Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 01-20-05, 12:53 PM   #26
FatBass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to FatBass
Default Re: Scents ?

I use scents on all the plastics I pour. I do not know if it really makes a difference but it gives me confidence that I am actually fishing better. I use Kick N Bass Garlic and Craw
FatBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 01:22 PM   #27
OhioBass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

[quote author=zooker link=board=news;num=1106170633;start=0#9 date=01/19/05 at 21:03:32]boss please note "i can't catch **** on a pnj"

zooker[/quote]
You and me both >
OhioBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 02:59 PM   #28
bearpaw
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to bearpaw

Got loads of Bang in craw,shad,and craw/shad formulas.
Just bought some Carolina bait sauce (or whatever it is called) but I'll wait till my Bang runs out before I try it.
bearpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 07:43 PM   #29
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i made the mistake of leaving a bottle of kickin bass in my boat when i put the cover on it during the summer. stuck my head under the cover a week later and about got floored. besides that stuff is sticky as heck.
i really did not like it or the results i got from it.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-05, 08:48 PM   #30
Bassin_Dude
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Bassin_Dude

where do u all get all these different scents? at wally world all they have is BANG and this other brand i ve never heard of
Bassin_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-05, 07:17 AM   #31
Shadow112950
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Shadow112950

I use worm's 75% of the time and I just rave over Berkley power bait's. Whatever they use on these worms really seems to have an effect on the quality of fish I land. Wonder why they don't bottle this stuff and sell it?
Shadow112950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-05, 02:50 PM   #32
fredhatch
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to fredhatch

You can make your scent last longer by just spraying your hands every so often. Ill coat my hands, when tying or retying a lure it gets fresh coverage scent on it. Ive never seen the logic of gobbing loads of stuff on and throwing it out there. Kinda like the guy who walks in the bar w/ 1/2 a bottle of old spice on him and wonders why people are dying to get away. Are the lady who wears enough perfume to cause allergic reactions to people on the opposite side of the building from the smell. Maybe Im wrong , but bass have pretty acute senses and we introduce this 4" gob of come and eat me, dont I smell good. They might think (excuse this)its a little fishy and steer away. 8)
fredhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-05, 08:19 PM   #33
macgyver
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to macgyver

[quote author=bassfisher02 link=board=news;num=1106170633;start=25#29 date=01/20/05 at 18:48:47]where do u all get all these different scents? at wally world all they have is BANG and this other brand i ve never heard of[/quote]

You have to go to some other fishing store, or order on line. Wally world isn't the greatest selection around that's for sure. But they do supply a lot of folks with the basics. Try a actual sporting goods dealer instead of a general merchandise store.

Lizards
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-05, 11:25 PM   #34
Shadow112950
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to Shadow112950

[I use worm's 75% of the time and I just rave over Berkley power bait's. Â*Whatever they use on these worms really seems to have an effect on the quality of fish I land. Â*Wonder why they don't bottle this stuff and sell it?[/quote]

Let me be the first to say this....Hey you big dummy, Berkley does bottle the power bait scent.
Shadow112950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 01:01 AM   #35
ALAN_RAMSEY
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ALAN_RAMSEY

smelly jelley, smelly jelley, smelly jelley,!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Â*
And for god sakes don't pick your nose after aplication you be smelling crawfish for a year..............

I am going to try something in a pump spray any body got good ideas?
ALAN_RAMSEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 03:08 AM   #36
BaSsFiShEr20
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to BaSsFiShEr20

[quote author=2canbass link=board=news;num=1106170633;start=25#34 date=01/21/05 at 23:01:25]..............

I am going to try something in a pump spray any body got good ideas? [/quote]

yeah. www.fishformula.com

8)

Charles
BaSsFiShEr20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-05, 03:20 AM   #37
IL.bassin36
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to IL.bassin36

BANG 16 oz bottles ;D
IL.bassin36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 05:29 PM   #38
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Background. I remember reading somewhere that 80% of all sales of fish attractants end up in the tackle boxes of anglers who fish for warmwater species, mainly bass. Whether that is the correct figure or not, there is no doubt that black bass fishermen buy this stuff by the bucketful. In other fisheries, salmon anglers also depend heavily on scents, but scents are not big among trouters or fly fishermen. In saltwater, fish attractants are not widely used at all, not even for gamefish like striped bass or snook, which are caught on many of the same kinds of lures as freshwater bass. I surf fish about 200 nights a year and catch hundreds of striped bass weekly on jigs and soft plastics, along with countless bluefish and weakfish in season. The idea never enters my mind to use scents to increase the number of strikes. Sure did try 'em - various potent essences of eel, shedder crab, menhaden, herring, squid, anchovy, grass shrimp - under all different kinds of water and angling conditions, and on many different lure types. Never did find any evidence that inshore saltwater gamefish have a sweet tooth for scented lures any more than they strike unscented ones. I'm not alone on this; no one else uses them either. But when it comes to freshwater bass fishing, we pour this stuff on like it was holy water. It even becomes a confidence thing with some guys, where they just get to feeling that the scent is nearly as important as their own fishing skills or presentation abilities. This article cautions against putting so much of your confidence into scents. Yes, use them wisely and well for warmwater bass, but understand that scents are not a magic elixer to cure all your bass fishing ailments, no crutch to compensate for fishing skills - just another tool in the angler's arsenal.
It's Controversial. Do they work? Which one is the best? Why do bass bite on garlic or anise (licorice) scents? The only honest answer is that no one truly knows for sure what a bass thinks when it tastes a garlic or scent-drenched worm. But then again, no one really knows what a bass thinks when it sees a spinnerbait either. Heck, I am not even sure I know what a spinnerbait is supposed to imitate. Nevertheless, most bass anglers will say they believe that scents are positive attractants that can be smelled by bass during the closing phases of a strike sequence, and tasted and savored once the lure is held in the mouth of a bass.

Basic Anatomy. Rather than talking in terms of scents, smells, or tastes, another way to understand fish attractants is in terms of the molecules they contain and what response those molecules are supposed to trigger in a bass nose, mouth and therefore the bass brain. So let's start by looking up the nose of a bass. Bass have left and right nostrils just above their mouths. There are two openings in each nostril - a separate entrance and exit hole for water-borne scents to flow right through. Some studies have also suggested that bass have scent and taste receptors inside and even outside their mouths. Regardless of where they are located, each receptor cell resembles a tiny pit or cavity, each with its own little pathway leading to the brain. Receptor cells come in all different sizes and types. Some are triggered only by scents, others in and around the mouth are triggered only by tastes. Some receptor cells are only triggered by molecules of odorless, tasteless chemicals such as sex hormones during mating, or fear or shock pheromones given off by frightened or injured creatures. A spawning male's milt cells even have such receptors on it, and use them to detect and swim towards chemicals emitted into the water by the female's eggs, thereby finding and fertilizing them. In the nose or mouth, the receptor cells only send scent messages to the brain if the correct size and type of water-borne molecule fits correctly into the receptor cell cavity. If a scent molecule is not the right size or type to fit properly into a particular receptor cell cavity, then no message gets fired to the brain. Using a pass/fail kind of approach, let's assume for this article that a bass will take either positive or negative actions based on how its brain interprets the messages that the receptor cells are firing at it about the molecules being detected on your lures.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 05:29 PM   #39
ryan7261
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via ICQ to ryan7261

Mask the Negatives. Some studies have suggested that bass are turned off if they detect sun block lotions, bug repellents, tobacco, household detergents, motor oils, fuels, and other unnatural chemicals that may be on your hands, and get transferred onto your line and lure when you touch them. Now, I will occasionally do the dishes for my wife, help with the baby's laundry, change the oil in the car, slather on the sunscreen, the bug juice, and enjoy a cigarette out on the water. So before you even start to fish, just soap it up. Just keep a bar of Ivory soap on the boat. It is 99.44% pure, no added perfumes, and it floats if you drop it. Just don't bend over if you can't trust your fishing partner. Even still, sometimes when fishing is slow, I can't help but think about all these bad smells piled up against me, and my hands start to sweat. This only make matters worse because some studies have also suggested that some fish species are repelled by L-Serine, a tasteless, odorless chemical found in the skin oils of humans and mammals. If these studies are true, then fish attractants can help us by masking the negatives. That is, some of the oily molecules in fish attractants will occlude (cover up) or adhere to the negative molecules you left on your lure. The whole molecular mozilla may be too big to fit into a scent receptor cavity in the fish's nostril. No molecule in the receptor cell? No message to the brain? Voila! The fish smells nothing. No sunscreen, no bug spray, no sweaty palms. So this is the first reason suggested for using fish attractants - because they may neutralize some unwanted, potentially negative scents.

Tie It On and Apply Dry. I like to apply attractants to dry lures right after tying them to the line. First, I just handled the lure pretty good, so the natural oils in the attracant may mask any negative scents transferered onto the lure from my hands. Second, I think a dry lure soaks up and gets coated with attractants better than a lure that has already soaked up water. If the lure has feathers, hair, a fiberguard, a skirt, a screwed-in treble hook holder plate - anything else that is porous, fibrous, or has little crevices - then that's where I apply the attractant, not to a smooth plastic or metal surface on the lure. I really don't reapply the attractant all that often.

Do they Smell It or Taste It? Many anglers believe that motion, shape, noise, and water displacement are the primary stimuli that cause a bass to strike a lure. To me, motion is the key. Fish eyes and lateral lines become fixated on the sight and feel of living motion - or the illusion thereof in lures. The value of fish attractant formulas is not so much that bass detect them from afar, and come running to find the source of such a delicious mystery aroma. Sure, maybe that happens some times, but the majority of times a bass is initially alerted to a motion, a shape, a noise or water displacement, and then sight usually becomes the dominant sense used to close the distance to its quarry and to commit itself to striking. Upon striking, which an angler often does not feel, the scent and taste of the attractant will cause the fish to hold the lure in its mouth longer, rather than taste an unadulterated DEET, PVC plastic and L-Serine cocktail and spit it out. So this is the second reason suggested for using fish attractants - because they may provide an angler with more time - a few seconds more to realize a fish is holding the lure in it's mouth and to set the hook.

What's in 'em? The active ingregients in most fish attractants are oils extracted from shad, crayfish, baitfish, worms and/or other water-oriented creatures. Active ingredients is some attractants may also partially or completely include extracts of garlic, anise, other plants, fruits, or seeds. Some are also laced with odorless, tasteless compounds of enzymes, hormones and pheromones that the manufacturer suggests may trigger a feeding response or other type of biological response in bass. Often, the materials used to manufacture fish attractants are the by-products or left-overs of some other product manufacturing process, like making fish meal or cat food for instance. These by-products are often pressed or otherwise further processed to extract the oils and compounds to be used in the fish attractants. The extracted oils contain natural protein and amino acid particles. These active ingredients are often mixed with a heavier, thicker inert base oil or gel that provides for better, longer-lasting underwater adhesion to plastic or metal lure surfaces. The fish oils, protein and amino acid particles are lighter and will separate out of the inert base and disperse into the water, mostly within a few minutes of application. Being lighter than water, the released oils will head straight for the surface of the water. Think of the oil molecules as if they were helium balloons. As they separate from the base oil or gel, they don't linger around, but head straight for the ozone layer.

Robby.
ryan7261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-05, 07:12 PM   #40
spinnerb8

I like using Yum and Bang....I wanna try out the Lunker Sauce,Megastrike and Kick-n-Bass stuff.I hear Jack's Juice is good stuff also.I also have some garlic flavored cooking spray that seems to work!
As for WD 40,a lot of the saltwater guys here soak squid and other bait in it.I believe its made with mennhaden oil,so I guess it would be a pretty good attractant.Doesn't seem to environmentally sound,though ???
Old 01-24-05, 07:31 PM   #41
Rob Mak
BassFishin.Com Member

i have used pure mehaden oil before. trust me spinner this stuff is potent. 1 drop of oil on the water makes a slick the size of a bass boat -try this with bang- i normally use it as a cat fish lure but it works with bass -plus you can buy it in any size container from pint to 55 gallon drum.

zooker

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

US ARMY

Rochester, New York
Rob Mak is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.