Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups

Old 09-08-12, 02:59 PM   #1
maxwell.riddle
BassFishin.Com Member

Default engine keeps dying on me

so ill get to the lake and launch the boat, runs good in the beginning. but goin down the lake the engine starts sounding funny, like its missing. then it starts losing power. and eventually die on me. i let it sit, take off the cover and wiggle the spark plug wires. try to start it and it wont start. only way i get it to start is by putting it in neutral and revving up the engine while starting it at the same time. but when i pull back the throttle to put it in gear, it dies. i end up putting it in gear fast enough and giving it gas to get the boat moving. but barely moves. and if i give it too much throttle it would die. so im putting to the ramp to get it on the trailer and it all of a sudden slowly and gradually starts running right.

i dont know what it is. i took the boat to someone and they checked spark and compression and everything and they tuned up the carbs and timing and everything to factory specs. havent replaced anything like spark plugs or anything.so i dont know what it is and need some help. thanks.
maxwell.riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 05:08 PM   #2
OkobojiEagle
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like to eliminate the simplest possibilities first... fuel filter?

oe
OkobojiEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 05:42 PM   #3
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

sounds fuel related...
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-12, 06:35 PM   #4
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

carb, injectors,fuel line, fuel filter, water in fuel, good places to start. then plugs, plugs wires.
Old 09-08-12, 10:14 PM   #5
skeeter1804

Year, make? Any alarms? I'd guess fuel pump or collapsed fuel line.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-12, 11:27 AM   #6
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Fuel,fuel lines,squeeze bulb,grit in carb jets,fire as in plugs and wiring or any of the parts that make it fire long list(expensive),replace any hard lines or squeeze bulb same if super soft,bulb should be hard after being pumped and ran a bit,shouldnt have to squeeze to restart.Long list but eventually one finds it.Blue stayble in gas helps out the gas and carbs.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-12, 04:43 PM   #7
Rebbasser

I agree it sounds fuel related. A simple possible solution is to add some Sea Foam to the gas. It will clean everything out and get any gunk out of the fuel system.

Also, be sure to use Stabill ethanol treatment or something similar when you gas up. Ethanol and outboards are not a good mix, and now you can't hardly find gas that is not 10-15% ethanol. I use Stabill and added a fuel/water separator to the fuel system to help prevent any damage.
Old 09-09-12, 10:57 PM   #8
flfireman

Mine was doing the same at start up and for the first few minutes of running. Fuel lines were clogged up with the inner liner. ethanol ate up the liner, so I was only getting a small portion of required fuel in. Pull the fuel lines and run a pipe cleaner or 9mm snake cleaner in it, you will be surprised on what comes out.
Old 09-10-12, 12:00 PM   #9
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
Mine was doing the same at start up and for the first few minutes of running. Fuel lines were clogged up with the inner liner. ethanol ate up the liner, so I was only getting a small portion of required fuel in. Pull the fuel lines and run a pipe cleaner or 9mm snake cleaner in it, you will be surprised on what comes out.
That is what I was thinking. I would look at replacing all fuel lines. Our boat is an '08 and has the updated fuel lines in it. If you have an older one, I would replace your fuel lines.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-12, 07:01 PM   #10
maxwell.riddle
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIbasser View Post
That is what I was thinking. I would look at replacing all fuel lines. Our boat is an '08 and has the updated fuel lines in it. If you have an older one, I would replace your fuel lines.
so are there special fuel lines to use or can i go down to homedepot and get some rubber tubing?
Old 09-10-12, 07:22 PM   #11
bamabassman

gas will eat up regular rubber hoses. go to a marine store, they got what oyu need pal.
Old 09-10-12, 10:12 PM   #12
champman

Sure does sound like fuel line trouble to me also, max. I would and did replace all the fuel lines. Bought mine at the auto part store, cheaper than a marine store. Make sure all of the connections are tight. If it sucks air it wont suck fuel. You wrote that it started to run better on the trailer at the ramp. I wonder if your fuel tank pick up is sticking or damaged not allowing fuel to be drawn up on plain but does at an angle such as the boat ramp. Hope you find it.
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-12, 03:27 PM   #13
maxwell.riddle
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champman View Post
Sure does sound like fuel line trouble to me also, max. I would and did replace all the fuel lines. Bought mine at the auto part store, cheaper than a marine store. Make sure all of the connections are tight. If it sucks air it wont suck fuel. You wrote that it started to run better on the trailer at the ramp. I wonder if your fuel tank pick up is sticking or damaged not allowing fuel to be drawn up on plain but does at an angle such as the boat ramp. Hope you find it.
hey champman, what auto parts store, autozone?
Old 09-11-12, 06:34 PM   #14
nobass

any one i would call around they now make hose for ethyanol gas suppose not to break down as quick. i would use that if you can fine it
Old 09-14-12, 05:36 PM   #15
flfireman

all hoses will break down with this crap. the new hoses will just last longer.
Old 09-26-12, 08:12 PM   #16
champman

I bought my fuel lines at NAPA. a buck or so a foot. I replaced all the fuel and water lines a few years after i bought the boat, about 10 years ago, then replaced them again last year. Never had a problem .
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-12, 01:20 PM   #17
F16 1UB

Default Same thing on mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
My 175 Opti would idle & die. Took it into the shop and they showed me the inner liner of the fuel hose. It almost "looked like" clear plastic. The gal at the service desk took her finger nail and scraped a small piece out. Chg'd line & instld fuel filter. Done Deal
F16 1UB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.