Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-23-12, 02:00 PM   #1
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Flipping stick

Question. I am just a little confused. I went looking in Bass Pro shop catalog for a flipping stick. No rods really designated as fliiping sticks. Is it basically just your heavy and extra heavy rods. I have made it my technique to learn this season so trying to learn what i can. Plus what is the difference between fliiping and pitching. Both are basically up close type fishing the way i see it. I have 2 Cabelas Prodigy rods heavy 7 foot and was thinking if these would be ok.
Any help appreciated.
Thank you
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 02:49 PM   #2
DVT Mike

Pitching is a little longer distance cast than a flip. There are all kinds of videos out there demonstrating. Technique designations are largely marketing. You can flip or pitch cast any rod or bait to some extent. Match the rod to the bait and cover and have at it. If you want help or suggestions let us know what you want to throw and where along with what rods you already have.
Old 01-23-12, 05:31 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Most "flipping sticks" are 7'6" or longer and are telescopic. They are generally at least MH in power and a lot of them are heavy or extra heavy. They are designed to handle heavier baits and heavier lines. I have a few and they seem to be more geared towards flipping than pitching (as the name would suggest). When pitching (which is the most popular technique for close quarter fishing) I actually prefer a 7' heavy jig rod because it is easier to work with in tight spots like around docks or over head brush.
Old 01-23-12, 05:46 PM   #4
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A few manufacturers do brand there rods as "technique specific" - basically the techniques thier rod may be best suited for. If you check those brands you can get an idea of the power/action of a rod for that technique looks like. Not everyone's preference will be exactly the same and conditions you'll be fishing also play a part in rod selection.

As mentioned above - I prefer a longer (7'6" H/f) rod for flippin' or pitching in pretty open areas. Pitchin' tighter areas I go down to a 7' H/f or MH/f depending upon the severity of the cover.

If I only had one, then I think it'd be the 7' H/f which IMO best suits all needs relatively well.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 07:15 PM   #5
kennethdaysale

Anybody here old enough to remember when Dee Thomas was the kaschiszmet? There were folks back then that swore up and down that that new fangled fliipn deal was going to deplete fish stocks across the country.
Old 01-23-12, 08:33 PM   #6
DJ_Callahan_27

I have a 7'4" mh fast action rod that serves me well with both pitching and flipping. However, there isn't alot of grass or matted vegation where I fish. Mostly laydown trees, brush piles, docks, and thing all that. If I fish around heavy grass or mats I would most likely use a heavier powered rod.

Another thought is line choice. Braids in my opinion allow you to get away with a MH as oposed to a H powered pole. The reason for this is the lack of stretch in the line still allows good hook sets and the ablity to horse the fish out without worrying about breaking the line (65lb braid as oposed to 20lb flouro). The MH has alittle more give that lets the fish take the bait without you pulling the bait away from the fish as you tend to do with a H powered rod.

Now before you guys write back calling me CRAZY, this is just my opinion and I'm in no way shape or form claiming to be an expert on pitching and flipping. Matter of fact, I'm still learning the technique myself.

I prefer Flouro over braid where I fish

DJ
DJ_Callahan_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-12, 08:47 PM   #7
finessefishin
BassFishin.Com Member

When you pitch you disengage the reel so you can cast farther but when flipping you keep the reel engaged and hold extra line with your other hand. I prefer a 7'4" or 7'6" H rod. I also use 50 lb test braid so I can horse fish out of cover.
finessefishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 08:49 AM   #8
syd

Thanks for the feedback.,
Here is my situation. I am going to Kentucky Lake first week of May. (supposed to have been guntersville but that changed). I have hired a guide for the first day. He has told me we would be flipping bushes mostly. I have 2 Cabelas Prodigy series rods heavy 7 foot. I have Revo reels 6.4, 2 quantums and 1 Lews all 7.1. The guide said he prefers mono or floro 25-30 lb rather than braid when flipping trees. I have never flipped or pitched but i have a few months to practice. I want to setup one rod / reel combo and start doing some flipping everytime i fish so when i get there i will be able to do this. Plus i have been practicing off my deck.
Will what i have work?
Old 01-24-12, 09:58 AM   #9
bassboogieman

The Prodigy rods would work for me, especially if you've not used the technique before. If you haven't used it, you may not have much use for it in the future, so why invest in a new rod for an unknown. Should you be successful and see a need going forward then a new rod will likely be in your future. The reel isn't so important in flipping, any of yours would be acceptable for flipping. I'm not a fan of heavy flurocarbon but everyone has different preferences, mine would be braid. As you have two rods, I'd utilize both - one with a jig the other with a plastic worm or beaver as a follow up or change up bait.
Good luck!
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 11:31 AM   #10
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Doesn't Crankbait have a video on flipping, that uses a very unique technique? Definitely worth checking out. I don't do much flipping/pitching but have an All Star Tommy Biffle Sig Series 7'6" HF, that seems to fit pretty well, I use a Curado 301 on it, because it doubles as my light swimbait rod, spooled with 65lb braid. Point being, other than the reel, I picked that rod up for $50 on Ebay, was wondering if some others feel this is an acceptable set-up for the technique(?). But, to answer the question, yes, those set-ups will work, it's the practice that matters most, because if you aren't comfortable doing it, you won't have a very rewarding trip.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 11:41 AM   #11
Tavery5

I agree with Boogieman, the equipment you have will work just fine, no need to spend additional money unless you just want to. I prefer high speed reels, they allow you to make your cast and then retrieve your bait a little quicker to hit the next spot, but any of the reels you listed will work well. If it were me I would choose a copoly line over the braid or fluoro for this, braid can have a tendency to saw, this can cause it to get hung up on loose pieces of old decaying tree. Fluoro would work well, but it can be a little tough to manage when you start using 30# test line, and it is expensive. You might take a look at a couple of the products from P-line, they make a good Fluoro coated copoly, less expensive, more manageable, and good abrasion resistance. In any case, do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle of KVD Line and Lure conditioner, it will help with line management greatly.
Old 01-24-12, 11:50 AM   #12
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmatic View Post
Doesn't Crankbait have a video on flipping, that uses a very unique technique? Definitely worth checking out. I don't do much flipping/pitching but have an All Star Tommy Biffle Sig Series 7'6" HF, that seems to fit pretty well, I use a Curado 301 on it, because it doubles as my light swimbait rod, spooled with 65lb braid. Point being, other than the reel, I picked that rod up for $50 on Ebay, was wondering if some others feel this is an acceptable set-up for the technique(?). But, to answer the question, yes, those set-ups will work, it's the practice that matters most, because if you aren't comfortable doing it, you won't have a very rewarding trip.

The setup you have will work just fine, the 301 will def. drag them out of the heaviest of cover. My only concern is the weight of the reel 11.4oz, if it is a technique you are going to use all day, you may benefit from a lighter reel like the Shimano 200 series, but what you have will def. get the job done.
Old 01-24-12, 01:39 PM   #13
Dogmatic
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thanks, that's what I was wondering. Not a technique I use often, and I have been concentrating on swimbait fishing, so fatigue from the weight of the set-ups and baits, is something I am trying to get use to.
Dogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-12, 03:02 PM   #14
syd

This is exactly the feedback i am looking for. I will stick with the rods and reels i have for now. I have a few months of fishing to practice. Between now and then i will just practice around docks and brush. Plus when i fish Buggs Island certain times you do have to get in the bushes to catch them. I already use the line conditioner and it really seems to help.
Thanks again
Old 01-25-12, 11:46 PM   #15
james86

I have an 8' Field and Stream "Tech Spec" I believe it's called. It's called a once piece but the handle is retractable. I was unsure at first because an 8' flipping stick is hard for me to use since I'm 5'9". But once I got used to it I love it and I find myself using it more than anything else I have. I got this rod on sale for around $40-$50 so it's not a very high end rod but it works surprisingly well and the only complaint I have is it is a bit on the heavy side.
Old 01-26-12, 09:28 AM   #16
lilmule

Since youve hired a guide most likly up north like big bear or Moors resort area,we do have a couple that work down here.As for braid or mono or fluro its a personal preference with the angler,some like to be able to break it off when hung,some want to bring the tree in.
Its not all flipping,thats a good time also for a starter ledge bite,if shallower ledges then T rig will work other wise a crig,and either of those rods you mentioned 7 ft 2 in to 7 ft 6in MH or H will work doing flipping and not all flipping rods are telescopic either.Green pumpkin bushog and sweet beavers also other species like 20-30 pd drum will eat them.
Dave Stewart is most popular guide up there,he wrote the book Out on a ledge,but regardless of whom you are using ask to ledge fish some while here if for nothing else than the experience.
Im farther south Paris Landing,Tn but if you going to be down this way give me a holler or pm .
That time of year hard not to catch fish doing anything bandit 200 and follow the bank,lazer eyes ,dd22 anything,lead in lead out banks being primary then points.

Last edited by lilmule; 01-26-12 at 01:10 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.