Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-09, 10:18 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Short Spinnerbait Rod

Well, after my little "Jack fell down and broke his crown" incident, I was short one casting rod for spinnerbaits. I went and looked at some G Loomis, and a Shimano Cumara I was really impressed with. However, I was actually having a little trouble pulling the trigger, it being almost November and everything.

Today I was in my garage and I was just looking at the 5'6" Cabelas XML rod I still have. I originally bought it for jerkbaiting, but it didn't really feel right. So I just set it aside and sort of forgot about it. Well, for a laugh, I seated my orphaned Revo in it, tied the 17lb test to a beat-up spinnerbait, and went out in the yard just to see how it would throw.

I was really surprised how far that short of a rod cast that spinnerbait. It's a medium power, fast action, so it has some reasonable backbone, and since it's so short, I was able to cast it with pretty much pin-point accuracy. It's obviously not going to be a great rod for horsing fish out of cover, even with 17lb test, but it's balanced perfectly and feels great. It feels pretty good to not be forking over a bunch of dough too. I can't wait to try it out in the Spring.

Do any of you guys favor a shorter rod than conventional wisdom says you ought to use?
Old 10-25-09, 12:36 AM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Not sure about conventional wisdom, but I like to use a six foot Cherrywood rod for spinnerbaits when my boat is close to shore. All my other rods are 7ft or longer. I'm actually using my second one. I snapped the first one a few years back. I like the shorter length for precise casts. I use braid on it because the lake I mainly fish has stained water.
Old 10-25-09, 08:54 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I prefer a longer rod for pretty much everything but spinnerbaits. I use a 6'6" rod that pulls like triple duty right now as a spinnerbait, buzzbait, soft plastic, and sometimes jig rod. Eventually I'd like to get a spinnerbait rod and have looked at a 6'4" MH falcon rod.

I've never use a rod under 6', but I think it should work good, especially with smaller spinnerbait in tight areas like around docks, laydowns, etc.

BB
Old 10-25-09, 09:11 AM   #4
bcklash

Nofear, the shorter rods are excellent for pinpoint accurate cast, weather it be spinnerbait, crankbait or whatever. I'd give the 5'6' rod a try, you might like it.
Old 10-25-09, 09:34 AM   #5
keithdog

I think if you ever do any fishing from shore you'll find a shorter rod to be very helpful for casting around overhead tree branches and in between brush that would otherwise make casting a longer rod difficult without hitting branches as you try to cast. I think you'll especially like that rod for casting smaller lures!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-09, 12:45 PM   #6
JB

I've moved on to 6-6 or 7 ft rods bryce, but for years I fished that 5-8
Shimano med rod for jerkbaits and the popR as well as spinnerbaits. I had that rod stolen at big bear with other rods, and replaced it with a 6-6 all star.
But I would still favor the 5-8 range for the popR and jerk baits, its perfect to go straight down on the cadence and not hit the boat side. It will shoot out spinnerbaits and cranks to, however now I prefer the longer rods for that.
I can't tell you how many fish came off that short shimano pole, I had it for years and had a Diawa low profile reel on it.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-09, 12:55 PM   #7
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I fished for years with 5'-6" rods with pistolgrips. I was accurate but not long on my casts. I caught a lot of fish. Now i think I only own a few 5'-6" rods and part of them are ultralights.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-09, 01:28 PM   #8
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
I've moved on to 6-6 or 7 ft rods bryce, but for years I fished that 5-8
Shimano med rod for jerkbaits and the popR as well as spinnerbaits. I had that rod stolen at big bear with other rods, and replaced it with a 6-6 all star.
But I would still favor the 5-8 range for the popR and jerk baits, its perfect to go straight down on the cadence and not hit the boat side. It will shoot out spinnerbaits and cranks to, however now I prefer the longer rods for that.
I can't tell you how many fish came off that short shimano pole, I had it for years and had a Diawa low profile reel on it.
Wow...I didn't know you had stuff stolen at Big Bear. That sucks big time.

It's funny about the 5'6" rod. I got it because I didn't like the 6'6" rod I was using at the time, but now the 6'6" rod feels perfect. I think jerkbaiting was just so new to me then that nothing was going to feel right.
Old 10-25-09, 05:36 PM   #9
JB

Yup in 1995 I took my club and 21 guys to that log cabin by the condos, and one night someone came in by boat and stole everything from every boat. We had gone six years in a row before that and no problems, hadn't had any since.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-09, 08:03 PM   #10
3dkicker

I use a 6' G. Loomis rod for my spinnerbaits. Had a 6' Gator that I loved but it got busted. I've been playing with a couple 5' or 5'6" pistol grip rods over the years but I keep on busting the tips. They're great for pin point accuracy under docks or fishing wood.

You should be getting those samples I sent you any day now.
Old 10-26-09, 05:41 PM   #11
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a medium power 5' 6" pistol grip rod for tossing spinnerbaits and Baby 1 Minus cranks around docks. I don't really like it and wish it were a 6 footer with a short grip instead of a pistol grip. If you're not paying attention and set the hook a little hard you can buckle your wrist which hurts and just about makes me drop the rod sometimes.

Otherwise I use a 7' MH St Croix Avid for my spinnerbaiting and I'm very happy with it for that purpose. It has a nice, soft tip-section which allow the fish to inhale the bait. You have so much better control over the fish with a longer rod, and they're better at taking up any slack on a hookset, not to mention the longer casts.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-09, 11:43 AM   #12
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
I use a 6' G. Loomis rod for my spinnerbaits. Had a 6' Gator that I loved but it got busted. I've been playing with a couple 5' or 5'6" pistol grip rods over the years but I keep on busting the tips. They're great for pin point accuracy under docks or fishing wood.

You should be getting those samples I sent you any day now.
By the way, Smitty. Those tubes you sent me. While I'm obviously a newbie at tubing, I was amazed at how big and heavy they are, even without the jighead in them. Do you put extra material in yours? I imagine I will be able to cast them a long way even with a baitcaster, though I was planning on a spinning rod (well, maybe not the flippin tubes). That will probably be very important in ultra-clear Dale hollow.
Old 11-01-09, 11:14 AM   #13
dave

I have a 6'2" Castaway SB3.
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-09, 06:54 PM   #14
3dkicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
While I'm obviously a newbie at tubing, I was amazed at how big and heavy they are, even without the jighead in them. Do you put extra material in yours?
The Fathead and Goliath are made extra thick so they are heavier than a standard tube. You should see the 6" Goliath tube!!!
Old 12-12-09, 06:26 AM   #15
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
I have a 6'2" Castaway SB3.
That is what I use as well.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 06:46 AM   #16
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I just picked up a 6'9" kistler LTA medium, medium fast that is amazing for topwater, spinnerbaits, senkos and jerkbaits. I am a long armed guy though.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 09:29 PM   #17
Backwater Charlie

I prefer a 6' medium/heavy action rod for spinnerbaits. I don't know why but that's how I like my spinnerbait rods.
Old 11-29-11, 01:01 AM   #18
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

I had that 5'6" xml rod until it broke. I loved it! I actually liked it a lot for lightweight worming. They don't make it any more. Closest size is 6'2" now
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 04:08 AM   #19
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have been toying with doing a build that is 5'6" or 6' with a pistol grip for rolling baits. Tough for me to roll cast with a 9"-10" handle and a 7'+ rod from my frame.
Old 11-29-11, 05:59 AM   #20
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
I have been toying with doing a build that is 5'6" or 6' with a pistol grip for rolling baits. Tough for me to roll cast with a 9"-10" handle and a 7'+ rod from my frame.
I have a 5'6" All Star pistol grip I thought was going to be my spinnerbait rod but I seldom take it over the 6'2" Castaway SB3 spinnerbait rod.The short wider pistol grip handle torques and twists a lot when you hook a good fish on it.The slimmer 8.5" Castaway handle provides better control but is short enough to be handy when presenting baits in tight spots.I hope this helps.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-11, 12:12 PM   #21
Bassboss

Man this is an old thread, but still a good one! I've really enjoyed reading it.

Wucha using for spinnerbaits now Bryce?
Old 11-29-11, 02:51 PM   #22
DVT Mike

A 6' Med or MH /F with a short rear grip makes an awesome rod for spinnerbaits in cover. I build them with a short grip as opposed to the pistol so you still have a little to brace against your forearm. If I want to just throw bombs and cover water I'll use a 7' MH/F plastics setup.
Old 11-29-11, 08:22 PM   #23
SaminVa

I have 2 pistol grip 5'6" rods... one is a bass pro crankin' stick & the other is a Bass PRo Extreme rod. I fished light weight cranks on the crankin' stick & spinnerbaits on the extreme rod. I still have them & use them....I had a favorite 6' berkley rod that broke several years ago that I really like for spinnerbaits.
Old 12-01-11, 08:46 PM   #24
arfish
BassFishin.Com Member

I use to use the short pistol grip Lightning Rods when I was just getting started bass fishing when I was in my teens. They are still in my garage, but don't get any use anymore. I like to use a shorter rod for working a Sammy out of my canoe when I river fish for smallies. I've been thinking about getting a pistol grip All Star or Lew's rod in the 6-0 length. I agree with DVTin that I'd rather have a short grip than a pistol grip if possible, and to deal with the torque issue, I wonder if anybody has ever tried a spiral wrap on a short grip rod? I don't know anything about rod building, but the idea seems interesting.
arfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-11, 08:50 PM   #25
Jrob78

One of my local Dick's stores has a 6' pistol grip Team All Star in stock. I swung it around and played with it a little the other day, it felt pretty good. It's been 20 years since I've casted a pistol grip, not sure it's something I want to do now but it was interesting to hold.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.