Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 12-26-11, 12:12 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Trailing behind...

I hear alot about using trailer hooks on hairpin spin baits (which I do). Yet I don't hear much about trailer hooks and swimjigs. Traditionally jigs or rather alot of jigs have short shank hooks because I guess the fish tends to inhale a jig. But with swimming a jig, it's some what of a spinner bait replacement (originally anyway), right?
Hence a trailer would seem to me to be as neccesary or more advantagist on a swimjig setup.
Is it because we swimjig through grass and weed and rarely use spinners in similar locations.
So does anyone use traiers and swimjigs?
As always when, why and all other input is welcomed and thanks.

Good fishing to all!
Old 12-26-11, 01:08 PM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have never fished a swimjig with a trailer hook, mainly because I always use a trailer bait on mine. I use single tailed grubs and boot tailed swimbaits on the back of my swimjigs to help give them a secondary action. Not sure a trailer hook would do well in some of the areas I try to fish a swimjig.
Old 12-26-11, 03:41 PM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would not choose to use a trailer hook with a swim jig simply because of where I fish swim jigs. I always fish swimjigs around some kind of shallow cover. While there is a weedguard in front of the main hook, the trailing hook would probably snag on everything it came near. Just assuming here. But with a spinnerbait, the wire that rises above the main lure body acts asa a pretty darn good weedguard and tends to also protect a trailer hook fairly well. You don't have that with a swim jig.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.