Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-09-05, 03:34 PM   #1
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver
Default Trip to Lake "O"

Well I just booked Art Ferguson from Roland Martin's Marina for a full day on Saturday 4/23/05. It will be myself my father, and brother. Anyway we will be staying at the Marina for a night, and thought I might just go back out Sunday to fish without the guide. My first question is how will a 16' Flat bottom aluminum boat handle the big O? I've been told due to all of the vegetation, I shouldn't have a problem with waves. Also anyone that has any good info on any smaller bodies of water around lake O I would appreciate it. I should be able to fish sat-mon, and drive back on tues. I'm pretty fired up about it, can't wait to hook into that Hawg I've been looking for.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 03:49 PM   #2
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch
Default Re: Trip to Lake "O"

Dont know a lot about the Big O. Coming out of Clewiston(MARTINS MARINA). The rim canal surrounds the lake. One spot that is productive is the west wall. Im sure the guide will fill you in. If the wind is up the lake gets as bad as any ocean will. Ive been there on a windy day and had 2-3 foot waves. If the lake is rough go to the rim canal. From there you can access numerous canals and runoffs. I personally do most of my fishing through here. A guide from Martins will probably tell you everything you need to know. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 04:00 PM   #3
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

The vegitation thing both is and isn't true with those big lakes in florida. If you get a 15 mile wind from the south (which is what you can expect that time of year basically), then the waves that are created are big enough to still travel through 100 yards of maidencane and still make an impact on the inside of the weedline. White caps are pretty much eliminated inside the weedline and its not a dangerous scenerio by any means for a 16 foot boat, but it likely wont be glass. I've handled 25 mile per hour winds before in my 13 1/2 foot boat down there, so just don't do anything stupid and you will be fine. You may be in store for a bit of a rough ride, but I guess you knew that already.

I think RM's marina is on the west side of the lake around clewiston. That means lake Hippochee, maybe the kissimmee river, I'm told numerous canals and perhaps lake isotopga or walk in the water on your way back.

I know what you mean about being excited. I've decided that regardless of money issues, I'm heading to Kissimmee march 25th...if I'm broke then I guess I'll just have to camp in the bush.
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 05:27 PM   #4
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

I don't know much about the big O other than its huge, shallow, weedy, and full of bass. I think the rim canal is supposed to be good fishing, at some parts it gets up to 30' deep on it (god fo c-rigging). Plus its got a lot of flooded timber and brush. I'd say try and flip a paca craw. I know someone who got 2nd in a BFL tournament doing that there.
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 07:01 PM   #5
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

i was just near the big ''o'' a few weeks ago on a hunting trip. i went right through clewiston. unfortunatly u cant see the lake from the road due to the damming around the lake but all the canals look really good to fish. hope u have a good time and catch the biggun
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 07:11 PM   #6
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

the rim canal actually connects the west coast to the east coast of Fl through a series of canal and and locks. If you are there be prepared for big boats. Im talking large 30,40,50 footers. They run the rim canal until they get to the channel that runs through the middle of the lake towards the east. They usually will slow down....but there are a few @$%holes that will still run at a pretty good clip, these boats will put out 2-4 ft wakes. I know my boat got swamped down there last year. If I wouldnt have gotten my nose turned into it I would have flipped my liitle boat. Be careful. The rim canal and channel are well in the 30'+ depth. Just in case you dont know already the bIG "O" is 37-38 miles N-S and 34-35 E-W, talk about inland ocean. 8)
Old 02-09-05, 07:26 PM   #7
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

yep and most of it anit ten feet deep

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 09:12 PM   #8
profishermenkid16
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to profishermenkid16

Lizards, Flip 'em your lizard. ;D Remember to say Oh Son! alot and stammer its a really, really big fish Oh son its a 6, 7, 9, 10,12lber son git th' net. ;D ;D ;D You th' man Lizards. 8) P N J
profishermenkid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 10:09 PM   #9
BassNva
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BassNva

i fished around roland's marina.caught fish right under his docks.there's a canal right by his marina.it's not very wide or deep.lots of pads and weeds from what i remember.it has been about 8 or 9 yrs since i been down to clewiston.good fishing.
BassNva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-05, 10:16 PM   #10
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry I have more. When you exit through the lock into the rim canal that is the primary release area for tourneys. I have caught fish to the left and right and straight up the middle from there no more than a hundred yards. Ill try to quit now. 8)
Old 02-09-05, 11:19 PM   #11
LEVI
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to LEVI

Lizard,
Good for you, I hope you catch that fish of a lifetime. One day I hope to get the chance to go to the "Big O" but until then I will continue to dream. Good luck

Kybasser
LEVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 05:45 PM   #12
danrw84
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to danrw84

And don't forget the digital camera so you can show all of us your prize! ;D
danrw84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 06:15 PM   #13
Frank_Eagles
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Frank_Eagles

If you want to catch a limit of copperheads, fish beetlespins in the rim canal. Or, fish for bass, and in shifts for bream. Have fun with the bass, have fries with the bream
Frank_Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 07:42 PM   #14
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

what is a copperhead ???
Old 02-11-05, 08:19 PM   #15
Infisherman1
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Infisherman1

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=MessBoards;num=1107974098;start=0#13 date=02/11/05 at 17:42:12]what is a copperhead ???[/quote]

Copperhead is a kinda poisonous snake. http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/natsci/herp...e/venomsnk.htm
Infisherman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-05, 09:37 PM   #16
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

ok i no what a copperhead is. i thought he meant a fish
Old 02-11-05, 11:03 PM   #17
zman
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to zman

It is also a type of bluegill, or could that be a coppernose...?
zman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-05, 08:20 PM   #18
Frank_Eagles
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Frank_Eagles

I meant a bream, maybe it is a copper nose. Around here, they're copperheads. When they get really big, they grow a copper band across their forehead. Sorry bout the confusion
Frank_Eagles is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.