Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 03-28-07, 09:26 PM   #1
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Spooling Line

What is the best way to spool line onto a spincaster. Anybody got any tricks/tips for getting this right? What knot do you tie to start, How do you keep it tight etc... etc...
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 09:38 PM   #2
thebus71h
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to thebus71h

I know for my baitcasters and spinning reels, I just tie a standard knot, hold it tight, start reeling, and a few turns of the reel, it's ready for me to start spooling quick.

Not sure if it'll work on a spincast or not.
Billy Rowlee #71h
thebus71h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 09:39 PM   #3
ihateforwards

Send a message via AIM to ihateforwards

I would just get the end of the line from the store boughten spool, and use an Arbor Knot, then start reeling away.
ihateforwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 09:44 PM   #4
commanche

i put my spool of line in hot water from sink ,then reeel it on ..this takes kinks out of line going on reel..
commanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 09:48 PM   #5
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well if you are using mono, then the best way is to put the spool in some "WARM", not hot, water. Let is soak and loosen up a little. Then keep tension on the spool, as it is stood upright, through a pencil/screwdriver/stick/line spooling station(the best). To keep tension use your imagination, or buy a line spooling station. Then as you are reeling the line on the reel, keep a rag soaked with either "Reel Magic, or KVD's stuff wrapped around the line, wiping down the line as you spool it. This will help some on the twisting and memory. But to be honest no matter what you do, mono will have memory, and always be something you need to keep a eye on.

Lizards
Old 03-28-07, 09:59 PM   #6
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

had heard the warm water thing with mono, but never done it. What about copolymer? No need to soak that or use that reel magic is there? I got a little rig I 've used before using a weight plate and a spindle from a chair for keeping it tight - don't ask - it works!

Lizards - do you just tie a slip knot?
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 10:24 PM   #7
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushhog View Post
had heard the warm water thing with mono, but never done it. What about copolymer? No need to soak that or use that reel magic is there? I got a little rig I 've used before using a weight plate and a spindle from a chair for keeping it tight - don't ask - it works!

Lizards - do you just tie a slip knot?
Yes.

Lizards
Old 03-28-07, 10:26 PM   #8
commanche

yes, use real warm water not burning hot ..also another trick is as line comes off spool,when it starts twisting,flip spool over..this works but as said, line has memory..
i use a piece of old rubber tire tube in my hand.as line is run thru rubber it gets kinks out..i carry this in my boat in bass tournaments i used to fish until i hurt my back..i would feed line out behind boat, then put rubber in my hand and reel in..no more kinks..

the BIGGER spool on your reel ,better..

Last edited by commanche; 03-28-07 at 10:31 PM.
commanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-07, 08:11 PM   #9
detectorx
BassFishin.Com Member

One things for sure if you dont spool a spinning reel just right your in for allot of headaches, heres something that may help...

http://gobassfishing.net/bass-fishin...-spinning-reel

Dx
detectorx is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.