Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 02-26-07, 12:21 AM   #26
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It really sucks that they didn't televise the weigh-in live this year. I agree that live coverage of everybody might get boring if they aren't catching fish, but will they show the edited footage soon? Will it not be at 10-12 on a Sunday night?
One question I have is why are the guys wearing PFDs when fishing? I have not tourney fished before so maybe it is the rules or maybe Mustang is just a sponsor. I thought when the big motor is off then you don't need to wear one.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 09:49 AM   #27
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Bender, the rule in most tourneys is that if the big engine is on you must have your life jacket on and the kill switch attached.

Usually, ESPN covers the tourney the following week.

For those not happy with the broadcast, I know it is normal to thrash and rip everything but pre-ESPN there was not nearly as much coverage, just my opinion.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 11:06 PM   #28
3dkicker

I'll agree that live coverage of a fishing tournament is difficult and ESPN proved it last year when they missed Luke Clausen every time he weighed in due to comercials. But this year every show was edited and they even replayed the same crap stories in the Sunday night finals if you missed it (and who was the idiot who thought that 10-12pm was the best time to show it???). How hard could it be to show KVD make 4 or 5 consecutive casts???? What's that take him???? 20 seconds??? And actually explain what he was doing or even have him talk about it??? Don't say they can't do it because 8 to 10 years ago they showed more bass fishing in a 1/2 hour show. In the first 15 minutes of today's shows they may show 5 that's right 5 casts.

Think about it this way....would you watch a two hour NASCAR event if they only showed the lead changes and a couple moves from cars moving up from the back? And just one wreck? And spend the rest of the time showing how difficult is was for Ricky Bobby to grow up in a single parent household or how Ricky Bobby travels with his family to the races? Not showing you pit stops, restarts, etc. Not me, I want to see racing!!! And I WANT to see BASS FISHING!!!!!! Not the crap they showed this weekend.
Old 02-27-07, 11:48 PM   #29
brushhog

Default Horrible job by espn

i watched all the coverage I could find - saw a lot of human interest stuff - marginally interesting - and very little fishing. I don't know who was using what, they didn't show anybody fishing for more than a few casts. My 8 year old is fascinated by fishing and it couldn't hold his attention because of the talking heads and sidebar stories - pretty weak. They definitely aren't going to hook an audience with that kind of effort.

You know in a way fishing is like golf, from a broadcast standpoint - guys speread out - scores always changing, it can't be that much harder to broadcast.
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 10:57 AM   #30
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

It all started when they cancelled some of the better shows on BASS Saturday. I used to think FLW had poor coverage.

The background stories were LAME! KVD is my favorite pro, but I don't care that he was fishing for his buddy. I can't stand Skeet Reese, since his idiot remarks on the greatest angler debate, I can understand Gerald Swindle getting choked up, but when they replayed Skeet crying on KY lake because he might miss his daughter's birth, that was ridiculous (don't fish the tournement then!). The reenactment of Hackney saving his father-in-law, and the story of Steve Kennedy paying his dues. ARGHHH!

That's all stuff they could've covered on Basscenter, had it not been cancelled.
Old 03-04-07, 11:32 AM   #31
Hef

Send a message via Yahoo to Hef

Basscenter got cancelled? I just thought they hadn't started it up yet because the season wasn't underway just yet. Thats going to piss me off.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"
- Gen Patton
Hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 04:25 PM   #32
HOG Ranger

I don't think Basscenter has been cancelled. The new season shows have not started yet.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 10:47 AM   #33
Captmikestarrett

I was dissappointed as well. Wish they covered the final day.

Capt Mike
Old 03-05-07, 11:07 AM   #34
BassinBandit

The only thing I wish they would have done was show the live weigh in on Sunday night. I watched it on the internet but it was going slow and driving me nuts. And why did they have to repeat all the stories everyday. I like KVD and Skeet but I didnt need to see the same stories over and over and over again. I would rather hear about what they are doing to catch fish. Just my opinion.
BassinBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 11:14 AM   #35
thebus71h

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

They're trying to bring more people to fishing. Personally, I like the human interest stuff. Even watching old race tapes, those are some of my favorite parts. I like to find things out about the angler's, what makes them tick. I think them covering the Gerald Swindle ordeal was perfect, because that stuff needs to be shown, it was part of the tournament. I would have loved to see a bigger story on McWilliams, just from where he came from. I think all that stuff is important, and you know what, coming from a racing backround, be thankful of what you get. I know that's not what people want to hear, but it's the truth. Sprint car and midget races that I watch live, and race in, aren't usually televised, and when they are, nobody even knows about it! I can honestly say that if it wasn't for TV, then I sure wouldn't have as big of an interest in the Bassmaster Elite series, or FLW for that matter.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 11:21 AM   #36
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

thank goodness for the outdoor channel, they provide many sprint car races that used to be on espn or speed channel
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 11:23 AM   #37
thebus71h

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
thank goodness for the outdoor channel, they provide many sprint car races that used to be on espn or speed channel
Yeah, and now they've dropped Outdoor Channel. They are all on Speed now. And the schedule somewhat sucks.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 11:41 AM   #38
BassinBandit

I do like the stories but once was enough. They played them all three weigh in shows. It was crazy. You are definitly right about the Swindle thing it was covered great. I would have loved to have live coverage of the full last day weigh in.
BassinBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 06:39 PM   #39
Patrick Krueger, Jr.

Craig Preece of Huntington, WV writes:

First, let me say that I'm a Gerald Swindle fan. Now, were these same rules in effect in an Elite tournament last year when Iaconelli did pretty much the same thing to Larry Nixon on purpose?

Second, if you're a boater, you know that in river systems sometimes you can only run in the river channel and anywhere else can be run through only on plane where less of the boat and lower unit are in the water to stay "safely" away from stumps, rocks and other debris which lay under the water's surface.

And lastly, from the time you see Swindle on the video to the time he gains permission to pass Howell, if he were to have shut the boat down and attempted to drive through slowly, there would have been an even bigger wake and wakes to follow. How safe would BASS consider that to be?

Looking at the video, Swindle was on plane and came around the river bend which caused him to be in this situation in the first place and he made a split-second decision to pass through on plane. The governing body on this water system probably never imagined this much boat traffic (spectators, non-boaters in an event) in this stretch, or it would have been designated a no-wake zone.

If anything at all, I think BASS should have let him weigh in and finish the tournament under protest since they let him fish until weigh-in anyway.

Why weren't the camera and spectator boats addressed for this unfortunate situation? They were in the wrong. According to U.S. Coast Guard Rule 9, "Narrow Channels" (http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navru...s/Rule09.htm):

# A vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway.

# A vessel engaged in fishing shall not impede the passage of any other vessel navigating within a narrow channel or fairway.

# A vessel shall not cross a narrow passage or fairway if such crossing impedes the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within such channel or fairway. The latter vessel may use the sound signal prescribed in Rule 34(d) if in doubt as to the intention of the crossing vessel.

These rules are precise and the BASS rules are vague. I just don't think they stick in Swindle's case.
Old 03-06-07, 05:11 PM   #40
senkosam

When Jerry McKinnis moderated, the info was interesting about where they fished and what they used. Seems that with Zona taking his place, the format has changed to pushing pro fishing for the sake of joining BASS with the dream of winning big bucks. The only thing the broadcast demonstrated is the pro-standard of not giving up when down in the field and that your luck can change an hour before weigh-in. Everything else was a reason to fast-forward 95% of the show. How many times did they show Swindle buzzing through??

Just another show to add to the ones I won't watch - Dance, Roland, Houston and Parker. That leaves Angler's Edge --- for now.
senkosam is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.