Post
You have to find out what works for you. Getting input from those with experience can help you form an opinion on what will work best for you... then you have to go out and test your theory! Finding a good stating point will save you some experimentation... which is money and perhaps even more valueable, quality fishing time!
Well said.........
Old 01-23-12, 02:59 PM   #11
DVT Mike

Make sure the Quantum is set up correctly. Turn off the brake and adjust the cast control cap just to where there is no side to side movement in the spool. Tie on your rig and tighten the cast control until the rig falls slowly to the ground and the spool stops. You can then set the brake at 1/2 strength and test cast. Remember when casting a C-rig to cast the weight and not the plastic. If you still don't have good results you may want to consider having the reel professionally cleaned and properly lubed, maybe even tuned at some point.
Old 01-25-12, 05:35 PM   #12
MikeA57
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys, yeah the line factor has always thrown me for a loop. Each type has +'s and -'s and one is good for this but not that except under "these" conditions, it just gets crazy.

DVTMike, That is essentially a brand new reel; not in age anymore but I've hardly fished it because it's never thrown well. I'll try what you say and if it still doesn't work I may take it in. I've got a bud that works at our BPS here so I'm sure he'll check it out for me.

I can't wait to use these rods but it may be awhile before I get back out there...
Old 01-26-12, 06:33 PM   #13
merc1997

Quote:

tavery, i liked your explaination about fc lines. i keep going away from fc for the very fact of snapping into on the hookset. when stren first came out with prime many years ago, it was the first co-poly line. i field tested it for stren, and had the same trouble with it. you did not know which hookset it was going to let go. i still just stick with mono and braid. i have had lots of guys sit in the boat with me fishs fc and same thing, line breaks on the hookset. i could get inot a much longer explaination of, at least from my findings, as to why it does that. but will just leave that for another time. as you said, just find one that works for you and be happy.
merc1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-12, 07:28 PM   #14
kennethdaysale

^^^^^^^^^agreed. The best way to sum up FC in my experience, and I've tried several, is brittle. I'm only using it this year on a drop shot rig since I lean on those fish rather than set. My experience with copoly is dated but when I tried them the line would shred(seperate).

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.