Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-16-12, 06:34 PM   #1
Scott the fishman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default What am i doing wrong?

I was pre-fishing this trophy lake for my next tournament. The pattern is a red rattle trap. I have a few so i started throwing them. I think i did everything as in yanking it through grass, yo yoing it, buzzing it quick in the top of the water column, quick bursts. I didnt catch one. The other kid who i say is the next kevin vandam caught two 5lbers and one solid 3 lber. He knows how to fish real well but what is your take on it? And he wasnt pulling a fast one on me, he is only 12....
Old 04-16-12, 06:57 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Did you see his fish?
Old 04-16-12, 06:58 PM   #3
Scott the fishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Did you see his fish?
Yes i did it was weighed and had pictures and there was a witness it was legit and honestly i didnt surprise me the kid is going to junior nationals.
Old 04-16-12, 07:52 PM   #4
nobass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

some days you eat the bear and other the days the bear eats you
Old 04-16-12, 07:53 PM   #5
WTL

You're asking the one question in fishing that none of us can really answer. "why did a bass decide to strike?"

Thats not to say the young vandam you speak of isnt doing something special...surely he is doing something, and the bass like it.

You can check stuff like line weight, to makes sure its the same he is using, and retrieve speed (which is not the same as how fast you reel, but how fast the trap is moving) or whether you are in his exact location, but even then it can be hit or miss. So just reyrace your details. Pay close attention.
Old 04-16-12, 08:41 PM   #6
WallStreetAmigo

I wish I had a quarter for every time I fished with a buddy out of the same boat using similar baits/setups only to have him slay them while I get skunked or vice versa.

There are so many variables that simply fishing the same lure as someone else won't guarantee success. It is only one small piece of the puzzle..........and the fun part of fishing is figuring out YOUR pattern on that particular lake. Follow the rules of thumb and accepted local practice for sure but always be willing to step outside that when the situation calls for it.
Old 04-16-12, 10:05 PM   #7
lilmule

Some times not just in traps but think they are ahead in this ,some make a different sound,like the old one rattle,but even two off the shlf from same place one might be a tad higher pitched or something.Then to theres line diameter,ive had one rod get hits over another and both had same bait,different line and same line,so to some degree action of the rod also comes into play.The theres days one just has to knockem in the head or just toss in front of them to get a reaction strike and he possibly just tossed to several and you didnt -go figure
Doesnt mean you did anything wrong-possibly he just did everything right and had luck.
Its nothing to take personal no magic secret,unless he knows something at 12 doubtfull.
Possibly even repeating his whatever without even knowing it.
Ive been bit because I stopped the bait and was doing something else other than fishing,my movements must have been twitching the bait,surprise fish on.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 10:40 PM   #8
jwm2201
BassFishin.Com Member

If you smoke, or some smell transfered to the lure. There are to many factors to count just keep casting.
jwm2201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-12, 10:49 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01

The best thing you can do is find your own pattern. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with trying to capitalize on a pattern that someone else unlocked, we all hear dock talk and have been guilty of trying to make it work for us. But a lot of times some one can take you to the exact spot they have been catching fish, hand you the rod they were using with the bait they were catching them on and you won't get the same results. You know a very big piece of the puzzle by knowing that he caught fish on a lipless crankbait. But if it isn't working for you then make small changes to the pattern until you get a pattern that works for you dialed in. Maybe you will catch fish on squarebills, spinnerbaits, or maybe different areas entirely. But take what you know is working for him and build on it with what you can get to work for you and you will probably have better results.
Old 04-19-12, 06:20 AM   #10
kennethdaysale

Scott Rather than assume that a Red Trap is the pattern, try thinking more about speed-depth-location-profile. Not to say that there aren't going to be days that the fish will be very lure specific, but generally if you can duplicate the four factors above you're good to go.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.