Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions

Old 05-10-13, 12:42 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Curiosity question

How often to you guys test your scales for accuracy?

I check them at least a couple of times a month but mine aren't bouncing around a boat going 60 mph on rough water either.
I've never trusted scales and when fishing with others who have a scale I will weigh fish on both and rarely get the same weight on each.

So anglers, whats your thoughts on this?
Old 05-10-13, 01:18 PM   #2
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post

I check them at least a couple of times a month but mine aren't bouncing around a boat going 60 mph on rough water either.
I've never trusted scales and when fishing with others who have a scale I will weigh fish on both and rarely get the same weight on each.

I have two of the Berkley "lip-grip" scales...one for the boat and one for the dock anglers. I usually do a comparison of those on a couple of the same fish a couple times a summer. They are almost always either the same or an ounce off. At least once I year, I try to weigh something that I (supposedly) know the exact weight of and they seem to do well there also.
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-13, 05:53 PM   #3
bassinbob

Joe I've been in the meat cutting business since the late 60's. Everyday I weigh meat on scales. I can pick up a peice of meat and tell you its weight. So when I check my fishing scale I campare it to something I weigh in my hand first. Ninty nine percent of the time I can take what I've just estimated in my hand and then put it on the fish scale I use and I am correct. Just kidding. I will take my fish scale into work and weigh something and compare it to the certified scales we have. Good thought there joe.
Old 05-12-13, 02:21 AM   #4
bluebasser86
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedog View Post

I just bought a new one and forgot to test it before we went out on Friday. My buddy caught a really fat 17" smallmouth and wanted to weigh it. He put it on the scale and it rang up a whopping 11 ounces I couldn't get it to work right all day. I guess I'll have to take it back and try to get one that works right. It could have at least weighed way too heavy instead of way too light
bluebasser86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 07:34 PM   #5
Marty

I generally test a couple of times a year by weighing stuff that's already been weighed on certified scales. Or I also test when the scale doesn't agree with my estimate of a fish's weight (within reason).

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-13, 09:58 PM   #6
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

mine has this neon light that reads out DINK !!! so i know it is pretty accurate. hahahaa!!!
Old 05-13-13, 06:26 AM   #7
lilmule

They are like any tool some better than others,does pay to check against a known weight,and somewhat like a speedometer accurate at 40 does not mean it is at 60.Somewhat occurring if not made to cull with.Some actually read in tenths,like 6.2 lbs not 6lbs 2 oz.I have one,as well as another of same brand that reads in 100ths,like 8.26,both made by the same company.

Last edited by lilmule; 05-13-13 at 06:31 AM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.