Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-10, 08:14 PM   #26
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Thats a method that has always very much intrigued me and I am going to spend the time learning it when I get nearer to more conducive waters.

I think as opposed to a technique, I want to improve on the process I use to go fishing. Whether it is improving my patience, or slightly altering my understanding of how fish relate to cover and how I position my boat in relation to them, my understanding of the thermocline and it's effects, baitfish and how they inform bass patterns -

I guess what I am saying is that I always have fished by gut instinct, but I want to develop an intellectual understanding of what works.
Those are "fundamentals" that every dedicated bass fishing person needs to understand to be successful over the long period. Worthwhile goal WTL, and one that requires and ongoing and everchanging education.
Old 01-29-10, 10:45 AM   #27
Justin2729
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would have to say the Drop shot i love the idea of the technique but never gave it a legit shot in the boat and swimming a jig both of those I am gonna force myself to make work this year. A lot of guys don't use either technique so a real motivator to get good with both
Justin2729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 11:08 AM   #28
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm very surprised to see all the jig comments. I cut my teeth fishing a jig, so that's the bait I'm most comfortable with. Once you guys learn jig fishing, it'll be tough to not want to keep it on ALL the time! It's my favorite.

I have the most trouble with a deep bite (20-40'). I've caught a few fish this deep, but just have never had what I call great success. I need to learn drop shots, and spoon fishing, and I'm looking forward to it!
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 11:21 AM   #29
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post

I'm also still waiting on my first jerkbait fish

Click image for larger version

Name:	bigfish08.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	4638

my first jerkbait fish came in feb of 08, on a x-rap. As you can see I now enjoy fishing jerkbaits alot.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 02:58 PM   #30
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Man...nice fish, Doc. Totally jealous here.
Old 01-29-10, 03:42 PM   #31
bassnman30

I'm going to deep crank. I know of lake were deep crankbait are in demand. (Highrock)
Old 02-02-10, 08:02 AM   #32
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'm fairly new to jig fishing although I've used them off and on over the last twenty years, untill the last couple of years I've limited myself to fishing them in deep brushpiles. The one technique I really want to learn/utilize is swiming a jig in shallow grass. That will be a priority for me this year as long as conditions and situations permit. The other thing it seems I'm missunderstanding is Deep cranking. I've thrown cranks all my life but just never have had much succes with deep cranking. Picked up a tip on what I haven't been doing with them though on a Jason Quins segment of deep cranking in the 2009 bass pros video. So I'm eager to get back out there this summer and give that a shot too.
Old 02-06-10, 04:28 PM   #33
MN Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

I want to work on my topwater and spinnerbait skills. I've only caught one fish on a spinnerbait. Nothing ever on a buzzbait. Have caught a few on the Stanley Ribbit type frogs, but never hooked up on a hollowbody like a spro or scumfrog. So I think it's a patience thing with the topwater, and setting the hook too soon.
MN Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-10, 12:45 AM   #34
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Swimbaits. I have the gear, just not the confidence-yet.

For you guys trying to master the jig, keep throwing one. You WILL get bit. I threw one literally for years and couldn't buy a bite. And then one day I felt that wonderful thump and pulled in a four pounder. Caught a smalller one later that day and now I always have one tied on.

I do always use a crawfish scent when fishing a jig. Does it help? I have more confidence using a scent, and confidence is the name of the game.
Old 02-09-10, 01:54 AM   #35
MeanMouth
BassFishin.Com Member

I am most confident with soft plastics, but need to be more experimental with Crankbaits and Spinnerbaits.

I see video after video, book after book, and statement after statement about these lures, but I just haven't found the correct approach to be consistent.

I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so I don't know if I should approach my lakes differently. I do know that my waters are much colder. Slowing down my retrieves and being more patient is what I need to practice more.
MeanMouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.