Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-20-11, 11:10 AM   #26
Ebbetsguy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

There you go, you got that one right, good trait for a sherrif!
I hope you checked back I posted that myself a while ago
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 11:13 AM   #27
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

OK Muddy
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 12:11 PM   #28
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Will you guys stop perpetuating the myth that the Revo Premier is made of graphite? Both its frame and side plate are made of aluminum.

***EDIT***

Ahhh, I misunderstood your post....yes, the spinning Premier does indeed have some graphite in it. My bad.
Old 03-20-11, 07:34 PM   #29
unbiased14
BassFishin.Com Member

When I said I am a beleiver in split grips, I mean they feel a little more ergonomic and I do believe that they reduce a little bit of the weight from the rod. I do also believe that they move the balance point in the rod a little bit forward. an example here is between a St. croix Mojo Bass spinnerbait rod, and a St. criox triumph casting rod in 7'MH (the same action and power) and I noticed that the balance was better in the triumph than the Mojo spinnerbait rod. I think that this might be the result of removing weight from the handle, and just about nothing from the blank.

Also,
I have no doubt that graphite reels do flex. But to what degree? I'm sure aluminum will flex too if it comes upon the right amount of stress. But I have no doubt in my mind that aluminum will take much more stress than graphite before flexing. I've used the crap out of my S.Max and I haven't seen any failures. But, I gotta keep it real here. It does not perform as well as it did when I first got it. In it's current condition, there is a little bit of noise from the gears when I retreive. I envestigated this to see it I could fix it. My initial impression was that the gears had worn a little bit. My plan was to take the reel apart and try to add some bicycle chain grease to "cushion" the contact of the gear cogs and make it silent. Before I took it apart, I turned the handle as fast as I could, and heard a very obvious and almost loud noise. Afterwards, when I took the spool out, I turned the handle again as fast as I could, and I noticed little noise coming from the gears. This puzzled me, and I ended up trying to decide if this really makes a difference in my fishing. I decided that It wouldn't make enough of a difference for me to notice other than the noise. So I left it alone, and it's been fine.

To all: I'm not saying that people that have aluminum reels will say that graphite sucks, it's just that I didn't get why A FEW people felt oblidged to do so (not saying that's anyone here) for one reason or another. The reason I choose to stick with the graphite reels I have now Is because I think that they offer great value (what I get for the money), and because I've had good experiences with them. I'm trying to get the money to pull the trigger on some good combos with aluminum reels, It's just it's taking some time to get the money together. unfortunately, for me, it takes some time for me to get 120$ or more together.

Bigbassin144, I should have been more clear. What I wrote didn't reflect what I was thinking at the time it was written. I have no doubt that the IMX will perform better than the tec spec, but I personally believe that what I will get for another 235$ with the IMX over the tec spec isn't worth the money. You may think differently, and there's nothing wrong with that. However, me being 15, I don't have the money to pull the trigger on a 300$ rod when a 60$ rod will work just fine for me.

Not to seem selfish or anything, but now that you bring it up, would anyone be willing to let me borrow a decent combo for a day or two? Unfortunately, I don't really have any friends here who like to fish a lot (I live in pennsylvania) who have a decent casting combo. Gosh, i'm beating myself up right now because I feel like a selfish brat asking this. But if anyone is kind enough to do so, please send me a PM or respond to this post or something.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Last edited by unbiased14; 03-20-11 at 07:49 PM.
unbiased14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 09:00 PM   #30
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Un where do you live in Pa?
Old 03-20-11, 10:46 PM   #31
Lvitch

I may have miss read or missed something. In my post I was referring to baitcasting reels. As for spinners, graphite is good and may actually DP better than alum. Under circumstances. The loads on the frame are totally different than with a bait caster. The stress loads on a spinner are in the rotor arm, not so much the frame like a baitcaster. Graphite will to snap back and not bend. I have had both graphite and aluminum reel failures in spinners at the rotor arm. Sharks tend to tear up tackle..... honestly , this is the reason I will not spend more than100$ on a spinning reel. But will easily on a baitcaster.

Unbiased, check eBay, pawn shops, and Craigslist for good deals on used reels. They are out there and really the way to go for gear on the cheap. Also reel shops sometimes have reels left behind they will let go for the price of the repair (i have seen $200 serviced reels go for 50$) Use what you have! If people can catch fish with beer cans, used line and spark plugs for weights, what ever you have will work. Save your cash, when your ready to upgrade, choose wisely and put your money in quality components.
Old 03-21-11, 12:02 AM   #32
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

All my comments were focused solely on casting reels.
Old 03-21-11, 10:22 AM   #33
unbiased14
BassFishin.Com Member

I should have mentioned this earlier. Basically all of what I said was aimed at baitcasters, because I seem to have the most experience hard-using these than spinning reels. I tend to use baitcasting most of the time, so I won't say much on spinning until I get a good bit more experience.
Old 03-21-11, 05:45 PM   #34
Lvitch

On a baitcaster, price and components generally go hand in hand. Graphite frames are the cheapest, then aluminum frames (with graphite side plates), then the more plastic you eliminate internally, then aluminum frames with aluminum sideplates. Then the super lights, magnesium n such (steez, core, etc) I have beaten the crap out of my bps extremes for 4 seasons now with no problems. I recently went up a notch with the Rick clunn reels. Same design but smoother. I like the morris reels too but don't like the all aluminum weight.
Old 03-21-11, 06:56 PM   #35
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvitch View Post
On a baitcaster, price and components generally go hand in hand. Graphite frames are the cheapest, then aluminum frames (with graphite side plates), then the more plastic you eliminate internally, then aluminum frames with aluminum sideplates. Then the super lights, magnesium n such (steez, core, etc) I have beaten the crap out of my bps extremes for 4 seasons now with no problems. I recently went up a notch with the Rick clunn reels. Same design but smoother. I like the morris reels too but don't like the all aluminum weight.
I can tell you from experience, the Pro Quality is hands down a better performing reel than the Rick Clunn signature.

BB
Old 03-21-11, 09:00 PM   #36
Lvitch

I have both. Prefer the clunn actually. Smoother and can get the 5.4:1 basically the same reel honestly.
Old 03-22-11, 07:34 AM   #37
Ebbetsguy

You can get the PQ in 5.3:1 and it's been on sale for 79 bucks on and off, having used both reels i can tell you there is no comparison the PQ is a far better reel

If I was going to buy a reel for less than 100, Baitcasting
BPS PQ
Pflueger Trion

and for best value for the buck; ABU c,3
Ebbetsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 01:10 PM   #38
dave0943

Come to think of it I do have some graphite reels. All are spinning reels. I use a few Presidents and a few Trions. Both of these are excellent reels. I forget the Trion was only 39.00. It performs as well as my more expensive Sorons. Same with the Presidents as far as quality in a reasonable priced reel. It never occured to me that they are graphite based. Never a issue. I also own Abu Cardinal 500 Albi reels. These are aluminum framed reels at a excellent price of 69.00. less if you can find a sale. All my spinning reels perform flawless.
When shopping for Baitcasting reels for some reason my brain says to buy aluminum frames. I never thought about why I'd buy a graphite spinning reel but not a BC reel. I do spend quite a bit more for my baitcasters. My lowest price BC is a PQ and that performs like my Revo's. I suppose I buy aluminum frames most of the time for a simple reason. PEACE OF MIND! Good thread, makes you think. I also agree with Ebbetsguy on the Abu C3's and C4's as well. Never had a bad one and they last forever
Dave
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 08:34 PM   #39
unbiased14
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbob View Post
Un where do you live in Pa?
I live in downingtown.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.