Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-21-05, 11:42 AM   #1

Default Fishing hydrella

Hello all I could use some help. I'm fishing Bear Creek in Panama City. They Lowered The lake and the Hydrella (sorry about the spelling) is thick. The depth is frome 3 to 6 ft. I tried the Frog and the Rat thing but no luck. I got a 6lb bass and a few 2 to 4 pounders on shinners working the stumps but the big boys are in the thick stuff.So thick any thing I throw at it Ither floats on top or gets snaged right away. Tight lines to all
Old 01-21-05, 11:57 AM   #2
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Re: Fishing hydrella

[quote author=Glass Man link=board=news;num=1106318561;start=0#0 date=01/21/05 at 09:42:41]Hello all I could use some help. I'm fishing Bear Creek in Panama City. They Lowered The lake and the Hydrella (sorry about the spelling) is thick. The depth is frome 3 to 6 ft. I tried the Frog and the Rat thing but no luck. I got a 6lb bass and a few 2 to 4 pounders on shinners working the stumps but the big boys are in the thick stuff.So thick any thing I throw at it Ither floats on top or gets snaged right away. Tight lines to all [/quote]

I would try a PNJ or a texas-rigged plastic tube or worm, or weightless rigged Lizard to work slowly over the top and into the holes. Use plenty of scent to slicken up the bait so it can move easier over the hydrilla. Yes you'll get caught up some, but you're right the big boys are in the thick stuff, it's worth the hassle when you catch one or two or three Good fishing to ya.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-05, 12:37 PM   #3

PNJ ? I don't want to sound dum but what's PNJ mean ?Thanks for takeing the time to respond Glass Man
Old 01-21-05, 01:16 PM   #4
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

pig n jig
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-05, 02:39 PM   #5
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

The only good thing about getting snagged deep in the hydrilla is that in order to become unstuck you create a hole. Openings in hydrilla are like twenty dollar bills hanging out of a pocket in NYC. Not a matter of when you get hit but by who and how many. I love hydrilla, put a pnj in a hole or drop it off the top, rig a tube,lizard,worm,creature, your neighbors gerbil! Whatever, go across that mat ever so slowly and just wait for it to fall through the cracks. One thing you need to do is put some kick a** line on. Wet hydrilla's w/ a bass are not a light thing. 1# fish 10# aquatic vegetation. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-05, 08:15 PM   #6
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=Glass Man link=board=news;num=1106318561;start=0#2 date=01/21/05 at 10:37:20]PNJ ? I don't want to sound dum but what's PNJ mean ?Thanks for takeing the time to respond Glass Man[/quote]

PNJ= Jig, with an attached plastic trailer that looks like a crawdad. It was origianlly called a Pig, because they were all originally made from pork. The Jig is a Leadheaded hook, with a skirt and brushes for a weed guard. Someone will probably post a picture if were lucky 8) Anyway it is usually a pretty good lure to use when fishing cover, because it tends to keep you from getting really caught up if you pay attention, due to the weedguard. And you're welcome, why not join the site, lots of great folks here. And it's Free.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 11:04 PM   #7

LIZARDS, yOUR SO RIGHT. GOOD FOLKS AND GREAT INFORMATION. i TRIED THE WORM IN THE HOLE THING TODAY AND BINGO 5 LB. BASS Glass Man
Old 01-22-05, 11:19 PM   #8
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

Glad to hear it worked for ya. Wheres the picture? 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 02:27 AM   #9
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY

well in my state we look forward to finding awsome cover like you are takling about. ;D ;D Â*
I'm pretty new to this forume but I think you need to texas rig your fav plastic and have at her with more vertical fishing. Â*when i get into this stuff I t-rig worms, tubes, brushhogs, lizards, whatever the monkey is for the day. rig that on 7.5'-8' heavy duty rod with good bait cast reel and some kick a** braid line min 30lb. flip her in there and take your time the hogs are going too..

Other option's are to T-rig something weghtless like a rubber jerk or senko or floating worm brush the top of that cover or try to slik it in those boat and natural lines in that cover.
I also like to through spinner and buzz baits over the top that cover if Ican get away with it. thats only if there isn't a canapy but if the cover gives me a foot or so before it hits top of the water. i will give it small a try. Just to buzz over the top to get a reaction strike is goal here.

I think any body will agree that your going to get the crap on your line. :-/

pratice flipping!!!this helps me to be more acurate and aliminates most of stick fish and pulled up cover and hydrilla.

above all work from the outside and in to the cover. take your time. try not to freek em out with your presence.

Good luck!!!
Dan
aka:: 2canbass Â*
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-05, 01:23 PM   #10
Mr.Wiffle
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Mr.Wiffle

Up here in New Hampshire we are getting more and more milfoil everyday. It fishes about the same as hydrilla. I have found that a Plastic Craw in black with blue claws works great. PNJ has it right too with the jig (with rattles). Try swimming the jig along the weed edges and pitch into parts of the hydrilla that look different, Grass piles or cracks in the thickest grass you can find. Also look at bunches of weeds that are away from the thick stuff in some deeper water. The bite in the first part of the morning have always worked for me on weed points.

Mr.Wiffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-05, 04:41 PM   #11
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

After fishing Toledo Bend for several years I started just drifting over the hydrilla. When I found an open spot, I would lower a worm into these areas and crawl it along until I got a strike. If not I would go to the next spot. By doing this I caught several bass in the 3-5 lb range.
You may wish to try a "Rayborn Red" rattle- trap.
The color is actually a red crawfish. Just fish it over the tops of the grass and jerk it as it gets hung up. Thats alot of times when a fish will strike.
Bass also hang out around the edges. A crankbait, or a spinnerbait can really mop up.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-05, 07:41 PM   #12
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

a red trap would be a good choice. i fished alot of hydrilla. i would remove the front hook on a trap and and put a english hook on the back then burn it right through the grass. use 12-14 pound test. i have caught loads of bass doing this.learned this style of grass fishing from a canadian-not zilla-

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-05, 08:06 PM   #13
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

This might help:

The jig

The pig

And when fishing heavy cover, creature baits like this work great.

Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.