Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 09-30-10, 04:43 PM   #1
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Round reels. How many use them in your arsenal?

I don't know if there has been a thread that covers this topic, other than reel reviews. How many of you use a round reel? What brand? What kind and size rod do you use for it? What do you use it for?

I use Abu 5600C4 and 4600C4's. I have the 5600 on a 7' MH Ugly Stik lite. The 4600 on a Med 6'6" Berkley Shock rod. As I wrote in another thread I was using the 5600/ Ugly stick with 30 lb Power Pro until a few weeks ago when I saw the line was eating up my rod guides. I am either going to put the reel on another Shock rod or a Cabela's Fish Eagle 2. The Fish eagle is a great rod for around 80.00. It has Fuji hard guides. I'll continue to use the power Pro line. I use this for areas that has Pike and a few Musky mixed in with some larger bass. I use this for Swim baits, Spoons, and Carolina rigs, heavy large cranks.

The 4600 is spooled with 15 Lb stealth spider. This gets used for Cranks, lighter swim baits, Light jigging spoons in semi deep water. I also use it for Senkos and for worms in shallow water.

I will say that the majority of my rigs are Lo Pro set ups. I learned to use a bait caster MANY years ago. A Abu C3 5500 was what I learned on. One of the biggest reasons, other than they are great reliable reels is, that when I use them, it takes me back to those days long ago when I first learned. Nostalgia is the word. Still like to use them after all these years. My C3's have been given to my four sons. They all learned on them. Was I mean! The reels still work like the day I bought them. With proper maintenance, they do last forever. I'd be interested to hear if others still use these great dinosaurs.

Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 05:13 PM   #2
Ebbetsguy

I loved those reels by ABU, among the best values and highest quality I have ever fished. I broke both my Thumbs several years ago, I got hit by a van, and when i saw it coming I outstretched my arms and broke both thumbs and a collar bone. I can not deal with the thumb angle of these reels or I would have stayed with them.

My Favorite were the ABU 5600WS, the Whiffed Spoon version of the c 4, you can get them still at ff0-tackle for about 60 bucks!

I have owned said model, a C3, A Record N50 and 2 more models, if I was not in so much pain I would have stuck with them

I have since decided to back to the reels I learned on Pfluger Trions, not the new 2011 ut the old school version
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 05:45 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I find round reels uncomfortable, and only use then when necessary (my C4 for musky fishing).

There is something about round reels that just look great...

BB
Old 09-30-10, 05:48 PM   #4
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I use them and love how they look. I have a round abu dabboo (rh)and a shimano cardiff 301A (lh). Round reels rock. Look good, feel good, work good... okay work well.
Old 09-30-10, 05:50 PM   #5
mike234

I have a late 60's amb 5000 that i still use and is good as the day it was purchased. Have 3 more Amb 5500's I use. 2 @ are on Shimano swimbait 7-11 H & XH rods. They cast like dreams and handle the heavy line required very easily. The other is on a Shimano Crankbat rod and will throw all but the lightest lures easily. In fact when crankbaiting I will pick it up before my Curado's. I like the new reels shape but I like the round reels for all the other mechanics of casting.
mike234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 05:56 PM   #6
Ebbetsguy

Me and the fish could care less how they look, it's how they fish. Round reels, particularly ABU's are the most under rated great fishing tools out there. I see a lot of older fellas, my age, fishing our local lakes with ABU's that are decades old!
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 06:20 PM   #7
coachpurdy

ABU 4600's is about all I fish with, mostly C3's over 10 yrs old. They have outlasted my rods. I just bought a REVO on sale its the first low profile reel I have had since I was twelve. ( That was a long time ago in case you were wondering )
coachpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 06:24 PM   #8
Dave63

I don't have one...yet...I plan on getting one for cranking duties and for larger toothy species...
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-10, 11:47 PM   #9
66KingFisher

I've got two round reels that were given to me by my landlord/fishin partner....Both are Abu's.....One is the red bodied, Sweden made, Ambassadeur 5000 and the other is the 5500 C3.....I've used both but I ended up just putting the 5000 on the shelf as a display item, but the C3 gets used occasionally....Although I must admit, that for my hand size I prefer the lower profile reels over the round ones so I don't use it often.....but that C3 is a workhorse.
Old 10-01-10, 10:30 AM   #10
cody77
BassFishin.Com Member

I have 2 AMB 4600's and 2 AMB 5600's and I love all four of them
cody77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-10, 11:41 AM   #11
dave0943

Thanks for all the responses. I'm glad other appreciate these reels. I would say my use is 35% round, 65% Lo pro. I do have quite a bit of a problem with Pike taking my bass baits. I guess its not that bad of a problem to have. My Abu's do handle this quite well. My sons 20, 22, 25, 28 all enjoy the c3's I gave them. Learning on these reels have made them better fisherman. They also enjoy the Revo's, Curado's and PQ's like the Old man. Ebbetsguy, It's been many years since I've been to Brooklyn. I was born and raised in my early years in Jersey. I'm gonna give my age away by saying , when I was a kid I collected Brooklyn Dodger baseball cards. My grandfather took me to many yanks games in the early 60's.
As far as the Abu's, its good to see younger generations using and liking the oldschool reels, that still are great.
Dave
Dave
Old 10-01-10, 02:13 PM   #12
cassidyta

I have 2 bantums and 2 calcuttas. I use the bantums because of their low ratio 4.7:1 and the calcutta's for my large swimbaits.
Old 10-03-10, 09:29 AM   #13
keithdog

I've been using the ABU round years for over 30 years and still find them to be an excellent choice of reel, especially when you want brute strength. But I will tell you that I've converted over to low profile reels mainly because I have smaller hands and find the low profile reels much more confortable to use. I've never used the round Garcia Record model, but it sure is tempting to buy!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10, 11:56 AM   #14
bamabassman

Got one recently, and I AM gonna use it. Gonna get a couple more from my dad. Will use them too. mostly for DEEP cranking.
Old 10-03-10, 01:42 PM   #15
florida fisher

I got a abu garcia 5500 inshore and 5600C4
Old 10-03-10, 09:25 PM   #16
Bender

I have only 1 round reel now, a Calcutta 100. I've put new bearings and drag washers in it and really like it. There's just a different feel using it.

I've been meaning to get an Abu, this thread just reminded me of that.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10, 10:38 PM   #17
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have two of them for swimbaits. Got a Abu 6501 and a Shimano Cardiff 301. Honesty can't stand the Abu, and only use it when I have to. The Cardiff is a little better but if I didn't have to use them I wouldn't.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-10, 10:53 PM   #18
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I have got to bump the grain on the round reels. Like KeithDog said, I have small hands, not like the weirdo on the BK commercials, but still small. When I did use them, I found my hands cramping and feeling awkward, so I switched back to lo-pros. I used to have a Calcutta and a Abu 5500 C3. I still have the Abu for cat fishing somewhere, but I traded the Calcutta for another Curado. But I am a firm believer in every man to his own option and not knocking anyone for using them. But I will stick to my lo-pros.
Old 10-04-10, 12:33 AM   #19
Rebbasser

I use a Daiwa Millionaire for swimbaits-need the additional line capacity, Otherwise I prefer low profile. They just fit my hands better. O ise it on a Nitro BPS swimbait rod.
Old 10-04-10, 12:29 PM   #20
dave0943

I can see having smaller hands could make using round reels awkward. Especially any larger size round reels, let say over a Abu 5500 size. I have average size hands and find palming them comfortable. My only minor complaint would be the weight. My Abu's are 4600- approx 9 + oz. and 5600-10+ 0z. It doesn't bother me enough to sway using them. I do love my Lo Pros though and plan to use them both. I haven't ever used any other brands then the Abu's. I've always wanted to try a Calcutta. I may if a sale comes around when I have a few extra bucks.

I did replace my Ugly Stick Lite that the guides got eaten up from power Pro > I bought a new Cabela's Fish Eagle 2, MH/ 7'/ 1 pc. I tested it in the yard yesterday with the 5600. If you have never picked one of these rods up, the next time you stop in a Cabela's, please do. The best 80.00 rod I've ever owned. This is my second FE 2. I compare these to my St Croix Mojo's. Don't think I'll have to worry about the guides with this one.
Old 10-05-10, 07:09 PM   #21
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
I use a Daiwa Millionaire for swimbaits-need the additional line capacity, Otherwise I prefer low profile. They just fit my hands better. O ise it on a Nitro BPS swimbait rod.
Reb, I'm dying to know...how old is your Millionair? I remember when they first came out. I wanted one so badly but couldn't afford one, which kinda makes me laugh now considering what reels cost now day, which I might add is insane! Ok, so I'm showing my age, haha.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-10, 04:59 PM   #22
DaveW731

Default Love mine!

I only have one (total 4 baitcasters) but LOVE it for fishing scumfrogs. For some reason, I like to hold the reel more than the rod when scumming and the round reel nestles better in my palm.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 10:09 PM   #23
tim4081

I have two round reels. The Abu 4600 c3 gets used for larger spinner baits and for spoons when targeting pike. The other is a Guide series Gander Mtn. model I got a good deal on when they were discontinuing it. Its a little bigger than the Abu with more line capacity. I use it mostly for throwing lipless cranks and deep divers. I'm not sure who made them for Gander but it's exceptionally smooth with an aluminum frame and good drag....very strong reel thats landed its share of nice bass and some pike over ten pounds.
tim4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-10, 12:24 PM   #24
dave0943

CamG,
I can see why you might not like the 6501 for bass. That's a pretty big and heavy reel for bass fishing. Great for LARGE pike and musky. I use my 4600 and 5600 for bass. They also work great for pike and musky. I do nail pike quite often when tossing cranks and spoons for bass. The 4600 gets the most use. The 5600 does get used quite a bit as well. Thinking about it, I would have to say my round reels get used 25 to 30% of the time and Lo Pro 75 to 80% of my BC use. My newer 5600 C4 is a joy to use, casts excellent, and feels pretty darn comfortable to me. Ah! the choices!
Dave
Old 10-20-10, 11:11 AM   #25
WTL

I prefer round reels. I dont think they have to be, but in my experience they are or feel more solid than lp. Maybe the market of fishermen who demand round reels is the same market that is less concerned about light weigh or super fast spools, and more concerned with tolerances, rigidity, strength - a round reel has a mechanical feel - and maybe the manufacturers are responding to those preferences.

I do like the REVO lps, have 2 now, but if I could design a reel it would be round.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.