Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-06, 10:15 AM   #1
billmid
BassFishin.Com Member

Default looking for tips to catch pickerel

what to know how to catch pickerel like what kind of lures do i use
billmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 11:36 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Chain pickerel are typically a shallow water species that live primarily in and around weedbeds primarily in lakes and ponds. Chain pickerel tend to inhabit the same waters as largemouth bass and follow a similar diet. They are rather agressive and feed frequently due to a fast metabolism.

I typically encounter them while fishing shallow, weedy water (usually for bass). Small spinnerbaits, soft plastics, shallow crank baits, jerkbaits, etc have pretty much all caught me pickerel. Rarely have I caught them in water much over five feet deep and/or away from cover. Find a pond that is overrun with them, and get used to fishing for them there and slowly work into more difficult waters. Be forewarned though, pickerel are agressive and have tons of sharp little teeth. If you're fishing for them with soft plastics, you're going to go through a ton of them because they get absolutely shreded.

Most people don't fish for pickerel, though, but rather catch them from time to time while fishing for largemouth. They inhabit similar waters and feed similarly. You're probably going to catch a combination of chain pickerel and small largemouth bass due to the waters you're fishing and the lure's you're using. Just generally pay attention to the feeding habits of each and you'll pick up a lot. Take a notebook with you and simply write down information about your trip, water temp/color, air temp, time of day, weather, and lures techniques used and how successful they were along with where on the body of water they were being applied. The more information you can catalog and learn from the better. It's good to talk to people and learn that way, but it's even better to build your own catalog of information because then you learn on your own and build confidence in lures and techniques.

Good luck with the pickerel fishing. Let me know how that goes for you. If you have any questions, especially in regard to specific techniques or strategies, feel totally free to ask.

thanks for asking and good luck!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 03:37 PM   #3
Sluggo Man
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Seriously, largemouth bass and pickerel differ only in name and appearance. They're both ambush hunters, will eat just about anything they can, and like logs, weeds, etc.

As JB wisely noted, be aware of their teeth. Do NOT try to lip one, or you shall receive a nasty cut. Wet your hand, and then grab them right behind the gills. They are a slippery fish and akward to hold, but right behind the gill is your best bet.

Good luck!
Sluggo Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-06, 12:18 PM   #4
Gunny BBS
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo Man
Wet your hand, and then grab them right behind the gills.
Then whack them sucker in the head with a small club!!!! Man I hate those things!! Couldn't believe you really wanted to catch them trash fish! They are thick in Virginia, and if you do want to catch them JB told you the best to do it. Good Luck!
PRO's Soft~Bait Glue
Cooks Go to Tackle Systems
HeavyCover.com
Gary Yamamoto Cust Baits

Gunny BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 03:44 PM   #5
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I know up in Canada they tend to call walleye "pickerel" also. Are you looking to catch chain pickerel or walleye?
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-06, 07:21 PM   #6
Marty

The chain pickerel will take any lure in existence. If I had to pick one, it would be a spinnerbait by a small margin. Also, don't forget topwaters in addition to all the subsurface lures. Other than that, read JB's post.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 06:34 PM   #7
FlyRod

I like pickerels! I likes 'em dill. I likes 'em schweet. It ain't a picnic without a jar of pickerels!

These ladies can taste my pickerel any time!
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomfr...Fnor_n217.html

Good Ol' FlyRod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-06, 06:49 PM   #8
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

gee whiz fly,
the one in the middle hasn't developed any "lady berries" yet huh
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-06, 08:23 AM   #9
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB
gee whiz fly,
the one in the middle hasn't developed any "lady berries" yet huh
"LADY BERRIES" !!!! That's funnier than ANYTHING I've ever posted! Heeheeheeeeeeee!

ROFLMAO!

F. Rod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 07:24 PM   #10
ROBZILLA

Pickerel in Canada like rocky bottom fast moving water as well as weed beds near drop offs. They like colder water in summer so go deep. they like a lure called a walleye diver, also like jigs with a Mr. twister tail, or a walleye spinner bait (not like bass spinner bait!) Try around dams with rocky bottoms if you have no boat. Trolling along weed bed and drop offs,and weed beds if you have a boat. You will get them for sure.
Old 04-26-06, 07:39 PM   #11
Marty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBZILLA
Pickerel in Canada like rocky bottom fast moving water as well as weed beds near drop offs. They like colder water in summer so go deep. they like a lure called a walleye diver, also like jigs with a Mr. twister tail, or a walleye spinner bait (not like bass spinner bait!) Try around dams with rocky bottoms if you have no boat. Trolling along weed bed and drop offs,and weed beds if you have a boat. You will get them for sure.
I used to use Wally Divers until I started having problems with lips pulling out, but they were extremely effective on smallmouth, walleye and pike, and I'm sure pickerel would readily take them too.

What kind of lure are you calling a "walleye spinnerbait"? An inline spinner, Erie Dearie, or something else?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-06, 09:11 PM   #12
Sluggo Man
BassFishin.Com Active Member

mmmm. Pickerel are generally considered to be a warm-water fish. True, they don't like it super-hot like a bass, but they aren't trout either.

Throughout the summer I catch them in shallow water, but then again, the water temperature only reaches 80 here at most.
Sluggo Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.