Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 05-02-09, 09:12 AM   #26
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well, not to steal this thread, but i got run back home this morning. got out and trolled over to the where the lilly pads start, WHAM! a huge bolt of lighting came across the sky. scared the crap outta me. clean out my pants, cranked up, went straight to the peir, loaded up and here i am. cursing of course, lol. waves of thunderboomers, lighting and downpours are gonna be on throughout the day. maybe tomorrow. ain't stupid, crazy, dumb and no walking around sense....but not stupid. useing lighting rods in a lighting storm ain't fun, hahahahha.

ok, back to our regular programming.
Aw, that's a bummer bama!

I hope this fishing is still gonna be good here, we got a front that just moved in!

Oh! And we also found a dog roaming around, I think I know where he lives though.... we're posting posters around town after break fast!
Old 05-02-09, 01:56 PM   #27
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

In light to moderate rain i have always started with a spinnerbait , andif that bite was not on i would switch to a senko or t-rigged creature bait around the nastiest cover i could find just what works for me .

Jim
Old 05-02-09, 09:32 PM   #28
nofearengineer

I can't really say as to bass fishing in the rain, but I will say apparently it has no effect on yellow perch! One time I was fishing Lake DeSmet in NE Wyoming, and it was fairly lackluster fishing, until a big rainstorm blew in. The yellow perch started hitting like I had never seen and may never see again. We filled up a cooler with probably 200 of them in a little over an hour. (There were six people there, so don't any of you start thinking I take more than my limit! ) We were soaked to the bone, but fried perch helped out a little with that.
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-09, 03:21 AM   #29
B-I-G
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Well I went fishing today (well yesterday since it is 3 in the mornin') ... We got a little wet once or twice but there wasn't really rain, despite the 60%-80% chances that were forecasted... Going out again in a couple hours.... pulled an all-nighter so I could pull my dad out of bed to go drive me.... yesterday I fell asleep and didnt wake until 1:30 so I am fine for now... I'll just sleep early after fishing....
Anyways back to the point... there were 60%-80% chances of rain showers but we only got one drizzle that lasted about a minute or so... I'm going out again and there is a definite chance of showers today but no chance of thunder thankfully... Yesterday, my dad was really hitten em on a Bandit Footloose crankbait in Chartreuse Shad color. I failed to produce any hits with the Bandit 100 series crankbait in bluegill color .... Got a few hits off of a berkley power worm in pumpkinseed but no fish... switched to a YUM lizard in Pumpkin Pepper/Green color and got three nice bass, including my PB. So... It seems like the soft plastics produce a lot for me on overcast/rainy days... but it may be different for other people because my dad was hittin em real good on the crankbait. But I just know that I'm going to start off with a soft plastic lizard tomorrow
Old 05-03-09, 03:31 PM   #30
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

big if ya are getting a lot of short strikes on a worm try using a smaller version of the same worm go from a 7in to a 4inch one for example and that should help your hit to landed fish ratio .

Jim
Old 05-03-09, 06:42 PM   #31
OrygunBasser

Well, the tournament was yesterday and it turned out to be basically a bust!

The night before, it rain very hard, easily a 1/2" in about an hour. It was a warm rain so I didn't really think it would have much effect on the fishing the next morning! WRONG. The fish that were on the beds were gone off the beds and just cruising randomly around and wouldn't hit anything. The conditions in the morning till noon were about as good as it gets, very light wind, just a few showers and it seemed that a jerkbait or spinnerbait would tear them up but to no avail. About 10AM I managed a 3.6 OZ Largy on a small crankbait but that was it. Then about 12:30PM the day came to an abrupt end. The wind all of a sudden came up with 35-40 MPH winds with monsoon type rain and turned the lake unfishable! We just loaded up and quit! I know, I have never done that in my life, but at that point, it was just not worth it! I will eventually find out what the outcome was!

The quitter!!!!!!
Old 05-04-09, 03:08 AM   #32
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Thats too bad, did you try swimbaits? Sounds like a good situation for a 4.5" money minnow or similar.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-09, 10:09 PM   #33
B-I-G

I fished all day in the rain on Sunday... got 7 bass... they were really hittin the lizard... got one on a topwater popper and one on a bandit 200 in spring craw color.
Old 05-04-09, 10:10 PM   #34
B-I-G

It seemed like there were schools of bass... Where I got one hit, I got many others. In other places, it seemed like there wasn't a fish there.
Old 05-04-09, 10:21 PM   #35
bamabassman

sorry orgeeeegun,lol. hey man the rain pounded us here too. it'll get better, i promise ya that pal. better luck next tourny.
Old 05-05-09, 03:37 PM   #36
VinnyH
BassFishin.Com Member

Default A little rain... little fish...

To follow up on my plans: I went out on a NY reservoir on Saturday actually hoping for the steady rain they predicted. Of course it stopped about 2 hours into my 6 hour trip (8am-2pm).
I did catch a couple of 1 1/2 lb largemouth by wood laydowns on a t-rigged black/red 7" Powerworm. I tried a bunch of other stuff but not even a nibble on 5" plastic swimbaits, spinnerbaits or my dark jig w/craw trailer.

Best to All,
VinnyH

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.