Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-09, 09:50 AM   #1
nick1234
BassFishin.Com Member

Default What pound line for a spinning reel?

I was wondering what pound line for a spinning reel, used for general fishing purposes, which includes jigging, would be best and why. I am looking to go on the heavier side but I am unsure of the best line test.
nick1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 10:20 AM   #2
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

I'd say 8 pound test. It's stronger than 4 or 6, and it's not as much of a hassle as 10 - it'll cast much smoother and handle better. 10 is doable, but I prefer 8. It also depends on the spool size of your reel. If you've got a large spool, 10 should work just fine.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 10:35 AM   #3
cassidyta

For mono I usually go with 6 or 8. I have gone as high as 12, but it has some twist issues on the reel that I use.
Since you are saying that this will be used for jigging, I would suggest using a 20lbs braid and adding a leader for finese type applications.
Old 06-16-09, 10:59 AM   #4
grug
BassFishin.Com Member

This is a topic near and dear to my heart (God, I need a life! )
I fish local ponds wading with one spin outfit and been playing with all makes of line for years. Here are my findings:

-Dont go by mfc.'s ratings of pound test, go by line thickness. (i.e. .011" avg. dia. is common 8lb. test rating but breaks on a fresh knot at about 11-12 lbs.)

-Previous years I have had issues with .012" line on say a Symetre 2500 size reel. This year I am using a Shimano Saros 3000 (slightly larger spool than a 2500 size) and having good success using .012" line on this reel.) Perhaps this relates to Shimano's new spool design.

-.012" line will break at say 13-15 lbs. depending on knot etc. and is quite adequate for handling just about any condition I find myself in.

-Good lines I have used in this diameter are Suffix Seige, Gamma Co-polymer and now Viscious Co-polymer..all rated on box at 10lb. and average diameter of .12"...Very limp line and I find the co-poly's tobe most freindly and very good knot strength.

Now one thing for handling any spinning line is always close your bail by hand, not by the reel handle. Make your cast, finger the line with your index finger on your rod hand, grab the line when the cast is over with your index finger on rod hand, and close bail with your free hand. This will eliminate 95% of any loops possibly made.

Try that and in 20 minutes this will become second nature and I do it all the time throwing spinnerbiats, buzzers etc. and can start a fast retreive just like with a baitcaster.

My 2 cents...

Tight Lines!
grug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-09, 11:25 AM   #5
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would go with 12 - 14, I've put 14 cajin red on a spinning reel with out a problem!
Old 06-16-09, 11:39 AM   #6
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

i've always been a fan of the cajun red.

but this year, anthonys gone loco with the line testing, spool up once or so, and try another line.well he got ahold of in my opinion, the best line so far. Its on 3 of his, and 3 of mine and still some left

The Suffix Seige 10lb. We use smoke green.
i love it. make sure its seige, the other [cant think of the name of it] has wayyyy too much memory.this one has it for probally the first 15-20 casts and as you use it, it breaks out. Suffix to me is one of the better line companies out there and we use their braid too.
Old 06-16-09, 12:29 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1234 View Post
I was wondering what pound line for a spinning reel, used for general fishing purposes, which includes jigging, would be best and why. I am looking to go on the heavier side but I am unsure of the best line test.
What size reel is it? I'd have to recommend different line for a 1500 than I would for a 3000 size reel.

BB
Old 06-24-09, 08:50 PM   #8
bassboy11
BassFishin.Com Member

defiantly 8 or 10 pound test

unlese you live in a BIG bass place

otherwise just use 8 or 10
bassboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.