Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 04-22-07, 10:46 AM   #1
Breene
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Breene
Default Quantum array

I was wondering if anyone has used this reel and can tell me what they think of it. I just bought a 7' lightning rod and have been using a friends old reel on it but want a better one. I cant find many reviews (except tackle tour but it isn't very detailed) and was hoping someone here could tell me what they thought of it. Thanks!
Breene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 11:20 AM   #2
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Breenester,

The only downside is the graphite frame. While it's light, and that's a definite plus, it's also vunerable to breakage.
If possible, save up a little more and skip a step in upgrading.
The top three models in the Quantum spinning reel lineup feature a magnetic bail system. This eliminates one of the biggest hassles endemic to spinning reels...broken or weakened bail springs. I use several of these magnetic system Quantums and they are great!
The magnetic system is found in the three reels with "PTi" designations...well worth it!

FR

Last edited by FlyRod; 04-22-07 at 11:28 AM.
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 09:16 PM   #3
Breene
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
Breenester,

The only downside is the graphite frame. While it's light, and that's a definite plus, it's also vunerable to breakage.
If possible, save up a little more and skip a step in upgrading.
The top three models in the Quantum spinning reel lineup feature a magnetic bail system. This eliminates one of the biggest hassles endemic to spinning reels...broken or weakened bail springs. I use several of these magnetic system Quantums and they are great!
The magnetic system is found in the three reels with "PTi" designations...well worth it!

FR
Thanks for the reply. I was looking at the PTi series and would love to have one but I just don't think I can afford one right now. I fish as much as I can (once or twice a week if its nice out) but am still new and don't want to over-do it on my purchases. I'm almost 16 so ill be getting a job soon and maby I can upgrade then but spending around 100 dollars for a reel is out of my budget right now.

As far as the graphite goes I am very careful with my equipment and don't think breaking the reel by using it will be too much of a problem. I would preffer aluminum but I'm hoping graphite will be OK. I was trying to decide between this reel or the Mitchell avocet gold. I think this would be a better choice.

Does anyone here own one of these reels? I would like to hear what you think if you do.
Old 04-23-07, 03:12 AM   #4
FlyRod

Breene,

What size Array are you planning to buy? What length and power rod are you planning to use? Please answer BEFORE you buy.

Thanks,

Flyrod
Old 04-23-07, 05:53 PM   #5
Breene
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Breene,

What size Array are you planning to buy? What length and power rod are you planning to use? Please answer BEFORE you buy.

Thanks,

Flyrod
I am torn between buying the AR 20 F (140yds/6lb) or the AR 30 F (160yds/8lbs). I want to keep the setup as light as possible. It will be paired with a 7' medium berkley lightning rod. Thats what it says on the rod (I wasn't very knowledgeable when I bought the pole but I think it will be ok). Its been working great so far. I like its length and weight and sensitivity and all that. Will this be a good combo?

Last edited by Breene; 04-23-07 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-23-07, 10:17 PM   #6
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breene View Post
I am torn between buying the AR 20 F (140yds/6lb) or the AR 30 F (160yds/8lbs). I want to keep the setup as light as possible. It will be paired with a 7' medium berkley lightning rod. Thats what it says on the rod (I wasn't very knowledgeable when I bought the pole but I think it will be ok). Its been working great so far. I like its length and weight and sensitivity and all that. Will this be a good combo?
Breene,

Either a "20" or "30" series will be fine so long as you don't go over #10 mono or #20 braid with the "20" or #12 mono/#30 braid with the "30". Avoid "Stiff" mono. Will discuss brand and type later.
What is the price of the Array? Need to know ASAP.
Hang on to your money, sonny! Help may be on the way.

Thanks,

FlyRod

PS: These line weight recommendations are based on EXPERIENCE, not opinion.
Old 04-24-07, 08:26 PM   #7
Breene
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Breene,

Either a "20" or "30" series will be fine so long as you don't go over #10 mono or #20 braid with the "20" or #12 mono/#30 braid with the "30". Avoid "Stiff" mono. Will discuss brand and type later.
What is the price of the Array? Need to know ASAP.
Hang on to your money, sonny! Help may be on the way.

Thanks,

FlyRod

PS: These line weight recommendations are based on EXPERIENCE, not opinion.
I think I will go with the 30 then so I can use larger line. But mostly I want to be fishing with 6-8 lb test most of the time in ponds and lakes around where I live to try to keep it as invisible as I can to the fish. I was looking at P-line CXX X-tra strong mono... http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...10000_100-10-1
Theres a link to what I was looking at.

As far as the price of the actual reel, All four models are 39.99 on Cabela's website which is where I will probably order it. Here is a link to the product's page: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...rray&noImage=0

Thanks for helping me through all this. I really appreciate it.
Old 04-25-07, 02:07 AM   #8
FlyRod

Quote:
I think I will go with the 30 then so I can use larger line.
Thanks for helping me through all this. I really appreciate it.
Breene,

You're welcome, but if you want a much better reel, and will settle for a 20-size to start, I'll let you have a new-in-box Quantum PTi 2000, with an extra spool, for the same price as the Array, + a few bux shipping. This reel is the earlier series, all metal, magnetic bail and has never been used.
That way, you can see how much you'll benefit from saving for a 3000 PTi and you'll be well on the way to having TWO good rigs.
Let me know and I'll get it on the way in a day or two and trust you to make good on your part.
Believe me, you'll be wayyyyy better off.

FlyRod
Old 04-25-07, 07:23 PM   #9
Breene
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Breene,

You're welcome, but if you want a much better reel, and will settle for a 20-size to start, I'll let you have a new-in-box Quantum PTi 2000, with an extra spool, for the same price as the Array, + a few bux shipping. This reel is the earlier series, all metal, magnetic bail and has never been used.
That way, you can see how much you'll benefit from saving for a 3000 PTi and you'll be well on the way to having TWO good rigs.
Let me know and I'll get it on the way in a day or two and trust you to make good on your part.
Believe me, you'll be wayyyyy better off.

FlyRod
I am a little confused when you say PTi 2000 and 3000. I have never heard of these reels before. They are models right? Or is it like a size of one of the PTi's currently out? Do you have any pictures or additional information about the reel you want to sell? Also I don't think I will be able to purchase it unless you can list it on e-bay with a "buy it now" price so I can grab it right when it goes up. My parents don't like buying on the internet especially off people. Nothing personal but if you could list it that would make things so much easier.

You can E-mail me at breene@gmail.com or AIM me at huzy32009 so we can communicate easier.
Old 04-25-07, 09:28 PM   #10
FlyRod

Quote:
I am a little confused when you say PTi 2000 and 3000. I have never heard of these reels before. They are models right? Or is it like a size of one of the PTi's currently out? Do you have any pictures or additional information about the reel you want to sell? Also I don't think I will be able to purchase it unless you can list it on e-bay with a "buy it now" price so I can grab it right when it goes up. My parents don't like buying on the internet especially off people. Nothing personal but if you could list it that would make things so much easier.

You can E-mail me at breene@gmail.com or AIM me at huzy32009 so we can communicate easier.
Breene,

I'll do this in open forum, but will Email my phone #. Why, well, I think this will cause much merriment 'mongst the membership. The old "no good deed goes unpunished" thing, y'know?

The 2000 size = the 20, the 3000 = the 30 and so on. The line capacity on this reel is #6/150 yds, and so on, comparable to the Array, I'd imagine, and I use #10 or #8 mono on them with no problem whatsoever and they thrive on #20 braid. This reel sold new for 80 bux six years ago, and is NEW and UNUSED...ever. The actual nomenclature is: Quantum Response Ti, Re2LTi. (2=20=2000, etc,)These were the model previous to the PTi. (Sorry, I hadn't looked at the box in a while.)
The Magnetic bail is made of Titanium (so it won't warp out of shape) and there are 3 Ball Bearings and 1 Roller Bearing. The retrieve ratio is 6:1. I will add an extra METAL spool to the box. The original price tag is STILL on the reel. The instructions and parts list are included.
Now, all that being said, I'm not gonna go through the hassle of E-bay and pay them for the privilege of helping a new basser. I earlier stated that I'd send the reel BEFORE payment and trust YOU to do the rest. That still stands and I'm certain the parental units will see the good in that.
Once you get your hot little paws on the reel and compare it to the Array...game over! We have a winner!
So far as my ethics and reputation are concerned, please ask Rebbasser for a reference. He'll tell you AND Mom and/or Dad who and what I am.
Besides, when Congress appointed me an officer in the United States Army (Armor), they said "Oh, by the way, you must be a gentleman as well." I read the fine print and they were right.
So, if you want a far better reel for what the junker would cost, fine. If not, no skin off my hide and I'll still be here to answer questions and help in any way I can.

Kindly Uncle Fly
Still soggy in San Antonio

I'm keeping the other 3 of the same models for myself!

Last edited by FlyRod; 04-25-07 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-25-07, 09:52 PM   #11
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Breene, fear not. Flyrod and his offer are on the level. Nothing for you or your parents to be concerned with. He is the kind you can trust and a man of his word, which is all too rare in this day and age.

I fish with him on pretty much a weekly basis, and would trust him with any of my gear, including my boat.
Old 04-25-07, 10:06 PM   #12
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Breene, fear not. Flyrod and his offer are on the level. Nothing for you or your parents to be concerned with. He is the kind you can trust and a man of his word, which is all too rare in this day and age.

I fish with him on pretty much a weekly basis, and would trust him with any of my gear, including my boat.

Awww, shucks.

FR

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.