Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-10-08, 03:54 PM   #1
jwl506
BassFishin.Com Member

Default livewell fix?

i have an 85 stratos that has the front and rear livewells. the front livewell is busted it has a large hole in it since i purchased it. I am trying to find a replacement insert to fix this problem if anyone has an idea of what to do please help!

Last edited by jwl506; 01-10-08 at 03:54 PM. Reason: mis spelled
jwl506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 06:03 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

is this the big front one or the small front one? mine is a 12 gallon-thats the small one-if you do not use it i would go to west marine or overtons and buy inserts that fit the hole and make it dry storage..finding the live well replace ment for an 85 is very tough to do..

zooker
Old 01-10-08, 07:16 PM   #3
jwl506
BassFishin.Com Member

Default thanks

thanks zooker. it is the small one. where is it i need to go to? is this a dumb question or is there someone who actually may make an insert for it? I really need to use it for a livewell since the back one is going to play heck holding more than 3 large fish or 4 good fish and keep them alive. I do appreciate your response and hope i can get this fixed instead of paying some outrageous price for fiberglass work (already quoted 400 to 500 bucks) to repair this thing.
jwl506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-08, 07:47 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

mine is a insert it slides into a front compartment. remove the hoses and the lid this should give you acess to the insert screws.. a compartment liner can be used as a live well if you can find one to fit in your compartment..

my stratos is an 02 btw..

zooker
Old 01-12-08, 10:04 AM   #5
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If ya can take pics of the crack that would be great. You DONT have to replace. I can lead you through how to fix it and relatively easy and very inexpensive.
Old 01-17-08, 08:54 PM   #6
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Marine Grade Bondo

Hi,

I tinker with boats and am by no means a pro at it but if you want usablility and don't really care how it looks I would recomend marine grade bondo or fiberglass repair and some some plaster wall tape. The tape has square holes in it. Now you just take the tape and mix up some bondo and lighty start working the bondo onto the tape over the hole. If it is possible apply it from both sides. Apply a thin layer to one side and let dry. then apply one to the other side and let dry. keep repeating the process untill you get a good seal over it. you may have to apply several times to get the thickness or the leak to stop. After you are done sand it down on the outside so it doesn't look bad and paint with a good high gloss spray paint. May not be the prettiest girl at the ball but can still dance with the best of them. Just make sure the bondo is dry before you apply the next coat.

Bondo, tape and spray paint will cost about 15 bucks at walmart.

Hope this helps,
BP
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.