Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 02-26-12, 01:07 PM   #26
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Back to the price dimension, I think its great thst some people on here are devout followers of the monkey. It is similarly great that they have an encyclopedic knowledge of all the newest gear. But if you sre learning to baitcast, you dont have to have an expensive reel. Reels have improved a lot in recent years, and I dare say what most of us learned with would cost not too much today. I learned on an antique. The key was not the price of the reel, but having it on the right rod with the correct sized lure.

You could easily learn on a orra, pro max or bps extreme, or about 50 other reels in the 50-75 price range. You could get a combo that is all you need for less than 100.
Old 02-26-12, 01:19 PM   #27
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Back to the price dimension, I think its great thst some people on here are devout followers of the monkey. It is similarly great that they have an encyclopedic knowledge of all the newest gear. But if you sre learning to baitcast, you dont have to have an expensive reel. Reels have improved a lot in recent years, and I dare say what most of us learned with would cost not too much today. I learned on an antique. The key was not the price of the reel, but having it on the right rod with the correct sized lure.

You could easily learn on a orra, pro max or bps extreme, or about 50 other reels in the 50-75 price range. You could get a combo that is all you need for less than 100.

I agree that most of the reels in that price range are probably fine for learning on, but there is another point worth being discussed.

If you purchase a low priced reel and decide that you do like baitcasting reels and want to continue to use them, a low end reel will most likely not provide you with the type of experience over the long haul that you would want. With another 30-40 dollars you can purchase a reel that will make it easier to learn on, and will provide you with good service, also if you decide you want to rid yourself of the reel, one costing a little more is much easier to sell than a low end one in my experience.

Two different schools of thought, in the end you have to do what you feel is right for you.
Old 02-26-12, 04:10 PM   #28
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
I agree that most of the reels in that price range are probably fine for learning on, but there is another point worth being discussed.

If you purchase a low priced reel and decide that you do like baitcasting reels and want to continue to use them, a low end reel will most likely not provide you with the type of experience over the long haul that you would want. With another 30-40 dollars you can purchase a reel that will make it easier to learn on, and will provide you with good service, also if you decide you want to rid yourself of the reel, one costing a little more is much easier to sell than a low end one in my experience.

Two different schools of thought, in the end you have to do what you feel is right for you.
I agree. I don't think that you have to buy the most expensive equipment out there but in my experience, there is a minimum dollar amount to get something of quality. One of my main requirements of a baitcaster is that it have an aluminum frame. I've had too many graphite framed reels that just didn't hold up. A $60 reel is actually quite a bit more expensive if you have to replace it every year.

The link I provided earlier for the Curados at $134 is an example of a great price on a reel that will last many seasons. Daiwa makes the Exceler that comes in at under $100 and many of the BPS reels are excellent values. Abu Garcia offers the Revo S and Shimano makes the Citica, both are budget minded reels that will provide many years of service.

In my opinion, a good $100 - $120 reel is exponentially better than a graphite $60 reel. In the case of some of the BPS reels, you can find an exceptional reel under $100.
Old 02-26-12, 04:55 PM   #29
WTL

In a sense, you guys are assuming that he will subject this reel to a degree of abuse and use that might not happen, given that he has managed to fish to this point with only spinning. I agree that there are certain characteristics I look for, and machined aluminum is at the top, but given what I would call normal use, you could easily use a graphite framed orra for several years.

And if he does decide to get into baitcasters, there will be many. The orra can later be moved to a spare reel. Then he can get a chronach at the start of next season, and have 2.

I am well experienced in blowing my money on good tackle. I use morrums and revo premiers. I am on the record as thinking that if you have to choose, spend money on the reel.

But I hate to see people waste money, pursuing meeting some outside standard of quality that bass are blissfully unaware of. And everytime someone asks a gear related question on here, and I mean this with respect, true respect, I think that people try to talk their freinds up in price almost as if they are salesmen themselves. Perhaps it has to do with what occurs in our own minds as we walk through BPS, we overjustify these purchases to ourselves, and then feel better when every fisherman we know commits the same purchases. Whether or not they need to repeat our "mistakes" or indulgences.

And I also think these indulgences put much needed money in aplace that would be better spent elsewhere. Give me the difference between a 200$ combo and a $100 one, and I will spend the rest on gas, and catch more bass. The best use of money for catching bass is gas and time, not more gear. You can't catch a bass if you are stuck admiring that new combo in your living room.
Old 02-26-12, 05:36 PM   #30
Tavery5

Like I said above, two schools of thought, neither more correct than the other.

I will say this, if you have the extra money to spend on gas and get out on the lake and actually start catching fish, it would be ashame if your equipment failed you.

The difference between a 100 and 200 dollar setup is big. If you split your money equally on rod and reel, with 100 dollars you are probably going to go with a rod like a Berkley Lightning Shock, and one of the plastic framed reels, Abu Silver Max, or a Pinnacle.
With 200 split you can start looking at aluminum framed reels with dual brakes, like the PQ, or the Shimano Citica E, Some of the new Lews reels, for rods you can pick from a large lot of good rods, like the Veritas, Premier, Mojo, Carbonlite, Bucoo.

I agree that either of these setups will catch fish but your in that price range where quality increases quickly with the more money you spend, on the upper end it is less significant , but in that range the difference in big.

I would never suggest anyone spend more on fishing than their budget allows, but I would say research your options and spend as much as you can on quality over quantity.
Old 02-26-12, 06:25 PM   #31
WTL

It is always a shame when tackle failures occur. It is also inevitable, and more likely the more gear your rely on. I notice that despite being stuck in a kayak made at the same factory as municipal garbage cans, my kayak has never failed to run after launching, and as such I have left more than a couple Tritons at the ramp, eating my wake.

But if you have a graphite baitcaster and your assortment of spinning reels, should the graphite reel fail (which normally doesnt happen, frames dont just break, I see graphite frames as being more a indicator that the innards are also plastic, and a lot of times the problems are gradual - not sudden and complete), but should it break, you still have your spinning rods for that day. You are still on the water.

I hate seeing anglers think they have no chance because their tackle didn't cost a lot. The other day I took a freind fishing after that cold front, and we fished for 2 hours,. I used my best tackle, and he used an old stick worm he found lying on the bed of my truck and a hook better suited to shiners. And he caught the larger fish for the day. Good thing I didn't tell him that the gear he was using was not optimal.

All of this fits into my greater philosphy of angling, and you are right Tavery, there are different ways of looking at it and not one is really better than the other (one of the few areas I will condone moral relativism). I am just trying on this board to push back against the emphasis on tournament, competitive, gear centric fishing cause I think that is the more dominated viewpoint espoused online. I mayself participate a little in both worlds. I think the old timey, fishing is an activity for sportsmen who want to have a good time, "take grandpa and go" type attitude is what I remember and what I prefer. And my grandfathers were both fine fishermen, and to think of the garbage tackle they used!
Old 02-26-12, 08:33 PM   #32
nofearengineer

I am in the ironic position that while I am well known for my fishing tackle extravagances, professionally I am usually in the business of trying to figure out "best bang for the buck."

My $70 Silver Max combos, graphite and plastic wonders that they were performed just fine. And thought I wouldn't call them precision instruments, they seemed well-built enough. I caught fish with them and they didn't fall apart. I only sold them and moved on to more expensive tackle because I have the money and like nice things.
Old 02-26-12, 08:35 PM   #33
lilmule

Hmmm I dont own any rods or reels costing 200 dollars own 4 that cost right at 100 bucks,the other 12 cost like 40 bucks at walley world.
I own mostly preused reels,a few i bought new none over 72 dollars and yes I own a lews speed spool,cant help it if you guys overpay.
I dont feel hindered one bit by it,would feel badly for taking money needed for something else if i spent 200-400 on one piece of eq that works no better than a 40-100 dollar one just makes one feel better.Needless to say the 200-400 dollar rod and reel people I dont keep in business as have never bought one and never will.
Even if I came into a few mil ive picked up those 400 dollar rods with lifetime warranties and they felt no better some not as good as a simple rod and or reel.6000c casts a very long ways,and my kistler ,carrot stix or lews reel none of which cost over 100
bucks,new.
Eq is what you make of it,confidence in it is more important,ive got an ugly stick that just loves to worm,and does it even better than my name brand flippin sticks,so ya never know.But paying big bucks for it is not a measurement for success,and just because some pro has a dozen it means little as most likly didnt buy them.
There I tossed in two large cents,now all salespeople with 200-400 dollar rods can go home.
If you have a 17 jewel reel it had better have diamonds or rubies in it for that kind of dollars.
An outfit one thats semi decent can be had for 125 and if one spent about 200 for both a rod and reel be near top of the line for me anyway,not each.And yes some are overpriced and not worth as much as others priced less.

Last edited by lilmule; 02-26-12 at 08:48 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 08:56 PM   #34
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Is it just me, or do these types of discussions always boil down to 2 hardcore sides?

"You get what you pay for" people vs "Kmart sells great gear!" people.

Do we ever find a common ground?

The most expensive equipment I've ever bought...hmmm....Lew's Speed Spool Tournament reel (20 % off). Pflueger Supreme spinning reel at like 20 bucks off.
Fenwick HMGs for 60 bucks. Elite Techs for right around half price....
Point is, I don't break the bank for any fishing gear. Hell, I grocery shop according to what's on sale.

But to make the claim that a $30 rod or reel is as good as a higher priced rod? Ridiculous.
Higher priced equipment isn't comparably made, and given a higher price tag, just to fool the ignorant. I't more expensive because it's made from better materials. And quite often, comes with a hell of a warranty.

We have a few members here who are putting out damm impressive rods.
Maybe we should ask their opinions on this subject?

While I don't feel we need $200 reels on all our $300 rods, I strongly feel that a $50 combo from Walmart is exactly that.

Shopping for great deals on great equipment,
Mallen
Old 02-26-12, 09:39 PM   #35
WTL

Mallen, nobody is claiming a $30 rod is comparable to a $300 rod. This discussion is merely about tradeoffs, and at what point does the quality curve tend to flatten. At that point is probably where you wanna buy most of the time.
Old 02-26-12, 09:53 PM   #36
MallenManson

WTL, I never claimed anyone was saying a $300 rod was comparable to a $30 rod. Don't try to put those words in my mouth. All I said, in a nutshell, is you get what you pay for.
I'm fine with tradeoffs...damm near live my life by that philosophy.

But to run others down for spending money on quality gear, is ridiculous. You even mentioned that you've left Tritons at the ramp while you pull away in your yak.
Why don't you try your yak up here on Lake Michigan? Wjy don't you run from the Big Platte launch to the cove where little Platte drains into it? Hopefully you have someone meet you there to drag your yak out of the water, cuz you'll have nothin left in your tank.
You see everything through one sided glasses, which is exactly why we've had to settle issues through PM more than once.

You always seem to feel the need to enforce your opinions on others. I'm always willing to give mine, but I don't feel it necessary to enforce my opinions.
I felt you were spoiling for an argument from your very first post in this thread.
As usual, you didn't disappoint.
I value your opinion. Don't de-value mine
Old 02-26-12, 10:11 PM   #37
Tavery5

Quote:
In a sense, you guys are assuming that he will subject this reel to a degree of abuse and use that might not happen, given that he has managed to fish to this point with only spinning. I agree that there are certain characteristics I look for, and machined aluminum is at the top, but given what I would call normal use, you could easily use a graphite framed orra for several years.

If you are refering to the Revo Orra baitcast reel, it is an aluminum framed reel with graphite side plates.
Old 02-26-12, 10:25 PM   #38
WTL

Mallen, we are just having a discussion. I dont think anything in this thread qualifies as an arguement in an adversarial sense. We do have different viewpoints, and we have expressed those. I don't think I have devalued your opinion anywhere. I value what you are saying. I see what you are saying. Yes my range is limited in my kayak. I'm not saying its always better, hell there are many days I wish I had a running outboard. I am saying the kayak works, and it has few moving parts, which is a positive.

As for me putting words in your mouth, you said above...
Quote:
But to make the claim that a $30 rod or reel is as good as a higher priced rod? Ridiculous.
I took it that you were saying that that is what we were saying, which it wasn't.

I truly believe we can have a disagreement on here without it degenerating into an argument, and again, I didn't feel like we have an argument here. I really am not sure why you are trying to escalate things here, I wasn't.

-------------------

Tavery, yes, the Abu orra. That is a good technical point about the sideplates being graphite, the orra retails for around $100, so it is right at the price point we were discussing.
Old 02-26-12, 10:34 PM   #39
MallenManson

LMAO WTL!
You're trying to put words into my mouth, to support your argument. Your latest post even pointed out the fact that I didn't say anything to support your argument against me.
And I'm sorry. But where I come from, when people do everything they can, to turn a discussion into an argument....you're not disagreeing. You're starting a pissing match

I run a yak myself. A $480 Ascend FS12T, if it matters. In no way, shape or form, would I EVER try to talk smack because someone else runs a Triton, or any other boat.

You're an argumentative pain in the ***. If you're going to continue voicing your opiniions, by putting others opinions down, just let me know. I'll ignore your posts.
Funny how you get all nice once someone calls your BS out.
Old 02-26-12, 10:41 PM   #40
WTL

Dude, please reread all my posts in the thread. I dont see where I have been so dismissive of anyone. I really think you are the one in a bad mood. I didnt even down triton owners, I pointed out that sometimes expensive gear does fail. That was a point, not a diss.

You really seem to be in the arguing mood.
Old 02-26-12, 10:54 PM   #41
MallenManson

Quote:
Dude, please reread all my posts in the thread. I dont see where I have been so dismissive of anyone. I really think you are the one in a bad mood. I didnt even down triton owners, I pointed out that sometimes expensive gear does fail. That was a point, not a diss.

You really seem to be in the arguing mood.

You know what WTL? You're full of crap. I'm argumentative? I have olny ever had arguments on here 3 times that I remember. 2 were with you.
You flat out, called out, peope who spend good money on good gear,
You flat out, called out, the fact that you have left Triton owners at the ramp with your yak.

Don't try to put this on me. You entered this thread, and this isn't the first, looking to be a dick. You were called out on it, and you're taking the OJ approach. I guarantee you, if we took a poll on who was an ***, you'd be as red as a jr high kid with his pants around his ankles. You are an arrogant bastard who thinks he's all that due to longevity on the boards.

I'm done with your arrogant posts. Don't bother PMing me this time, cuz I won't reply.

Grow up, and realize that others have opinions too
Old 02-26-12, 10:58 PM   #42
kennethdaysale

I think it's fine to like nice stuff. I mean why not? I intend to die with no regrets. I would hate to have all my loved ones gathered around my death bed while listening to me trying to justify the use of mediocre equip. C'mon I don't run recaps on the truck and I ain't gonna use budget gear.
Old 02-26-12, 11:00 PM   #43
WTL

I really have said nothing in this thread to call anybody out. I think you must be mad at me for some other time. I wont bother pming you cause you arent really reading this thread. You would see what you want to see in anything I say.

It truly is almost impossible for me even to offer a contrarian opinion on here anymore.
Old 02-26-12, 11:07 PM   #44
MallenManson

Quote:
I really have said nothing in this thread to call anybody out. I think you must be mad at me for some other time. I wont bother pming you cause you arent really reading this thread. You would see what you want to see in anything I say.

It truly is almost impossible for me even to offer a contrarian opinion on here anymore.

I've read every single word of this thread. I have been mad at you for other things in the past. Seriously mad at leats twice.
Both times you came calling through PM to plead your case.
You're an arrogant ***, and you downgrade anyone who doesn't agree with you.
Feel free to PM me with your thoughts, per the moist recent thread I started.
As every other time we've disagreed, you will once again, be in the minority
Old 02-26-12, 11:16 PM   #45
WatterBoy

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MallenManson View Post
I've read every single word of this thread. I have been mad at you for other things in the past. Seriously mad at leats twice.
Both times you came calling through PM to plead your case.
You're an arrogant ***, and you downgrade anyone who doesn't agree with you.
Feel free to PM me with your thoughts, per the moist recent thread I started.
As every other time we've disagreed, you will once again, be in the minority
If you guys want to continue your back-and-forth that really isn't helping at all with my original questions, I'd really appreciate it if you could find a different way to go about it besides using this thread.

Thank you.

Dean
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-12, 11:19 PM   #46
MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatterBoy View Post
If you guys want to continue your back-and-forth that really isn't helping at all with my original questions, I'd really appreciate it if you could find a different way to go about it besides using this thread.

Thank you.

Dean

Actually, it is helping your thread, since it's keeping it fresh, and at the top of the page

On a side note..and argument in a different thread loses a lot of steam
Old 02-26-12, 11:20 PM   #47
WTL

Sure Dean, sorry fot the hijacking...
Old 02-27-12, 09:20 PM   #48
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

cant we all just get along?

watterboy just get yourself a daiwa baitcaster & be done with it. tacklewarehouse has a powell rod for $99. great reviews on them rods.
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-12, 06:51 PM   #49
dave0943
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you are going to buy Cabela's reels, the Prodigy when on sale is a good reel. One of the best kept secrets in Fishing rods is a Cabela's Fish eagle 2. I bought a combo that was a Prodigy reel and Fish eagle rod a year or two back. Since then I've bought several
Fish Eagle rods. They were 79.99. I have one BP PQ reel matched with a F.E MH 7' Baitcasting rod. Great combo.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 08:31 AM   #50
gysgthard
BassFishin.Com Member

Watterboy
I agree with Boloson Go get a Daiwa I have four of them and love em easy to use and will not empty the wallet.
gysgthard is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.