Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
Smithwick Devil's Horse 6 37.50%
Heddon Torpedo 10 62.50%
Voters: 16. This poll is closed

Old 07-05-08, 09:12 AM   #26
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Hmmmmmmm Lancer you pointed out several very good points Would love to get in the boat with ya.

JB
Mid day when you head is blistered I usually run the spectrum.....fast and noisy and slow and methodic but MOST of the time subtle is what works better than most retrieves at this time of day. Sometin bowt dat critter quivering around and makin its lass attemps at livin dat makes ol bucketmouth jump all over dat ting.

Carolina
One of the very few folks I have heard mention the ole chopper. I did know where some where. I cant guranttee you they are still there. I will check and let ya know.
Old 07-05-08, 01:54 PM   #27
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

[quote=1FASTLASER;195994]Hmmmmmmm Lancer you pointed out several very good points Would love to get in the boat with ya.

Thank yew. I'm certain we'd have phun, especially if we brought Aldonza along for some night fishin'.
What ya do is ya give her a few Tequila Sunrises, turn the Nucli-Eye on and point it at her, kinda like a stage light, and she does this most, uhhhh, entertaining dance on the front deck. She claims it's an old Indian dance that depicts the movements of a female bass tryin' to seduce a male bass.
Well, I don't know 'bout the bass, but it sure puts me in a spawnin' mood! Maybe 'cause the UV makes certain untanned parts glow.

Lancer6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 01:57 PM   #28
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

got a question for ya'll bout props. i heard (maybe here,forgit) that if one was to take the prop on the tail end and reverse it, it would make the bait sorta stay stationary (so to speak). has anyone tried this? if so, any luck with this method? thanks.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 03:28 PM   #29
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

I have been having goodluck fishing with the double prop devil's horse when the water is in the Mid 80's and smooth. I typically fish it parallel to the bank and honestly have had the best luck within 6" to 1' off of the bank.
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 07:26 AM   #30
1FASTLASER

By the way this poll on this thread is infair and unjust. One should never leave home without there pedo or there horse.

This Aldonza thing almost sounds intriguing.LOL
Old 07-06-08, 11:57 AM   #31
frogfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I decided to get a Smithwick Devil's Horse yesterday in Tennessee Shad color and tried it out a little this morning but the day was not good for fishing anyways, and i expect i will be catching fish on it in the future. thanks all for your help.
frogfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 01:46 PM   #32
Raul

To answer your poll: Which one ?

BOTH !!!!
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 02:32 PM   #33
JB

the horse must be a southern thing, everyone up here throws the popR, I've never seen anyone throw the horse(anymore that is).
Yet, if you ask around everyone owns one or has in the past?
#2 prop bait up here is tiny torpedo in chrome n black, or frog...
This makes me even more determined to keep that devils horse tied on, eventually I'll learn more about it, and if no one else uses it on brookville, more power to me when I'm getting hits on something they havent seen much of...

JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 02:40 PM   #34
1FASTLASER

Ok JB and all that wanna listen here it goes:

First off you need the BIG horse not the devils stick Ya'll know which one I mean. Second after taking it out get rid of the factory hooks and put the Mustad triple grip hooks on it with the rear hook going UP in 1 size. When reinstalling the screws use some good glue to hold them tight in place. The colors to have are Tennesse shad,Black back yellow belly and the one I call bream color. The bream color is REAL hard to come by. Ifn ya find one gurad it with your life. I had 3 when my tackle got ripped. Now the trick is to take and when backing the nose screw out you keep it just loose enough that the props (both ends) turn freely. Now tuning this bait takes calm water and no wind if your hearing is like mine. 14lb test is as big as you wanna use. When tuning you are listening for a Swish swish when you work the bait. AND THE MOST IMPORTANT is that it is a steady swish. SUBTLE IS THE KEY. After the cast let ALL the rings disappear, then a subtle twitch.just hard enough to turn the props,let the rings disappear again. Then GET AFTER IT for 3 hard swishes. If he or she is there the horse has done its job now its your time. Sometimes when after the intial little dance those fish like the horse worked at a pretty good clip and others a slow methodical pace. Trust me they will. Have patience and LEARN THE horse. Same goes for the pedo..........it is just more at home when the water is calmer.
Old 07-06-08, 02:44 PM   #35
frogfisher

man i wish i knew that a day sooner 1fastlaser.... I went out today to try out my new devil's horse and it was calmer than anything.... the water was so still. I noticed my props getting stuck every once in a while. I wasn't sure if there was something wrong with the lure or the way i was fishing it because i had never fished one before... thanks for the info though
Old 07-06-08, 02:48 PM   #36
JB

Hey thanks laser, figures i was working with a lildickstick, i need the big un'~
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 03:30 PM   #37
bamabassman

WHAT ABOUT WHAT I WROTE ABOUT REVERSING THE REAR PROP? anyone ever done this? and if so how did it do?
Old 07-06-08, 03:33 PM   #38
1FASTLASER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
WHAT ABOUT WHAT I WROTE ABOUT REVERSING THE REAR PROP? anyone ever done this? and if so how did it do?

SHHHHHHHHHH bama dont tell em everything man. LOL the gotta figure a few things out fer themselves.

Yes it works like a charm. Slows the forward movement of the lure and still produces a pretty nice ruckus on the surface especially when they dont want a fast moving bait or one that needs to stay around a bit longer to intice the bite.
Old 07-06-08, 03:42 PM   #39
bamabassman

hahaha laser. thanks pal. yes i am gonna do it to mine now for sure.
Old 07-06-08, 03:55 PM   #40
senko

I have a question... Are the Horses on Tackle Warehouse the skinny ones or the fat ones?
Old 07-06-08, 05:15 PM   #41
WTL

http://www.stjohnsriverfishing.com/f...sHorse-l_1.jpg

Here are the two types.
Old 07-06-08, 05:25 PM   #42
senko

Thanks for clarifying WTL
Old 07-06-08, 11:46 PM   #43
Rebbasser

July 4th, 1998. Big stock tank west of Ft. Worth. I lost count at 27 LM on 27 consecutive casts, all on a chrome/black back Torpedo and all between 1-2 lbs. To quote my buddy Zooker, 'nuff said.
Old 07-07-08, 01:11 PM   #44
frogfisher

I will be going back to bass pro to get more devil horse's but in different colors. I already have the Tennesse shad color and am planning on getting the yellow/black stripes and the chrome/black back what do you guys think? maybe i should get a heddon torpedo instead? any suggestions are appreciated
Old 07-07-08, 01:48 PM   #45
frogfisher

I read that when using a propbait you should use a loop knot to allow it to move freely as opposed to the clinch knot... But when I move the eye out to allow the blade to spin freely, the loop knot can just slide right off. How can I fix this? Should I just use a clinch knot? I'm using a devil's horse by the way
Old 07-07-08, 02:03 PM   #46
MississippiBoy

Try this one, frog. Might be better.

http://www.animatedknots.com/rapala/...matedknots.com
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 02:05 PM   #47
frogfisher

what im sayin is the loop can slide right off the eye when i loosed it to allow the prop to spin freely
Old 07-07-08, 02:31 PM   #48
MississippiBoy

Sorry, frog, I'm not following you. The loop is sliding off the eye, and the bait comes off the line somehow? Is the knot coming undone?
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-08, 02:35 PM   #49
frogfisher

The lure hasnt come off but when I'm at my house I loosened the eye a little and I saw that the loop can come off easily if it is pulled in a certain direction....Maybe it won't come off but I'm just trying to make sure I don't lose the fish of a lifetime if it comes because of a knot.... Just making sure that none of you guys have had that happen.
Old 07-07-08, 02:50 PM   #50
Fishnngolfn

It does work somewhat like a slip knot. The loop can get bigger if you pull on the right part of the line. But when the fish pulls and so do you, the knot will not come undone if it is tied properly. It will actually make the loop smaller and everything will get really tight.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.