Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-10, 05:07 PM   #26
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Man, buzzbaits ! can´t catch a cold on them.

But I´m persistent, been persistent for 20 years and I´m still trying, one day ....
wow...i brought who knows how many nice fish in on a buzz this year, and 7 over 5lb.
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 05:24 PM   #27
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Buzzbaits and spinnerbaits are decent for me, but I can't seem to catch anything on popper and spooks.

I just ended my no bass on a jig streak last summer with my first every jig fish, so now I gotta work on making it my go to.

BB
Old 02-15-10, 11:43 PM   #28
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUFred View Post
By burning do you mean buzzing a spinnerbait?
Yep. I try to keep it bulging the surface with an occasional blade breaking the surface.
Old 02-16-10, 07:15 PM   #29
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have never had any luck with deep diving cranks or spooks.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 07:22 PM   #30
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I know this will be blasphemy to some, but lipless cranks are fishless cranks for me. No matter how, when, or where they just don't catch fish for me.
I'm right there with ya cass! I've made a zillion casts with lipless cranks of all brands, sizes and colors, and only caught on fish on a floating model. But I'm determined to succeed as so many others love'm! I bought a 3/4 oz. StrikeKing lipless crank recently. I plan on having it tied to a rod this spring!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 08:13 PM   #31
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Cass and Keith, I never caught them on lipless either. Until I bought the sexy shad. The best hits I got were when I let them snag the grass then rip off. I even had one straighten out the hook.
Old 02-17-10, 02:05 AM   #32
RichZ
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I can see where dropshotting could get boring,
It always amazes me when I hear (or read)) someone say that. To me, the surest way to not be bored it to get bit and set the hook. Very few presentations consistently provide the opportunity to do that over as wide an array of conditions, as the drop shot.
RichZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-10, 04:39 AM   #33
LuvThyMeta|
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to LuvThyMeta| Send a message via MSN to LuvThyMeta| Send a message via Yahoo to LuvThyMeta|

What techniques are used to fish spoons ?
LuvThyMeta| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-10, 07:40 AM   #34
muddy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichZ View Post
It always amazes me when I hear (or read)) someone say that. To me, the surest way to not be bored it to get bit and set the hook. Very few presentations consistently provide the opportunity to do that over as wide an array of conditions, as the drop shot.
Jigging, t riggs, c rigs and bumping big fat cranks off anything submerged and topwater are all so much more action filled. As for drop shot: I tried it twice, both times when a good bite was on, caught fish, I was bored and not impressed. I must also add here I dont like going after suspended fish, sinceIi do not fish for competition, if I do not catch 5 fish in a day, it's not ruidned for me.
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-10, 10:33 AM   #35
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I'm right there with ya cass! I've made a zillion casts with lipless cranks of all brands, sizes and colors, and only caught on fish on a floating model. But I'm determined to succeed as so many others love'm! I bought a 3/4 oz. StrikeKing lipless crank recently. I plan on having it tied to a rod this spring!
Dang keith, you and me are in the same boat here. Except I haven't thrown them that much. But like you, the only lipless I've ever caught fish on is a floating rat-l-trap. I may try to work them in this spring and summer, but I can't guarantee anything, lol.

BB
Old 02-17-10, 11:59 AM   #36
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
Jigging, t riggs, c rigs and bumping big fat cranks off anything submerged and topwater are all so much more action filled. As for drop shot: I tried it twice, both times when a good bite was on, caught fish, I was bored and not impressed. I must also add here I dont like going after suspended fish, sinceIi do not fish for competition, if I do not catch 5 fish in a day, it's not ruidned for me.
That's just one of the things that is great about fishing -- there are so many different techniques and set-ups you can use to go after them, and we all have our preferences as well as dislikes for some techniques. So, to each his (or her) own as the saying goes.

I just learned how to dropshot late last year and I love it. It doesn't hurt that I caught my all-time #1 and #3 LM using it, and I also caught good numbers using it as well. I can't wait to give it a full season of use this year.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-10, 12:51 PM   #37
AUFred
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Yep. I try to keep it bulging the surface with an occasional blade breaking the surface.
I caught a lot of good fish using that method before buzzbaits came along. I found I had better luck if I did not allow the blades to break the surface. Snagless Sally works well for that.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 06:21 PM   #38
3dkicker

Traps and jerkbaits are the two that I used to not catch fish on. Now that I've been using a Hardcore Drum I've been spanking the largemouth. Last bait to work on is the jerkbait. I've caught fish on them but very few and far between. I could probably count them on one hand over the past fifteen years. This include crappie which seem to like them better than the bass when I use them.
Old 02-18-10, 10:32 PM   #39
Bender

Spinnerbaits for me, then probably lipless crankbaits. I really haven't given spinnerbaits a ton of time, but I've tried to use them when the conditions dictate that they would work and haven't had any luck. I have caught some fish on lipless, but not like other people. My best presentation has been yo-yo ing them off the bottom. There are others like a C-Rig, but I really haven't given them any time so I can't say how they work for me.

My plan is to hopefully get a chance to fish a bit with somebody who is very confident and proficient at the techniques that I am not. I did that last year with a spook guy and it changed everything for me. I caught a lot of fish on spooks, and BIG ones too! It really helps to understand how to get a lure to work for you when you can see it in action and do it.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 08:44 PM   #40
jigfishinkid
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
I know this will be blasphemy to some, but lipless cranks are fishless cranks for me. No matter how, when, or where they just don't catch fish for me.
thank you me either i hate them
lipless cranks
c-rig
spoons
never work for me
jigfishinkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 10:00 PM   #41
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
Most of my friends are spinnerbait feinds and highly sucessful. I have a bad shoulder, Mallen. I can not take pain meds because i am in recovery for over 17 years, most of the relapses I have seen in those 17 years started with the sentence" Then I filled the prescrition", I have been through bariatric surgry, heart surgery and 2 hernias, and it's no fun without the meds( once you get home, that is), it is difficult to say the least.I aint whinning here just answering your question, its a lot harder using drugs and being homeless than sitting through pain, fisrt hand knowledge here.
So for me to be throwing around a collection of parts from a hardware storee all day, is dangerous and could lead to surgery. Good question, as the spinnerbaits most definitely catch fish and lots of them

ps This will be a concern with the few swimabits i have bought over this winter

Ahhhhhh...now it makes sense!
Old 02-23-10, 10:07 PM   #42
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichZ View Post

Yeah? Well I'd rather get bit and set the hook while I'm cranking a spinnerbait back to the boat. Or getting a lily pad blow up on a frog.
Seems a lot more exciting than sitting there twitchin a rod
Old 02-24-10, 12:46 PM   #43
Bob Smith

MY worst producing technique, ironically, is the jig n craw/jig n pig combo. Mainly because I get bored throwing it. I catch fish on it, but don't enjoy it as much as other techniques.

You guys that haven't caught fish by "burning" a spinnerbait may need to do a couple of things: Try the Strike King Rocket Shad, or up the weight on the spinnerbait to about 3/4 oz but keep the blades to about #3 Willow leaf or double willow leaf. Throw them in relatively clear calm water when the fish seem to be lethargic. It is pure reaction strike and the less time they have to look at it the more likely they are to hit it.

Buzzbaits are one of my favorites with temps 55 degrees through 80 degrees around vegetation. White or Chartreuse or a combination of both in the 1/2 oz to 5/8 oz range and always with a trailer. colder temps I use a twin tail and warmer temps a single tail grub. I seldom burn my buzzbaits around grass or in dirty water.
Old 03-11-10, 10:10 PM   #44
Arkie Bass Buster
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
Jigs....I spent alot of time fishing jigs this past year...Crawling em,pitching em, popping em....rattles,no rattles,all kinds of trailers.....never caught a single fish

BI- I had tremendous luck with chatterbaits this fall...My presentation was to let the lure fall after every 5-10 revolutions on the reel...Then raise my forarm (like popping a worm) to give off a fast/violent vibration...and repeat.
For some reason (i cant explain) raising the entire forarm instead of the wrist seems to give off a better action on the lure....its more fluent and natural I suppose..But almost always they would hit it on the fall.
I know exactly what you mean. I have only caught a couple fish on a jig. Its gotta be my presentation too cause my uncle will wear the fish out on them. Ive tried many presentations just haven't found my "groove" I guess which discourages me from using much. Spinnerbait on the other hand I will use year round and always catch.
Arkie Bass Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 02:16 AM   #45
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

I would say mine is spinnerbaits till the end of this year when i will be confident in them by then. Second would be wakebaits. I try them but not very long because if I don't start seeing results I go right back to cranking which I am very confident in. I'm might try and give wakebaits more of a try this year as well. I moved since last summer and it's all new water for me so I'll be more willing to try different things.
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 09:45 PM   #46
WillTheThrill
BassFishin.Com Member

deep diving cranks and chatterbaits. Although I have plenty of each in my tackle box
WillTheThrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 09:46 AM   #47
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

I cant catch a thing on a spinner period.
Old 03-13-10, 10:01 AM   #48
Tavery5

I have thought about this for a while, and I am going to go with the dropshot rig. I have caught fish on it, but not enough to have confidence in this type of rig. I did do allot of research this winter and have upgraded my tackle to include the Jackall Filick Shake Worm and special jig heads to match, and the Secret Weapon Recoil Rig. I hope these will help get me over the top with this technique.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-10, 02:28 PM   #49
Cavs1123

Drop-shot. I have tried it and im gonna keep tryin it but it just doesnt work for some reason.
Old 03-14-10, 12:25 AM   #50
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

Well anthonys good with the drop shot, and i've caught fish on it. its his new go-to plastic rig, where as mine is the t-rig.

Watching Kev's videos makes it all clearer.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.