Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-25-07, 11:30 PM   #1
seaphantom
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to seaphantom
Default how to catch the big bass

this is sick,

I talked to some folks living on my lake and heard stories of 9 pounders caught on spinnerbaits and jigs, a 13+ pounder on a spinnerbait, big fish caught on buzzbaits, and so forth

I been fishin from dusk til' dawn, using everything ther is and then some noob comes out there and nails a 13 pounder??!

subtract 10 pounds and that'd be the biggest bass I've caught out of this lake

so... I guess what I'm asking is... am I cursed for life or what??

everybody's been saying.... flukes, pig-n-jig, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits

all of these are lures that I always get SKUNKED on, and catch ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ON

how hard can it get? my friend said he'll mount my fish for free too!

Last edited by seaphantom; 03-25-07 at 11:37 PM.
seaphantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-07, 11:40 PM   #2
Super Fluke
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Try swimbaits
Old 03-26-07, 12:06 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

just stay with it.....i won't bother with giving advice on baits to use because every bait will work at certain times. if it were easy to catch big bass then it wouldn't be such a big deal when you did. yeah sometimes some rookie will get lucky and stick a pig, it happens and it's frustrating. just like every deer hunter knows of some snot nosed 11 year old that whacks a 140 inch buck their first year hunting. truthfully i kinda feel sorry for them because they don't know what goes into it. that guy that fishes twice a year and sticks a monster while perch jerkin doesn't just doesn't understand. but the guys who study maps, read about fishing, work their butt of with time on the water, and go home from the lake sick a lot because they got spanked, when it all pays off and the finally hang a toad...these guys will get it, and appreciate how hard it is to earn it. don't give up buddy, stay after it and work for it. if you do it will eventually pay off, i promise!
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 12:13 AM   #4
mymomisbecky

TIME TIME TIME. It seems you just have to put in your time. THink about it this way. I fished 100 days last year, or so. In Iowa, I consider a big bass anything over 4 lbs. I may have caught 20 or so 4lb or bigger all of last year, so thats about 1 in 5 trips. And numerous days were multiples, so 1 in 10 days on average id catch a 4+ lb fish.
It just takes time to find out exactly what bass are doing at a given time, and the big ones as well. For instance, in 45-55 degree temps you need to find spots on the lakes that have easy access to the deeper parts of the lake. Start fishing in 6 ft or so of water in areas that lead to deeper water.
It really just takes time. Im not there yet, I just hope to get there one day.

And more thing. Fish for big fish. period. 2 years ago, I didnt, i fished for quantity and it showed. I can go out most days and catch 20+ bass in an afternoon, but the size may not be there. Or I could go big bass fishing, get 2 bites and catch 1 fish, but its a good one...
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 03:17 AM   #5
WIUbassin

I would have went and asked the noob what he was using and then went and picked up one in 10 different colors! No but seriously staying optimistic is always important to. When I was younger I would start fishing and be totally in tune to the water and try my hardest to catch a bass on every cast. But after an hour or so if I still hadn't caught anything I would just get down, give up, and start to get sloppy. The thing is that you just have to be patient because you never know when that fish will come. Be confident in your skills. Tell you what helps me stay positive. Everyday I go out and get totally skunked or go on forever and fail to catch a lunker, I tell myself, "Its not that I failed fishing to, its that I succeeded in figuring out what doesn't work. I know that phrase is corny but it actually makes me feel better at the end of a long day. Everyday you don't get that lunker use it to your advantage.

Last edited by WIUbassin; 03-26-07 at 11:27 AM.
WIUbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 04:03 AM   #6
ihateforwards

Send a message via AIM to ihateforwards

Listen to WIUbassin, Caronlina-Rig-01, and Super Fluke's advice, and confidence in your bait is one of the key factors. Also, are you sure you're fishing in the right area where all the bass are? Try around various lures and/or live bait in different sections of the lake.
ihateforwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 08:29 AM   #7
FlyRod

[quote=seaphantom;150605]...I been fishin from dusk til' dawn [Quote]

Do you mean "Dawn til' dusk." by any chance?

If not, then part of the problem MAY be that night patterns have not yet begun to emerge. This is not the prime time of the year for night bassin', y'see, at least in most places.
If your work schedule is such that you can only fish "Dusk til' dawn" then I'd recommend that you concentrate on finding the warmest water possible and using SLOW and noisy techniques. My reasoning here is that the bass are, or soon will be, preparing to spawn.
If that is the case, with nest-building in progress and the males attempting to woo the ladies, a slowly fished jig, in black and/or blue, w/rattles and a dab of craw scent, might attract a bite. This may or may not be a feeding strike, perhaps a territorial defense bite instead.
Not knowing what the water clarity is in your venue it's not possible for me to predict at what depth spawning will take place, but it's a fair guess that it will be in the 6-14 foot range. Seek firm bottom at in that range and see what happens.
You might also consider slowrolling, and I mean SLOW, a heavy (3/4-1&1/4 oz) spinnerbait, black or dark blue, with a single colorado blade. Fish it so as to be often bumping bottom as it whirls SLOWLY along. Again, a dab of scent won't hurt.
Lastly, a large soft plastic crawfish imitation, one with a body thick enough to contain a small glass and metal bead rattle, and with some scent, may trigger a strike if slowly retrieved in very short hops and drags. I'd recommend a heavy tungsten weight, up to one ounce, and pegged with a rubber "Peg-it" if at all possible. The tungsten will allow you to better "read" the bottom and detect strikes.
If, in fact, you DID mean "Dawn to dusk" then try the same techniques, lightening the colors as more daylight arrives, especially if the water tends more toward clear. Watermelon, Smoke, Pumpkinseed, etc, might do the trick. Also consider throwing a 5" Senko-type, such as a Wave Worm Tiki Stik, in the colors I mentioned. Rig it Texas style, cast it into a "suspect" area and patiently let it fall and soak for at least a minute before raising it sharply and repeating the fall-n'-soak.
Idea...Try a SUSPENDING jerkbait (Rogue, Rapala Husky Jerk, etc) in the 4-8 foot waters, even at in the darkness. Fish it SlOWLY, with at least a 20-30 second interval between SHORT and sharp jerks. This can be effective in darkness or daylight. You might also try a suspending crankbait, such as a SUSPENDING Norman DD series in the size and depth range appropriate to your situation.

Good luck, be safe, and take pictures!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 06:35 PM   #8
KenDammit
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you hook em in the mouth and reel em in!

Have you seen fish that big come out of the lake? If not I'd say that 13 pounder was more like a 6 pounder or something
KenDammit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 07:05 PM   #9
HOG Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenDammit View Post
Have you seen fish that big come out of the lake? If not I'd say that 13 pounder was more like a 6 pounder or something
Don't listen to all of the tales about how many fish and their weights, most of the time it is bogus info. If you want a chance of a truth talk to the guys at the local bait shops and they will generally steer you in the right direction.

This may be a secret but fishermen lie.
Old 03-26-07, 10:31 PM   #10
bubba bass bigfoot

Be in the right place at the right time.
bubba bass bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 10:53 PM   #11
mack

i like using bigger lures when im after big fish. a biggler lure MIGHT (not always) intimidate the smaller bass. you might start catching bigger fish. this is just what i usually do. stay with it and dont give up. youll start catchin them.
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-07, 10:54 PM   #12
seaphantom

Send a message via AIM to seaphantom

this is a 40 acre lake, nothing major, gets pollution from surrounding road runoff, clarity's about 5-6 ft

lake's full of overstocked bass, where little bass outweigh big ones, if there are any

here in Georgia, the bass are already on the beds, and yes, I meant I fish from "dawn til' dusk" lol, just had a Hank Williams song stuck in my head as I was writing

I got a buddy from Kansas who regularly catches 5lb + bass out of old country ponds and laughs at the fishing here on our pond in Georgia.
Old 03-26-07, 10:58 PM   #13
mack

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaphantom View Post
I got a buddy from Kansas who regularly catches 5lb + bass out of old country ponds and laughs at the fishing here on our pond in Georgia.
every state is different. im sure alot of people laugh at some of the fish i catch lol. im from nj and its very industrialized. ponds with bass are few and far. dont let your friend get you down. BTW- that 13 pound bass was probably a case of people over-estimating the fish. thats a huge fish for a 40 acre lake...
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 08:15 AM   #14
mont_lunker_hunter

I fishing exclusively for big bass. But, you have to have the right mind set because i can go all day without a bite, but when i do get bit, it's a double-digit. I try to find points with steep drops on one side, usually in 8-12' of water. Then i anchor down and fish every inch of it. I sometimes stay in one spot for 3 or 4 hours before i get bit. Oh, and if ur catching tons of short fish, leave that spot, find a spot similar in structure but a few feet deeper. The exception to this would be night fishing or the spawn.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-07, 12:43 PM   #15
bassthumb32

Send a message via AIM to bassthumb32 Send a message via MSN to bassthumb32

Good Advice Lunker Hunter.
Old 03-27-07, 03:58 PM   #16
flbassman

You're probably just cursed. I'd quit, and send me all your stuff. Nah, just keep at it, and if there are big fish in there, you'll eventually get one, or else become a darn good fisherman in the process.....
Old 03-27-07, 06:58 PM   #17
zooker

i have been in pursuit of bass since the early 90's and still can't break 10 pounds.. but it never stopped me from trying..

zooker
Old 03-28-07, 09:35 PM   #18
lizardsrule

Use a shiner or live bluegill.

Lizards
Old 03-28-07, 09:53 PM   #19
commanche

i sat 1 day for 14 hours, yes, 14 hours in 1 spot in lake that i knew had big fish..
i caught him .i was using a crankbait at time..my arms and back were so sore after that i did not fish for 5 days..

secret to big bass is TIME ON WATER, KNOWING WHERE HE MIGHT BE AND SITTING THERE DAY IN ,DAY OUT..
commanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 11:13 AM   #20
Jolly

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION!!
Although you need a lure or bait to catch the fish, the most important element to catching big fish is finding them! Yes, You have to be in the right place at the right time but that right place is usually dependent upon things that big fish require to stay and grow big. These big fish places vary by lake but a few characteristics are always the same: depth, structure and food. Larger fish in you pond are likely to be in the deeper water and deeper structure for most of the year. If the fish are spawning, the bigger fish are likely spawning deeper then the normal dinks; likely greater then 8 feet (I have caught and seen big fish spawning in 15 + feet of water). Therefore, fish deeper and pass up those dinks looking at you from the puddles. Also, these bigger fish need structure. These fish are big because of time, cover and food. They have hidden away from fishermen and predators better then their counterparts thereby making them better hunters and bigger fish. The structure big fish reside in (in my experience) is deeper and allows them a place to easily get food. Deep trees, drop offs, channel bends, deep points, etc; anywhere where a large fish can hide and hunt.

If you really want to catch a big bass then I would find me a place where I know big fish live and fish it extremely thoroughly. Follow mont_lunker_hunter's example and anchor up and fish every inch of that area. If it was me I would fish it with a 1/2 oz blue/black jig, weightless 6" senko, c-rigged 10" worm and a swim bait. You will eventually find a big fish but it could take you several trips. Although I have caught some huge fish, I look at guys like mont_lunker_hunter, lizards and other lunker hunters with awe but not envy. Those guys are purists and are great at what they do and have far more patients then any daycare owner much less me. However, what they do isn't very fun IMO. Those guys work their a$$ off for that one big fish. If you want a big one, then be prepared to wait and hunt.

Sorry for the long post and I hope this helps,

Jolly
Old 03-29-07, 12:10 PM   #21
mont_lunker_hunter

ok, i'll let ya'll in my "secret" bait (atleast it's very rarely used around here). Two words...baby huey.
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 08:58 PM   #22
commanche

jolly, only time that is fact that we agree on is NIGHT FISHING..i caught bass over 6 pds which is huge for pa.at night in 10 inchs of water, yes 10..

i also saw big bass beach themselves at 3 am in morning chasing perch,flop around and wiggle back into water with perch in his big mouth..

i seen bass at night with ducks, little ones in their mouth in 6 inchs of water,seen snakes in their mouths at night..i saw bass one time, beach himself ,splashing and had a 12 inch catfish in its mouth..

scared the heck out of me near the shore as i was half asleep..i could talk forever over 40 years what i saw bass do at night,that is when bigones go into the low water..
Old 04-03-07, 10:23 AM   #23
BubbaLunk
BassFishin.Com Member

I could relate to you in a way, I have been fishing the same private lake for 6 years now, and I kept hearing the stories of these monster fish, I talked to one man that lived on it and he said his neighbor caught a 16.2 lb. bass, did not believe saw the pictures wow, and he tell me how he would go out and catch three or four over four pounds every time he went. This never happened to me and I even fished the special worms that he gave me that supposedly catches them with, then one day I take my roomate and he might fish two days year, and I fish out their twice a week and he brings in a 8.5. Could have threw up, just kept doing what I was doing finally last may I caught a 10.5 out of there, and now it seems like every other time I go I am bring in one that at least five. Confidence, and believing in your skill and equipment is key. And never take the friend that never fishes they will always get lucky
BubbaLunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 05:05 AM   #24
Recon8541

Bubba LOL isnt that always the way of it!! The buddy with the seldom used skills whips up on you!!

The lake I fish is between 25-30 acres, and in the last 2 years has yeilded 12+ fish over 10 lbs, and yes, I know what 10+ looks like, and use a postal scale to measure. I cant even count how many 5+ I have seen....hundreds.

Seaphantom,

Remember it takes only one cast to catch a monster, all we can do as fishermen is to use what we know to be in the right place at the right time with the right bait.

Here are a few suggestions.
1. If you have a bait that catches the smaller fish, use something similar, but larger!!
2. Find similar areas to where small bass are holding, but deeper. If your lake dosent have drop offs etc, and it similar to a cereal bowl in design than remember 6 inches of depth change is significant.
3. Do not limit yourself. Meaning fish several areas, not just where you think the fish will be, let them tell you where they are at.

Good luck and stay with it....that monster is only one cast away!!
Old 04-05-07, 03:53 PM   #25
commanche

florida has real nice bass ..you are very lucky

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.