Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 07-25-10, 10:27 PM   #1
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Water pressure gauge

My water pressure gauge on my boat doesn't work at the moment. Before I start monkeying around with motor height, I need to get it going. I blew through the tube after I'd disconnected it from the engine and from the gauge, so it's clear. When it was still hooked to the gauge, I couldn't make the gauge move by blowing into it, but I'm not sure a person could put enough pressure on it to register. I also unscrewed the fitting from the left head on the engine and looked inside, didn't see any obstructions or anything.
It seems to be a fairly straightforward system...the water pump pushes water up to the engine, which increases air pressure in the tube, which moves the gauge. There are a couple of wires connected to the gauge, but I believe they're just for the backlight, so power/no power shouldn't affect the gauge reading, should it?
Am I missing something, or should I maybe just replace the gauge and see what happens?
Old 07-25-10, 11:01 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i say replace the gauge daniel. i am going to replace every gauge i have over time. saves a lot of headaches in the end i think.
Old 07-25-10, 11:46 PM   #3
XIntel007
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Replace the gauge. If you are in a pinch you can substitute a cheap oil pressure gauge from an auto parts place. It will work but the readings will be a little high (I think).
XIntel007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 03:20 PM   #4
skeeter1804

You should be able to blow into it and make it move. Sounds like a bad gauge to me. Unhook the line with the engine running and see if you have good water flow.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 04:34 PM   #5
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Mississippi,

Is the gauge stuck in the 0 position or is it stuck at the opposite end... if it's the opposite end.. 9 times out of 10 it means the gauge is bad..I have replaced a few in my day and both were stuck as if they were reading wide open.
Old 07-27-10, 04:37 PM   #6
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter1804 View Post
You should be able to blow into it and make it move. Sounds like a bad gauge to me. Unhook the line with the engine running and see if you have good water flow.
That's an idea. I can do that on muffs in the yard this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
Mississippi,

Is the gauge stuck in the 0 position or is it stuck at the opposite end... if it's the opposite end.. 9 times out of 10 it means the gauge is bad..I have replaced a few in my day and both were stuck as if they were reading wide open.
It stays at zero, doesn't even twitch at all.
Old 08-04-10, 10:41 PM   #7
MississippiBoy

Ok, got a new gauge in today, tried it with the muffs on in the yard, no luck. Also, I ran the motor with the tube disconnected from the gauge, and didn't get any water out of it. I could feel a little air coming out, but not much. I took the fitting on the motor off and ran it, and didn't get any water out of it, either. But after I turned off the motor and was looking at it scratching my head, I could see just a little bit of steam coming out of the hole where the fitting was.
I'm now officially at a loss. Any ideas?
Old 08-04-10, 10:42 PM   #8
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

guessing here daniel, but could it be clogged?
Old 08-04-10, 11:13 PM   #9
MississippiBoy

I'm guessing that may be true, John...I just don't know what to do about it. Do I take a coat hanger or something and try to poke around in there to break it up, or does it involve major disassembly of the engine? Yikes...don't want to think about that...
Old 08-05-10, 07:52 AM   #10
XIntel007

It sounds like your impeller is not pushing water up. You didn't say what kind of engine it was. On my old Johnson and my new (to me) Yamaha there is a single outlet for the water pressure gauge on one head. On the other head there is a brass plug which you can remove, then install the right fittings and hook up a garden hose to it to see if you get water out the other head. If you don't then it is probably blocked.
Old 08-05-10, 05:49 PM   #11
MississippiBoy

Sorry, it's a 1995 200 hp Yamaha Pro-V. The water pressure outlet is on top of the left (if you're looking at it from the back) head. A guy I just talked to said that there's probably a fitting down lower on the engine that I can screw a hose straight into to flush the motor. I might get out there tonight and see if that's true...if so, I'll try putting enough pressure in it to maybe free up any corrosion or whatever's blocking it.
Old 08-05-10, 10:49 PM   #12
XIntel007

I have the 225 Hp 2000 model Yamaha. The hose fitting the guy is probably talking about is intended to flush your lower housing unit. I don't think it does anything for the block but try it out and let me know if it flushes the block. every time I have used it I see crap come out of the lower end.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.