Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-13-11, 11:51 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default A thought about the Alabama rig and presentations in general.

After watching some youtube videos about the Alabama rig, I have to admit, although I don't see myself using it, it looks like a rig that would draw some action, especially for bass feeding on schools of shad. But while watching the video, it struck me how much hardware there is with this rig. All the wires, the swivels, the large weight to keep it down, and I started thinking, if they will go after this bundle of hardware, why should anyone worry about whether a bass will see braided line fishing a drop shot, or finesse fishing? Why should we try so hard to conceal our hook within a soft plastic bait? Why be concerned about using flourocarbon because the bass "might see" our line otherwise. I think if they will attack an Alabama rig, they will hit a 5 inch suspending jerkbait fished with braided line. My point is, maybe we worry too much about a basses sensitivities. Maybe they won't "freak out" at the site of a little bit of line in clear water. After all, if they will strike a lure being dragged by what looks like a bicylce rim and spokes minus the tire.............
Old 12-14-11, 12:06 AM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Your correct in many aspects,the difference being the actual target,one bass or many bass together.Like humans we behave differently when alone versus a crowd.Being even more base in nature,fish in general when faced with competition tend to try to be firstus or mostus,or steal thy neighbors meal.
One shark wouldnt bite thick steel often a pack however would feed off an anchor chain.
Plus a spinnerbait has thick wire its just sort of a reaction ,maybe doesnt want it to reproduce.
A suspended bass or one just after spawn might be picky,just as a well fed human.
So each method has its place and times applicable.
It is a usefull tool however one must be aware of how many baits and or teasers permitted where its being used,many states do not permit 5 with hooks,or in the case of tn including any teasers 3 permitted.
If permitted the use of say a spinnerbait blade in place of a lure provides lift and its easier to retrieve.
No doubt many laws will be rewritten or changed due to its heavy usage,but until they are beware.
Think Ind has a 3 law as well as ohio and tn.I own and use a 3 arm actually made in Ind.,cost is about ten bucks on ebay.

Last edited by lilmule; 12-14-11 at 12:13 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 12:08 AM   #3
bassboogieman

Minor difference as I see it - the Alabama rig is a designed to present multiple reaction type baits like hollow-bodied swim baits, flukes or other plastics moving quickly through the water. In a reaction response the fish attacks the lure without really scrutinizing it very much. Unlike the presentation of a finesse bait - like a drop shot - using a small plastic bait, a fish may check it out closer before eating it. In the latter case braid may attract attention in addition to the bait. That said, I'm not of the opinion that braid is a negative, in anything other than gin clear water, for most applications. That is, of course, if you are a braid fan - which I am generally not, except in certain specific presentations.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 12:16 AM   #4
joedog

Good point, kiethdog. I guess it all comes back to confidence. Another feeling is that the fish caught on the alabama are 100% reaction bites, competive feeding bites, schooling bass feeding on schooling bait fish bites. The stealth aspects are more finese fishing. No one cares about line as far as visibility goes, frogging or buzz baiting. Again, reaction strikes are what your looking for. What lure is like 90% hardware? A buzz bait. That dosn't mean that there isn't to much stealth mentality used when not needed, again the confidence thing.
Old 12-14-11, 12:50 AM   #5
kennethdaysale

Keith I've seen lots of those online vids and wondered the same thing. One of the printed pieces I read re: the subject quoted a pro as saying that when presented with a "school" of vulnerable baitfish, the bass are so focused on the "pack" that they pay no attention to all that hardware running out in front. In fact a local tackle maker is selling some with white pea sized beads placed in the center of each wire to complete the illusu-ion of fish chasing fish. I own everything from broomstick saltwater rigs to extremely ultra light, but for the last 20 years I have convinced myself that fishing clear water with thin line and light wire hooks and using small to medium baits with the proper tackle, in the right place at the right time catches me as many fish as I could imagine possible. However having said that there is a lake I've mentioned in other threads that is extremely clear and very very deep with practically no cover except the 100 or so Christmas trees I planted, where the bass behave in ways that are completely different from anything I've ever seen. They patrol the lake in wolf-packs looking for pods of 3-4-5" brim (the ONLY real forage in the lake except for scads of FHM). I am definately going to give the A-rig an honest chance to catch some of those open water cruisers next year. Why not..I am the only one on the lease and I'm C&R only and I think I might learn some things I could apply to conventional tactics.
Old 12-14-11, 07:56 AM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd have to agree with the pack feeding mentality. I think once a feeding frenzy starts, bass simply are so narrow minded that they concentrate solely on the prey they are after and ignore anything else around them. That of course is a whole different animal that a lone single bass inspecting a drop shot. The Zen of bass fishing that Rick Clunn is known for, lol.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.