Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-23-09, 09:39 PM   #1
triton1369
BassFishin.Com Member

Default what rod and reel setups do you carry

I am relativly new to bass fishing, and was wondering what you guys carry when you enter a tournament. How many rod and reel setups do you guys start the tourny with, how are they set up, what rod length, action and weght line are on them, and lastly what do you each setup to do.
Thanks guys
triton1369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 10:02 PM   #2
ky southern

1 7 ft mh extreme rod-7 to 1 extreme reel with 15pound floroclear -- jigs

1 7ft mh extreme rod-6 to 4 extreme reel with 15 pound floroclear--- texas rig

1 6 ft 6 extreme mh rod-6 to 4 extreme reel with 15 pound floroclear-spinnerbaits

1 6 ft 6 shimano crucial-6 to 4 extreme reel with 15 pound floroclear-sometimes texas rigged lizards,chigger craws,spinnerbaits,but usually in the rod locker for a spare to any above

1 7 ft med extreme rod-5 to 4 extreme reel with 14 pound bass pro excel-crankbaits,pop-r,lucky craft topwaters

1 6 ft 6 bionic blade with a plfueger president spinning reel-8 pound floroclear- shaky head,crappie fishing,some real light crankbaits.
Old 03-23-09, 11:01 PM   #3
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

I've got 20+ combos I keep in the boat. Rather than list all of them, I'll break it down this way:

Treble hook baits: 6-6 M action for all but the big, deep runners. I use a MH for those.

Single hook baits(worms, jigs, etc.) 6-6 or 7' MH or H action.

I pretty much have a dedicated rod for each application. If I had to take just a few setups I'd take a couple of each lengths/actions.
Old 03-23-09, 11:09 PM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I haven't got to fish tourneys in a while, but here is my set up for an outing:
6-6 Castaway MH Soft touch Series with Shinamo Curado 6.2:1 - 17 Flouro - TX Rigs
6-6 Castaway M Jerk Bait Series w/Curado 6.2:1- 12 mono-Soft and hard jerk baits
6-6 Castawy M Casting Series w/Curado 6.2:1 - 12 mono-Top water, drop shot, shakey head, light TX Rigs.
6-6 Castaway MH Worm rod w/Curado 6.2:1 - 17 Flouro-Heavy Carolina & TX rigs & Jigs
6-6 American Rodsmith M w/Curado 7.0:1 - 12 mon-Buzz & spinner baits, crankbaits
Old 03-24-09, 12:04 AM   #5
TravisRush
BassFishin.Com Active Member

7'6" Daiwa Heartland w/older Abu Garcia Ambassadeur - 20 mono - swimbaits
7'6" Shimano Clarus (telescoping) MH w/Daiwa Advantage 6.3:1 - 15 mono - jigs, t rigs
7' Shimano Clarus M and moderate w/Shimano Curado 5.0:1 - 12 fluoro - Cranks
7' Shimano Clarus MH w/Quantum Accurist 6.2:1 - 20 mono - pitching
6'6" Shakespeare Agility M w/Shimano Citica 6.2:1 - 15 mono - spinnerbaits, jerks, buzz
6' Ugly Stik M w/Shimano Sahara - 8 mono - drop shot, shakey heads, tubes, weightless
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 12:23 AM   #6
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Though I've lent/given away over a dozen rigs over the last couple of years I can still field a "team" of over 20 rigs should that be necessary. Still, I try to minimize the numbers by assessing all the factors; Season; Weather; Past history and experience, and current reports from the particular body of water I intend to fish.
The most I've carried in perhaps four years is an even dozen (Well, OK, 14, but some were there for "testing".) but on my all-too-few most recent trips I've managed to pare the numbers to so low as 7. After all, dropshotting and finesse stuff isn't of much use at Choke Canyon. Conversely, the lighter stuff is generally de rigeur at Canyon Lake (no relation to Choke Canyon; Choke Canyon is further south, has lots of dense aquatic vegetation, far larger bass in general, and is a55-deep in some VERY large 'gators.)
Whittling down the stuff, both rods and other tackle, can be daunting at times. There's always the fear that one will wind up saying "If ONLY I had brought that 6'4.891" Medium Moderate Fast Split Grip rod and that purple reel with 27 bearings and 8.75:1 retrieve!" or "Dang! I KNEW I should've brought that bag of Slimey Slider Worms in Hyena Vomit/Corn Flake!"
Stop and think of all the times that so many as half the rods, rigged and ready at the start of the venture, were never even picked up during the course of the day. That'll inspire you to be more selective (maybe.)
Consider this...One less rod on the deck is one less that might be stomped on or wind up going overboard.

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 12:35 AM   #7
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have others but here is what i usually use. these setups usually cover any pattern i may be fishing and if i have to junk fish most of the time they do the job as well.......sometimes when junk fishing i have to carry some others but this is the most common lineup:

1. falcon original 7' mh with a revo sx 6.4:1. finesse jigs and soft plastics
2. falcon cara 6'6" mh with a revo sx 7.1:7. soft plastics, spinnerbaits, topwater (especially buzzbaits)
3. falcon cara head turner 7' h with a revo sx 6.4:1. football jigs
4. falcon original 6'6" mh with a revo sx 6.4:1 spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, larger crankbaits
5. falcon cara 7' m with a revo sx 6.4:1. jerkbaits, topwater
6. falcon original 7 'm with david fritts 5.2:1. crankbaits
7. falcon original 7' m with david fritts 4.7:1. crankbaits
Old 03-24-09, 05:04 AM   #8
CCbass

The reality is I fish what I like for a situation, I read comments and I fish. If I find a combo that works with what I have read I use it, If I find something to my liking that is not there choice I use it.
CCbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 11:54 AM   #9
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass View Post
The reality is I fish what I like for a situation, I read comments and I fish. If I find a combo that works with what I have read I use it, If I find something to my liking that is not there choice I use it.

I think your secretly Yoda. Sometimes you understanding hard time have I.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 01:31 PM   #10
aikenyounggun

well when im prefishin my dad and ill have as many rods as we can fit on the deck... these cover pretty much all applications.... but on tournament day if we have a pattern that is cut down to maybe 5 or 6 rods..... lets say its cold and you got to finesse them

5.5 ft m for shaky head

7ft for jig

6.5 for texas

just have to cover everything when practicin
Old 03-24-09, 01:37 PM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbass

I think your secretly Yoda. Sometimes you understanding hard time have I.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
Old 03-24-09, 04:47 PM   #12
bassboogieman

TOO MANY, but you asked.
Casting:
Kistler Helium LTA 7'-6" H, w/Pflueger President wide spool, 50# braid frogs and plastic on top of mats, punching heavy grass
2 - Kistler Helium LTA's 7'-0" H, w/ Scorpion Quickfire & Shimano Castaic, 30# braid generally for pitching jigs and plastic creature baits
Kistler Helium LTA 7'-0" MH w/Pfuleger President2, 15# Yo-Zuri small swimbaits (basstrix size), 10" worms, pitching tubes, Carolina rigs, if I have to throw DEEP crankbaits (rare I do it) I use it for that also. I think I need a couple more of these.
Kistler Helium LTA 6'-9" MH w/Pflueger Patriarch, 15# Yo-Zuri Senko's
Kistler Helium LTA 6'-6" MH w/Pflueger Patriarch, 12# Yo-Zuri Worms
2 - Kistler Helium LTA 6'-9" M w/Pflueger Patriarch's, 15# Yo-Zuri Spinnerbaits
Kistler Graphite Plus Popper Special 7'-0" M, w/Pflueger President2, 12# Yo-Zuri topwater baits
2 -Kistler Graphite Plus Composite Crankbait Specials 7'-0" M w/Pflueger Summit & Asaro Summit w/12# Yo-Zuri for lipless baits, Asaro w/10# Yo-Zuri for crankbaits 8' - 12'
Kistler Graphite Plus Composite Crankbait Special 6'-6" M w/ Pflueger Asaro, 10# Yo-Zuri crankbaits down to 6'

Spinning:
Kistler Helium LTA 7'-0' M, w/Pflueger Supreme, 20# braid dropshot (8# f/c leader)
Kistler Helium LTA 6'9" M, w/ Pflueger Supreme, 8# Yo-Zuri Ultra Soft Shakey head, finesse wacky worms, small tubes.
Kistler Helium LTA 6'-6" M, w. Pflueger President, 8# Yo-Zuri Ultra Soft finesse plasics, small crankbaits.
Kistler Helium LTA 6'-6" MH, w, Pflueger President, 20# braid Skipping docks, or into underhanging trees.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 03-24-09 at 04:52 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-09, 05:46 PM   #13
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

dang.. those kistler heliums are like 270 a pop
Old 03-24-09, 07:00 PM   #14
abu4600

I carry 4 6'6" mh extreme rods for T-rigs and jigs.
1 6'6" mh bionic blade rod for C-rigs, frogs.
2 5'6" mh bionic blade rods for spinnerbaits,buzzbaits,cranks and topwaters.
2 6'6" mh extreme spinning rods for drop shot, shakeyheads and tubes.
All baitcasters are garcia 4600's with 6.3.1 retrieve loaded with 15 or 20# green trilene big game line. Spinning reels are garcia cardinals with 5.1 retrieve and loaded with 8# green trilene xl.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.