Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-09, 06:13 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Painting spinnerbait heads

I've been making my own spinnerbaits for a couple years now with thanks to Rebs guidence. Recently I got to using KVD's bluegill pattern spinnerbait and the success has been more than I expected. Lets say I've caught a few on it. Well, I would like to make my own versions of that spinnerbait. I've always used prepainted spinnerbait heads for making my own, however I can't find any heads with a bluegill colored finish. I'd like to have some that are olive green with an orange underside. I know how to use powdercoat paint for jig finishes. You dip the heated jighead into the little powdercoat paint bottle and hang to dry. But I can't see this working with a spinnerbait head. You won't be able to dip it into the bottle with the built in wire frame. So I was looking for tips for painting spinnerbait heads. Is there a way to powdercoat paint a spinnerbait heads or is there another prefered method to paint them?
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 06:56 PM   #2
bamabassman

i can't answer your question keith. but i sure would like to see some of your spiners. that is unless you don't want me to see em,lol. i think you could dip the hook end to the head and afterit cures scrap off the hook. does this make any sense? i truly don't know.
Old 05-22-09, 07:17 PM   #3
paducahbasser
BassFishin.Com Member

Can you paint it on with a small brush instead of dipping it? I have no clue, just a thought.
paducahbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-09, 07:24 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

A brush will work if you're using a vinyl paint, but not powderpaint. The best thing I could recommend is a fluid bed, but they're expensive, especially ones big enough for spinnerbaits. Mine us custom built, all except for the paint cups (which I buy from netcraft) because they have a special filter material on the bottom that's super expensive and comes in like 4'x8' boards. some of the other spinnerbait building guys may be able to give you a better idea than mine.

BB
Old 05-23-09, 02:12 AM   #5
carolina-rig-01

since spinnerbaits don't take the beating that a jighead will i would probably just spray paint them. it would be a lot quicker and you can repaint them if the paint starts chipping. other than spray paint i would agree with bb on the vinyl paint, it is really tough and dries fast but be sure and thin it out a lot.
Old 05-23-09, 02:35 AM   #6
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Powder coat - you will need a fluid bed. I've done spinnerbaits in them. Can find them for less than $75.
Air brush - will give you a real nice paint job.
Problem with either is IT'S COSTLY unless you are going to do it as a business.
If you are only going to make a few for yourself, use a brush. Put an epoxy coating on them after the paint dries and you should have a very usable bait. Sharpie markers can also be used for the gills or other details you may want to add - prior to the final epoxy coat.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-09, 09:50 AM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

You can pick up cheap air brush from walmart for like 30-40 I think. That'll let you add the colors you want to the bottom, and you can probably customize it really good. bassboogieman, had a good point. mix enough epoxy and dip the head in that. let it dry and you'll never be able to chip it.

BB
Old 06-04-09, 11:36 PM   #8
Christopherkeene9

Can you send me one? I would like to see what I can do with some paint. I have all the stuff at work and would be using Top of the Line Automotive paint.
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 12:57 AM   #9
Bender

If you can get it into a fluid bed the cheapest place for them I have found is here: www.tjstackle.com
You can also make the whole thing or just the cups pretty cheap out of some PVC and some people use brown paper bags or coffee filters at the bottom with an aquarium air pump supplying the air.
Also I imagine you can paint them however you want with a brush and then seal them with either clear fingernail polish or this stuff that works very well: http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fishing...025000411.aspx
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-09, 05:43 AM   #10
bassfshn2002
BassFishin.Com Member

I have used enamel on spinner heads before, dipped in not brushed. The kind you get in small jars for model cars at hobby shops. It will chip some but in my experience it lasted longer than a spray from a can.
That being said I have heard of powder coating them and that it lasts longer. I just wish I had the set up to do it.
bassfshn2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.