Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 08-08-11, 01:31 AM   #1
tony-d
BassFishin.Com Member

Default swivels...yay or nay?

I know there's a TON of presentations, and they all vary, but out of curiosity, do you guys tend to bother with swivels or do you tie your line directly to the lure you're using? if you do use swivels SOME of the time only, which presentations are those?

I tend to use swivels most of the time and curious if this is common or not
tony-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 01:56 AM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The only presentation I can think of that I will use swivels is a carolina rig and for that I use barrel swivels. Since you said "tie directly to the lure" I am assuming that you are talking about snap swivels and I don't use those at all. They are quicker but in my opinion they are just one more thing that can fail when fighting a fish.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 07:39 AM   #3
keithdog

I only use snap swivels when fishing in line spinners like Meps spinners and Rooster Tails to help prevent line twist. I do use just the clip portion though when using crankbaits and some topwaters. Duo Lock snaps to be precise.
Old 08-08-11, 08:54 AM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
I only use snap swivels when fishing in line spinners like Meps spinners and Rooster Tails to help prevent line twist. I do use just the clip portion though when using crankbaits and some topwaters. Duo Lock snaps to be precise.
x2 on everything Keith said. Although I rarely fish inline spinners anymore.

BB
Old 08-08-11, 10:37 AM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
x3. I hate the look of a big snap swivel in front of my lure. I use really tiny ones for smallmouth spinners though. Helps with line twist like Keith said.
Old 08-08-11, 03:34 PM   #6
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use a Berkley ball bearing swivel to attach a 2' leader to my braid, when I fish soft plastics and I want a bit faster fall or a bit different action (more erratic) on the retrieve.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-11, 04:33 PM   #7
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Inline Spinners and Spoons for me. I know some people opt to use them with the drop shot, but I don't.
Old 08-08-11, 04:40 PM   #8
bassinbob

Just on a c rig.
Old 08-08-11, 07:33 PM   #9
Bassman96
BassFishin.Com Member

On a crankbait I will not use a swivel but Ill take the little snap part and tie it to there so I can make a change quickly. Other than that, I just use full blown swivels for a carolina rig.
Old 08-08-11, 09:55 PM   #10
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
The only presentation I can think of that I will use swivels is a carolina rig and for that I use barrel swivels. Since you said "tie directly to the lure" I am assuming that you are talking about snap swivels and I don't use those at all. They are quicker but in my opinion they are just one more thing that can fail when fighting a fish.
Me too, I tie directly to the split ring on hard baits. I use swivels on c-rigs and double fluke rigs and that is about it.

I know a lot of people like the snaps but in my opinion, they can cause you to get lazy and not retie as often as you probably should.
Old 08-09-11, 03:10 AM   #11
Ground Pounder

I'm mostly in the "palomar for everything school", but I did use clips for cranks last year until I lost one good SMB because a clip bent. After that, I forced myself to learn how to tie an improved clinch knot the right way, and have been crank fishing with that ever since.

I still use swivels for c-rigs and when I want to double up a fluke rig, but I'm mostly a line-to-lure type guy now.
Ground Pounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-11, 09:01 AM   #12
mrmuskie5

Only on c-rigs and dropshot rigs to fight line twist. I do use leaders and swivels on my muskie gear though (good luck without it ).
mrmuskie5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-11, 10:22 PM   #13
66KingFisher

I keep a few swivels in my box for a couple of applications, and I just recently started using the Duolock style snaps, which I like really well for several other applications, but it doesn't work well for everything....like clipping to a spinnerbait or buzzbait with the "S" curved wire....that doesn't work, so I'll just tie those on.
Old 08-11-11, 12:33 AM   #14
oglejust

i used to use snap swivels for everything but recently i decided if i want to get competitive i need to stop being lazy and tie. on a c rig and a drop shot i use a swivel to prevent line twists.
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-11, 07:54 AM   #15
Scott the fishman

no swivels for me only thing i use is a barrel swivel when i am using a super fluke
Old 08-12-11, 11:23 AM   #16
Old Hooker

Barrel swivels on a C-rig worm or a weightless Super Fluke. Cross lock snaps on crankbaits and some topwaters so they have maximum action.
Old 08-12-11, 11:40 AM   #17
CamG
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Me too, I tie directly to the split ring on hard baits. I use swivels on c-rigs and double fluke rigs and that is about it.

I know a lot of people like the snaps but in my opinion, they can cause you to get lazy and not retie as often as you probably should.
+1

Swivels always seemed to "collect" a lot more debris as well. Never could stand the way they look on the front of a pretty bait either.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-11, 05:44 PM   #18
MrMakk

have to use swivels over here on the wire traces, in all honesty, i can't see them affecting the presentation.
Old 08-15-11, 12:21 PM   #19
pittsburghbass
BassFishin.Com Member

I almost always tie directly to the lure. I've often thought about using swivels to make switching between lures faster, but I never liked how the presentation looked with that swivel in front. So for now I'm still tying!
pittsburghbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-11, 06:39 AM   #20
SaminVa

I use swivels on carolina rigs, double fluke rigs & spoons... I use snaps for crankbaits & my son really uses the snaps alot on swimbaits, crankbaits etc. He uses swivels on the Mepps in line spinner type lures.
Old 08-17-11, 03:37 PM   #21
jjjbluray
BassFishin.Com Member

Wow. I ahve been using swivels on everything! I guess I learned something new today: I don't need them on everything. I use them to prevent line twist, maybe help keep a fish from twisting the hook out, and for ease of lure swappage. I can say that when I find the fish, they don't seem to mind the lure lol. But I will try what some of you guys have said and see how it goes.
jjjbluray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-11, 06:23 PM   #22
coolbreeze
BassFishin.Com Member

c rigs and a swivel on flukes and when Im fishing a trickworm. Let the weight of the swivel take the worm down to where I want it then work it back to the boat.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-11, 06:30 PM   #23
Bob Smith

I use Swivels alone on the C-rig. But I use wire snaps on my crankbaits when I am in the exploratory with crankbaits (once I dial in I usually end up tying direct).
Old 09-04-11, 11:03 PM   #24
kennethdaysale

Nay.......
Old 09-05-11, 01:40 PM   #25
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
+1 ditto! That pretty much sums for me too. I do use wire snaps on my Crankbaits until I dial in, then it's tied directly to the bait.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.