Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 04-08-12, 10:30 PM   #1
Kabar
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Braid + Fluro Leader vs Fluro

What is better.
I'm almost new to fishing.
Bought my fist 2 baitcasters. 1st is Medium /fast action and 2nd is MedHeavy/moderate fast action.

Now they have cheapest 17 lb mono for practice purposes .....but soon I will have to put some good line on it for a pike.
Will use just about anything....spinners,spoons, cranks, T-rigs...jigs etc.

Thank you.
Kabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 11:12 AM   #2
Crankbait
BassFishin.Com Active Member

You are probably going to get several different responses so let me throw mine in. I use braid 100 percent and I love it. The only thing I really ever have a problem with is that thought of it being seen. I went down to Florida last year and started to fish estuaries and the water was just too clear so I started using a leader on my 20 lb braid. For me I needed a knot I had confidence in…wasn’t hard to tie on the go….and was strong. Here’s what I found. Watch this YouTube post with Joey Deans showing what fluorocarbon leader he uses but more importantly the knot he ties. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnk9miNAEQ8 Can’t remember what the knot is called but it’s fast (was easy for me to tie while wading in water) was strong (never had a not break) and is small in diameter (went through guides easily) Here’s a link to the leader material I used….although I used 20lb test and not 25lb test ….http://compare.ebay.com/like/270946912508?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&va r=sbar Seaguar Red label red label and Pline Fluorocarbon leader material. I have heard that leader material is better for just that….tying leaders. Than to buy just straight fluorocarbon. The bad part about that is leader material is usually sold in 25 yard packs and it runs $10-15 for that amount. I would love to just buy a 150-300 yard spool of regular fluorocarbon but I haven’t tried it and have been told it’s Not the same for using leaders. I can say I used the Seaguar red label leader material with awesome results. In my year down in Florida fishing almost exclusively for red drum and snook I didn’t have a break off where when I tried straight braid (like I do for bass) I was getting break off’s on the hook set with straight braid. And I was catching 5-10lb reds and snook to even 30-40lb black drum (using 20lb leader material with 20 lb powerpro) . The leader material works and Seaguar is top notch…..from my experience. As to which braid well that’s another post! I use Sufix Performance Braid on all my baitcasters for bass….used Power Pro because that’s what I could get fast at Wal-Mart and was just using spinning gear so casting wasn’t so much an issue. Hope this helps

Crankbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-12, 02:13 PM   #3
Possum
BassFishin.Com Member

Fishing for pike?
Don't they have nasty teeth? If so, I wouldn't use flouro for leader, but a wire leader.
Not knowing what the water clarity is at the lake you will be fishing, and whether or not you will be in thick brush, it's hard to pin down a good opinion. But remember, the weak point of all lines is the knots. So, the less knots you have to tie (i.e. main line to leader) the better. But, the knots you do tie need to be good knots and are best for the type of line being used.
One of the lesser talked about advantages of braid is how long it will live. You don't have to re-spool very often, plus you get double life out of it by stripping and re-spooling it backwards. That is too say, tie on to your reel with the old working end and boom, you have fresh line.
Honestly for pike, I would keep the mono on with a wire leader attached for as long as the mono lasts, then think about changing. You may find you like the extra stretch the mono has, especially with the fast tip rod.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-12, 04:03 PM   #4
slounch_slayer
BassFishin.Com Member

I've tried them both and really prefer just straight fluoro. Only time I would use a fluoro leader on braid is for pitching into heavy cover in clearer water. However throwing braid on everything and using a leader when need be can really save you some money on line. Especially in the hot summer months when the heat really wears down your fluoro spooled up on your reel.
slounch_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.