Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 01-16-08, 11:40 PM   #1
flipp'n_stick
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Need help

I need someones opinion on this, I can buy a 91 or 92 bass tracker tx17 with a 40 horse johnson, all the options work, the motor runs great and he's only asking $2000, and I am wondering if thats a good deal or should I keep looking??
flipp'n_stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-08, 01:45 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i don't know anything about trackers, or alumnium boats in general but i am sure someone will reply soon that does. i would say to have the motor checked out by a mechanic, the motor is all you are paying for and if it blows up then you are up a creek.
Old 01-17-08, 10:39 AM   #3
Jackl
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

STICK,
I owned a TX-17 about 20 years ago and loved it until I started fishing larger lakes, then it almost drowned me. They are a great starter boat if you are going to fish smaller lakes, under 12,000 acres or less.
Mine had a 50 HP Meerc and would run about 40 mph on smooth water, but was rough riding on windy days.
As RIG said, get the motor checked out and you should not have any problems with the unit.
You should be able to get your money out of it it you ever want to trade up, as most people are willing to put $2,000 into a starter boat.
JACKL
Old 01-17-08, 12:49 PM   #4
chubs
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If your looking at the used boat market,always have a compression tester with you this is the fastest way to check the powerhead to see if may be on its way to failure.
If there is anyway they will let you test it out in the water do it,mainly what your looking for is the shifting and hull damage run it for a little while and look for leaks then when your done put it on trailer and pull the lower unit drain plug and check for metal chunks,it is normal to have small amounts of fillings on the magnet, but not chunks!
Remeber not all technicians are created equal and it is hard to check out a boat out of water. A dyno test is the only way a motor can be checked out of the water and this will cost you some money!so buy a Compression tester and grab a buddy that knows a little about boats and check it out!
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-08, 04:08 PM   #5
1FASTLASER

Actually a little on the high side. That tracker is the riveted model so I am sure there are gonna be some leaks. That motor is gonna have some hours on it. Unless that motor is in GREAT condition thats a great compression test reading and the skeg looking like it was taken care of. What I mean the skeg taken care of I mean he took his time in shallow water and didnt bang it into things all the time. Ifn the motor checks out and the carpet isnt completely worn out and the wiring looks like its in good shape and it is something you think you would like then its not a nad deal. I do know that for $2000 you could find a little newer boat with a bigger engine if you took the time and really looked.
Old 01-19-08, 04:31 PM   #6
1FASTLASER

Just to give ya a for instance look at what I just found.........great running boat and a little more money but A WHOLE LOT MORE BOAT to boot

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1992-...spagenameZWDVW
Old 01-19-08, 07:08 PM   #7
boater
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In St Louis that would be a great deal a 16 foot john boat with a 9 hp and sets would sell for that
boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-08, 02:13 PM   #8
flipp'n_stick
BassFishin.Com Member

Given my situation, 21 yrs old, still going to college, dont have a whole lot of money, dont have a bunch of big lakes to fish, the location of the boat to me, dont have a big truck to pull a 3000 pound fiberglass boat around, a bass tracker is what I would need...
Old 01-22-08, 12:29 AM   #9
renagadebee34
BassFishin.Com Member

tracker boats are great but so much can go wrong with older ones. with 2 grand you can get a pretty decent fiberglass boat
renagadebee34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-08, 01:01 AM   #10
flipp'n_stick
BassFishin.Com Member

i would go with a fiberglass one, but my IMO a fiberglass boat would be too heavy for my ranger to pull....
Old 01-22-08, 01:55 AM   #11
carolina-rig-01

flipp'n stick....whatever you get make sure it has enough room for at least twice as much stuff as you plan to put in it. just ask some of these guys, a boat won't grow but the amount of fishing stuff you own never stops growing.
Old 01-22-08, 05:50 PM   #12
flfireman

Ranger should pull a small glass boat w/o any problems. That's what Zooker uses. I have a aluminum also. $2,000. is a little high. Spent $1200. on mine w/ 50hp Rude. Very well maintained when I got it.
Old 01-22-08, 10:07 PM   #13
bassdaddy
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
flipp'n stick....whatever you get make sure it has enough room for at least twice as much stuff as you plan to put in it. just ask some of these guys, a boat won't grow but the amount of fishing stuff you own never stops growing.
he can always get a dingy to pull behind it
bassdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-08, 08:49 PM   #14
flipp'n_stick
BassFishin.Com Member

to you guys, what is this boat worth?? 1500??
Old 01-23-08, 09:09 PM   #15
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
Ranger should pull a small glass boat w/o any problems. That's what Zooker uses.

i have pulled my stratos with 3 rangers,a sable wagon, and a nissan. one ranger had the lil 2.0l 4 popper the other two have had the 3.0l v6. my pop pulled my stratos several times and has a lil in line 4 banger in his nissan, a 3.8l v6 in the sable wagon they all pulled it well..

between the place i store the boat and any of the lakes are several big hills. no problems...

zooker..
Old 01-23-08, 10:53 PM   #16
1FASTLASER

To be honest to give 1500 for that boat it would have to be in top knotch shape. I can show you any number of boats that are later models with bigger engines for the original asking price of 2000 and a Ranger with a 4 cyl would pull the dickens out of it, I jus received notice today of a boat tha is a 17'6" Stratos that can be bought for 2500 its a 94 model. I personally know this boat and its damn well worth it. A little faded and carpet worn some but a good buffing and she would look alot better and your truck would pull iy cause thats exactly what he pulls hhis boat with.
Old 01-24-08, 12:06 AM   #17
flipp'n_stick
BassFishin.Com Member

but the thing is im in northwest indiana, and wanted to stay a little close to here, so i dont spend 500 in gas, then its 3000 instead of 2500...
Old 01-24-08, 06:18 AM   #18
1FASTLASER

Ok look at it this way when the thing was new right off the show room floor with that 40 Johnson price tag was 9000-9500. The boat is now close to17years old. I would wanna make sure that boat wouldnt cost me one cent other than fuel to run it. I owned a 90 model of the SAME boat you have. Just I had a different motor and it to cam off the showroom floor back when BassPro was in Springfeild only.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.