Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-28-07, 10:53 PM   #1
bobsmitter03
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Going fishing this weekend

I'm going fishing this weekend for the first time this year at my favorite pond that is about 15 acres and its maximum depth is around 6-7 feet. The temps are suppose to be 60 on saturday and 57 on sunday. On both days there is a slight chance of rain. The water clarity is stained. The deepest part of the pond is filled with stumps, sunken timber, and brush. Near that spot there is a pipe that all the rain water from a nearby hill runs off into the pond making the water murky from shore to about 10 yards off shore. There are other spots that only have brush closer to deeper water that i usually caught big ones off of. I plan on using some soft plastic worms, brush hogs, and some jigs.

What would you use in this situation and would it be too early for some topwater lures?
bobsmitter03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 07:08 AM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think a spinnerbait would be a must have lure for this. It's a good early season lure, plus with all that brush you can work it well without hangups. Also provides vibration and flash in the stained water. I'd use a 3/8 or 1/2 oz size in white with gold or silver blades.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 08:29 AM   #3
WIbassfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey, nice to see a fellow Wisconsinite. IMO I'd start out with search baits this time of year (crankbait, spinnerbait, rattle trap, jerkbait, carolina rig, and a J-N-P) to determine the mood of the fish while starting out. I wouldn't worry about topwater at this point in our neck of the woods as it's a low percentage game given the water temps right now. Once you find areas that hold fish and determine their mood you can pick them apart with the brush hawg, senkos, etc. I think if you get one of the infamous, spring flutuations in conditions during your day you may have to go back to search mode OR slow down even more in previously productive areas.
Old 03-29-07, 09:40 AM   #4
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Your pond sounds a lot like one of my favorites - I agree with the previous post about search baits, that's were my strikes come from this time of year. But you never know, be prepared to try a variety of stuff this time of year and fish slowly! Probalby a little early for topwater IMO - but it can't hurt to pack a favorite one and toss a few if things are slow. Good luck and let us know how it went!
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 01:45 PM   #5
Jolly

Yeah, I agree with everyone else. Also might try a crankbait or rattle trap- bumping it into those stumps. Maybe get a reaction strike out of them.

Good Luck,

Jolly
Old 03-29-07, 07:16 PM   #6
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I think a spinnerbait would be a must have lure for this. It's a good early season lure, plus with all that brush you can work it well without hangups. Also provides vibration and flash in the stained water. I'd use a 3/8 or 1/2 oz size in white with gold or silver blades.
agreed!

senko
Old 03-29-07, 11:40 PM   #7
bobsmitter03
BassFishin.Com Member

I picked up a storm sub wart the other day in the bass color and im hoping it will catch me some spawning fish. It only dives to a max of one foot, so it should catch some of the shallow bass. Have any of you ever used this before because usually the only crankbaits I throw are my strike king bleeding crankbaits.

thanks for your input,

Bob
Old 04-03-07, 09:30 PM   #8
bobsmitter03
BassFishin.Com Member

The weather kept me from going fishing this past weekend. There was severe thunderstorms that produced 4 or 5 tornadoes on Saturday and Sunday.

I will be going fishing their for sure this weekend and its going to be tuff. The temperature is suppose to be around 41 and 42 all weekend with a slight chance of rain. I think i'm going to try a PNJ, a brush hog, a shaky head worm, a spinner bait, rattle trap, crankbait, and maybe a floating worm. I'll post you on my results.

Bob
Old 04-07-07, 05:20 PM   #9
hackattack

remember not to throw too many things. If you have a plan on what your going to throw, stick with it. You shouldn't use 50 lures each for 3 casts. Dont limit yourself but dont over do it. Just my two cents.
hackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-07, 05:28 PM   #10
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

Hey! 3 people from wisconsin in one post!
Sounds kind of like my situation last week. I used a Green Pumpkin Yum Wooly Bug rigged on #10 Mono with a 4/0 Hook and a 1/8oz weight. I almost caught a limit. Lost 2.
Those are my tips.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.