Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-02-12, 10:06 PM   #1
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default A tripod can make a difference

Really look at these pictures…..the first one is a 7lb 2oz (pic with the green shirt) the second pic is an 8lb 5oz ( me in a white beater...I kept here cause she died from the fight I think) and the third is my 10lb 2 oz….and I know what your thinking……she doesn’t look it at all but I weighed her 3 times! And I checked my digital scale against a ten lb weight when I got home. I don’t know whether it was from holding her behind me…I was new to taking pictures. Sucks that my biggest fish isn’t my favorite pictures. Also please excuse the holding of the fish in the position I did….my 2nd year of bass fishing and I didn’t know the proper way to hold a gal! Anyway a tripod goes a long way….know I know

Last edited by Crankbait; 04-02-12 at 10:12 PM.
Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 10:26 PM   #2
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

It's all about holding the fish out front. Here's Bruce Condello, World Famous Bluegill grower. Not shopped just posed correctly
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo technique.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	7785
Old 04-03-12, 06:43 AM   #3
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That 10 pounder look really thick and heavy. I've recently thought about putting a tripod in the boat. They make small table top tripods which would work well in a boat.
Old 04-03-12, 11:22 AM   #4
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

They all look big to me!

But yeah, they way you hold a fish really makes the difference. If you hold it out behind you like in the 2nd pic, they really look smaller. I took some crappy pics of my personal best 12lber. Held it parallel with my body with two hands on the mouth. If I'd held it out in front of me, it would looked a hell of allot more like 12 pounds. lol
Old 04-03-12, 01:08 PM   #5
lilmule

Well it backfires as well when ever I see one being held out front opposed to body I deduct 3 lbs from it.Like the bluegill pic one suspects its a photoshop in either case not a real representative pic of the creature,thus not worth much.
It may be considered a personal preference but I never lip one and hold it out,kinda think its hard on them,Across the body shot,one can see and tell all about it.
Towards the camera if one can make a blue gill worth 4 lbs then its a dink bass you attempting to make larger.
Tripod can be handy if you desire yourself in the picture.
But this isnt repective

This is

Just my opinion

Last edited by lilmule; 04-03-12 at 01:16 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-12, 01:12 PM   #6
WatterBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmule View Post
Well it backfires as well when ever I see one being held out front opposed to body I deduct 3 lbs from it.Like the bluegill pic one suspects its a photoshop in either case not a real representative pic of the creature,thus not worth much.
It may be considered a personal preference but I never lip one and hold it out,kinda think its hard on them,Across the body shot,one can see and tell all about it.
Towards the camera if one can make a blue gill worth 4 lbs then its a dink bass you attempting to make larger.
Tripod can be handy if you desire yourself in the picture.
Same here.

I don't understand the point of holding it out way in front of you trying to make it look bigger. Why not just take a picture of the way it really looks? But that's just me...others can photo theirs however they like and it's all good. I just happen to prefer holding them as close to me as I can manage, so they look "real".
WatterBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-12, 08:09 PM   #7
Marty

Crankbait, I think pictures #1 and #3 are not good ways to hold a fish, too much stress on the jaws. If you want to lip it, at least hold it vertical.

I never hold the fish way out in front when taking pictures so as to make it look larger. Most people can recognize when that is being done and they're fooling nobody. Held naturally, the fish's size, whether small or large, speaks for itself.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 12:11 AM   #8
Crankbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty View Post
Crankbait, I think pictures #1 and #3 are not good ways to hold a fish, too much stress on the jaws. If you want to lip it, at least hold it vertical.

I never hold the fish way out in front when taking pictures so as to make it look larger. Most people can recognize when that is being done and they're fooling nobody. Held naturally, the fish's size, whether small or large, speaks for itself.
Marty you are absolutely right….that’s why in the post I said “please excuse the way I was holding the bass” all I had seen was Bassmasters with them hauling the fish up out the live well like that…..it bothers me when I’m sure they know it can injure the fish. Heck I don’t even use a cull system that uses the clip that punches through the lip….so rest assured that I know how to treat a lady now

Old 04-05-12, 12:44 AM   #9
Bosshog
BassFishin.Com Member

Those are some WHOPPERS!!!

If you caught those around Tampa Im definitely bringing my rods next time I visit my grandparents down there

I think It was you who was talking about the go-pro (Maybe Not). Is this that camera? I was thinking of upgrading my camera. I have a pretty old and beat up one And am looking into a new one.
Bosshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-12, 04:04 PM   #10
66KingFisher

All I know is your catching some hawgs, and if your finding those big boys around the Tampa area, then I'll be asking you to point me in the right direction the next time I make a trip down to visit my daughter and son-n-law in Land-0-lakes.
Old 04-05-12, 11:41 PM   #11
BlueDaksi

Nice fish!
Old 04-06-12, 12:04 AM   #12
Crankbait

Thanks for the compliment……no those bass were in the RTP area of NC. I’m a diehard bass angler but don’t sleep on the fish in Florida! I was down there a year and I almost….almost I say forgot about bass. Redfish and snook are a killer substitute. Particularly the redfish. Man the first ten pounder I caught was in my backyard and I can say if you’ve never had a ten pound fish ripping and I mean ripping 50-60 yards of 20lb braid of your line try it. A different rush than bass but man. Most of the fish I caught I was wading too! I used a few cranks (of course gotta live up to the name) but 95 percent of the fish I caught were with a fluke and Rapala X Rap. Even got to pet and feed a few manatees. I’m no pro but I even started guiding wading out of my backyard…..amazing how many anglers in Florida have never caught a Snook or Red……I’ll take a $100 from fishing any way I can

!
Old 04-10-12, 05:33 PM   #13
basshunter21

Bunch of cool pictures man!

One with the manatee is really cool!
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-12, 09:02 AM   #14
joedog

Crank thanks for the share.
Great pics!
Old 04-11-12, 10:43 AM   #15
Crankbait

thanks Bh21 and Joedog those pictures were good times....always goodtimes fishing ya know

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.