Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-08, 04:17 PM   #26
Fish2win
BassFishin.Com Active Member

C rig you must have drawn some of the same guys I have. And the ramp thing. There are idiots everywhere. Fish2win
Old 04-03-08, 05:32 PM   #27
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
here are some of mine, lets here some of everyone elses:

1. clueless people that back the boat down the ramp and then get the boat ready to launch.

2. when we launch our boat and i need to pick my partner up at the courtesy dock but it's blocked by some jackass who just holds his boat on the dock
ok i amit i have had to back the boat down the ramp still strapped up. thats cause the straps where frozen solid and i could not get the plug in because of ice..

hands the down dumbest thing i have ever personally witnessed was. while we were loading my buddy's bass boat at one of the busiest ramps on lake falls in august.. a moron in a ski barge cut him off and tried to power load his pos barge on a 21 foot champion trailer. he actually sheared his drive shaft when the prop hit the cross member..my buddy hooked to him dragged him 1/2 way across the lake and left him WAY off the bank..

i had to pull up to see the damage.. the trailer had to be replaced it was that thrashed..

zooker
Old 04-03-08, 05:37 PM   #28
bamabassman

did the guy replace the trailer? and he should have been sunk out there i think.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-08, 05:43 PM   #29
zooker

yeah we got his insurance to pay up..

had to haul the trailer 30 miles up the interstate. could not control the boat/trailer at more than 50 mph. it was THAT thrashed.. it was running ummm mostly in the lane -if you can claim the shoulder as the lane-

zooker
Old 04-04-08, 12:10 AM   #30
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

#1 is people not prepping their boats properly before launching. On the lake at my house there is only one ramp and it is down a narrow channel with no dock, etc. I understand if you are having problems or are new to the whole thing, but at least when I offer to help you, let me! I'm no expert but I can get help get you going and out of the way.
#2 I realize that ski boats and jet skis have rights to be on the water, but they don't need to be taking hole shots 30' from my bow or driving wildly within casting distance of me.
Most of the other minor ones have been listed above. I sure wish people would use some common sense and courtesy out there.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 04:14 AM   #31
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I've posted about my first one before: People misidentifying fish. A guy kept catching smallies (in a spot I fished all the time) and putting them on a stringer. We were on Lake Michigan in Winthrop Harbor, IL, where the minimum size to keep is 21 inches and you can keep one. He had at least 8, all undersized. I told him about the rules and that the DNR was often there doing surveys and handing out tickets. He claimed they were rock bass. I went home and got the regulations book, which had clear pictures of each fish. He still kept them and was a total jerk about it.

My second one is guys yelling at their kids while fishing. Telling them to be quiet so they don't scare the fish. I say "Actually, 99% of airborne noise is deflected off the water's surface." They just want their kids to shut up. I've seen guys screaming mad about their kids tangles and just bringing everyone home. The reason this really bothers me is because my father told me how my drunk grandfather used to treat him this way and he grew up with no desire to fish. That drunk once got so jealous of my dad catching a cat bigger than any he ever caught that he beat the tar out of him.

And my last one is garbage. People leaving all kinds of fishing tackle packages, aluminum cans, plastic bottles, glass bottles, and... well you've seen it all. This really bothered me at a public fishing pond where there were garbage cans every 100 ft. or so. Bobbers and fishing line that I snag and pull up a couple split shots and a rusty little hook don't count, since the angler obviously got snagged.
Old 04-04-08, 10:34 AM   #32
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr. View Post
My second one is guys yelling at their kids while fishing. Telling them to be quiet so they don't scare the fish. I say "Actually, 99% of airborne noise is deflected off the water's surface." They just want their kids to shut up. I've seen guys screaming mad about their kids tangles and just bringing everyone home. The reason this really bothers me is because my father told me how my drunk grandfather used to treat him this way and he grew up with no desire to fish. That drunk once got so jealous of my dad catching a cat bigger than any he ever caught that he beat the tar out of him.

No wonder more children aren't introduced to fishing. I'm glad my father gave me this opportunity....

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-08, 03:20 PM   #33
carolina-rig-01

me too, i have seen a lot of impatient dads and it really pisses me off. when i take my niece perch jerking i won't even try to fish. i just plan on spending time retying or casting for her or whatever.
Old 04-04-08, 03:28 PM   #34
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Another thing that really tee's me off is the boneheads who buy $40k bass boats & go to 50+ boat tourneys and think that they aren't going to get scratched...

Last year I had a guy with a spankin' new Triton tied off behind me and I was nice enough to throw life jackets on both back corners to keep the bumping damage to a minimum...anyhow I'm trying to get my rods ready and he's yellin' at my bro about my boat hitting his and how it's only the second time he's ever had it in the water..HELLO yours is hitting mine too..and by the way there's not much I can do about 3 foot swells...this guy wasn't even nice about it..there's constructive ways to approach difficult situations and you're going to get a lot more support from me by being nice than being a DICK...I honestly thought we were going to throw down right there...the more I think about it the more I wish we had...in the end I looked the guy right in the face and said I'm sorry I gave you your first scratch, but trust me you're going to have many more.. so get over it
Old 04-04-08, 04:12 PM   #35
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Krueger, Jr. View Post

And my last one is garbage. People leaving all kinds of fishing tackle packages, aluminum cans, plastic bottles, glass bottles, and... well you've seen it all. This really bothered me at a public fishing pond where there were garbage cans every 100 ft. or so. Bobbers and fishing line that I snag and pull up a couple split shots and a rusty little hook don't count, since the angler obviously got snagged.
My grandpa and Grandmother both fished, therefore my dad did and all they of them helped teach me. I'm glad I grew up fishing, and I have something worth while to do in my spare time instead playing video games or doing drugs.

I agree with the garbage thing as well. We were fishing at a local reservoir and some guy threw and empty bag of worms TOWARDS the trash, and walked away after he watched it hit the ground. It prompty blew into the reservoir and I fished it out befor eit got too far away and I threw it away. And these people wonder why they put a no trespassing sign up at this reservoir....

BB
Old 04-04-08, 04:20 PM   #36
Buzz Wing

What were you doing there then!?!?!

-Buzz
Old 04-04-08, 07:47 PM   #37
BigBassin144

They let people fish, and they will continue to as long as we keep it clean and be respectful.

BB
Old 04-05-08, 08:15 AM   #38
DOUGER
BassFishin.Com Member

I am a "non-boater" but I am willing to be converted. just give me the word and I will be waiting at the end of the driveway with gear in hand! I promise to only bring two rods and a tackle box, I'll pay for the gas too!

Any takers? ANYONE?!?!
Old 04-05-08, 09:54 AM   #39
BigBassin144

Doug, maybe we can get together and fish sometime. We'd like to give Alum Creek a try. (especially for Musky) We're getting our boat tomarrow and I can't wait to take it out hopefully next weekend.

BB
Old 04-05-08, 02:43 PM   #40
bamabassman

douger... call greyhound, trailway, or who ever you want. come to my house, and bring the younguns too. i got plenty of room on either the bass (20footer) or the pontoon another 20 footer. and bring all the rods you need. ifn you aint got no more than 2, i got some for the kids. you are welcome here to fish with me anytime. a man willing to take his kids fishing is MORE than welcome in my boat. and yes you can pay for the gas, hahaha. i don't use much trolling. hahaha. but no beer or alchol, just soft drinks. oh.... you buy dinner, ok? i got enough beds for your family. so bring the wife and she and mine can go shopping. cool?
Old 04-05-08, 02:50 PM   #41
bamabassman

and patrick, sorry about your grandfather. really sad. my father is a great dad, friend, teacher. he got me and my brother started in fishing, hunting, and sports. one thing i REALLY hate is a father who doesn't take the time to TEACH their children things. see we (my wife and i) could not have kids. and we are soooo sick of seeing things like what i stated. if you don't think that you have the time to spend with your children, don't have any. if you feel that they are in your way of having more "things" or living a better life, give them to someone who does. sorry... still touchy after 18 years. i'll stop now. didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Old 04-05-08, 06:10 PM   #42
DOUGER
BassFishin.Com Member

Bassin'....YOU'RE ON! I got a buddy that fishes Alum all the time so he knows his way around.

Bama, if we ever find the time to head south I will be all over it. I don't drink anymore, not by decision I just don't find it all that fun. Each one of the kids has their own pole and so does the wife, I have five for me and extra reels. I got the gas and dinner, heck we will grill up some fish we catch!

I too think teaching your kids to fish is one of the best things you can do for them, it is quality time spent together that they will remember for a lifetime and it also gives them a hobby to keep them busy and away from drugs and alcohol and hopefully from having their own kids at too young of an age.

I will more than happily jump on your soap box with you and proclaim the virtues of teaching children to fish! =-)
Old 04-05-08, 06:56 PM   #43
Jackl

LILMOOSE,
They don't have to be 15, they come in all ages. I just usually look at them real seriously and say "Gee Whiz, Mr. Wizard, you should write a book"!
As far as all the tackle they own, I leave both of my back compartments empty for thier gear, and have hold down straps across the back of my boat for thier 15 or 20 rods. If they step on them and break the tip off of one, TOUGH TITTY! Any gear left on the seat or the step pad between the seat gets kicked on the floor and stepped on when they are not looking. I tell them up front that if they hook a crankbait in my upholstry, I fully expect them to pay to reupholster my boat seat. I do not expect them to chip in on boat gas, because I don't run up and down the lake, I spend most of my time on the TM. I do expect them to pay for half the vehicle gas to get to the lake. Some guys even pay for all the vehicle gas because I have furnishd the boat, tow vehicle, boat gas, coffee, drinking water, beer and lunch. If they don't offer to pay for anything, I inform them that they are buying dinner, and I order a damn expesive steak! For the most part, most guys want to pay thier fair share to show thier gratitude.

JackL

Last edited by Jackl; 04-05-08 at 07:04 PM.
Jackl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-08, 08:40 PM   #44
Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackl View Post
LILMOOSE,
They don't have to be 15, they come in all ages. I just usually look at them real seriously and say "Gee Whiz, Mr. Wizard, you should write a book"!
As far as all the tackle they own, I leave both of my back compartments empty for thier gear, and have hold down straps across the back of my boat for thier 15 or 20 rods. If they step on them and break the tip off of one, TOUGH TITTY! Any gear left on the seat or the step pad between the seat gets kicked on the floor and stepped on when they are not looking. I tell them up front that if they hook a crankbait in my upholstry, I fully expect them to pay to reupholster my boat seat. I do not expect them to chip in on boat gas, because I don't run up and down the lake, I spend most of my time on the TM. I do expect them to pay for half the vehicle gas to get to the lake. Some guys even pay for all the vehicle gas because I have furnishd the boat, tow vehicle, boat gas, coffee, drinking water, beer and lunch. If they don't offer to pay for anything, I inform them that they are buying dinner, and I order a damn expesive steak! For the most part, most guys want to pay thier fair share to show thier gratitude.

JackL
Fair enough to me. I'd do the same. By the way, what kinda boat ya got?

-Buzz
Old 04-06-08, 08:04 PM   #45
bassnman30

The lower the boat is in the water, then the bigger wake that it makes.
In other words when you see a bass boat flying by, he won't necc. throw that big of a wake. However, when you see a big cabin cruiser just "bundling" by then the wake will be much bigger.
Old 04-06-08, 08:20 PM   #46
Buzz Wing

And this has to do with.?.?.?.?.?

-Buzz
Old 04-06-08, 09:47 PM   #47
bamabassman

well i had a peeve moment today guys. there i was ready to load up and go home, when the fella in front of starts to back down. now bear in mind there are 2 of them and 1 of me. they get the trailer backed in, load the boat, now everything is fine right? wrong. the truck is suddenly stopped running. and my boat is in the water, at the dock, running. i am in my truck, motor running. waiting to back down. then 2 more boats show up at the dock. BOTH boats have 2 people in them. they unload 1 person each. the original truck in the water with the boat loaded is STILL not running. the other guys are looking at ME, saying that i should back down and load. THERE IS ONLY ROOM FOR 1 BOAT TO LOAD OR UNLOAD AT A TIME. after 20 min the guys get there truck to run and pull out. then the other guys are trying to load in front of me. mannnnn, i am telling you i almost went postal. told them if they were in such a hurry, they could help me and i would be outa their way in 5 seconds, flat. but no one even offers. sooo... i took my sweet a$$ time. yessiree i surely did. instead of 5 mins to load i took 15 mins. so remember guys, if you see someone by theirself, offer to help. that is what i do. even if there are 2 of them. and i said to each and every one of them "hope ya'll had a great time out there today, i did". hahaha. kill em with kindness.
Old 04-07-08, 09:37 AM   #48
MississippiBoy

Bama, in that situation, I think my truck would've suddenly had a major fuel pump problem just as I got the trailer in the water, requiring at least 20-30 minutes worth of standing around scratching my head. Then maybe I'd have to call a buddy to come from work to tow me out. That's another 15-20 minutes right there. Then the boat wouldn't be on the trailer straight...well, you see where I'm going with this...
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-08, 05:58 PM   #49
bamabassman

hahaha, thought about that for real mississippiboy. wouldn't take longer if i called you? now that would have been funny. hahahaha. would take you a coupleof days right? ahahahaha.
Old 04-07-08, 07:01 PM   #50
MississippiBoy

At least till the weekend, bama. Plus, I'd have to find somebody to work for me this weekend. But to help out a buddy, I'm there.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.