Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 10-23-08, 09:41 PM   #1
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default question about braided line

ok gang. i comented on braided line in another post. and also asked when should you change out the line. any thoughts? what should i look for to know it needs to be changed out. how long should i go before changing it? thanks a whole lot gang!!
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-08, 10:31 PM   #2
Rebbasser

I've had a couple rods spooled up for years and it is still going strong. The only time I have replaced it is when I've had to perform surgery after a real bad backlash.
Old 10-23-08, 10:52 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I only change mine after severe backlashes or knots that cause me to cut too much line off of the spool. If I can see the mono after I cast, then I change out the line. I usually only put about 50 yards of braid on the spool. The rest in cheap mono backing.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 03:28 AM   #4
islandbass

If the line is free from damage, it will last a very long time and not need to be changed.
Old 10-24-08, 07:17 AM   #5
Bob Smith

If I don't have to give up any to a bad backlash I will usually keep it on there until it fades to almost white, then I carefully remove it so as to tie the used portion on the spool end and use the unused portion on the bait end (for another year or two). This stuff is amazing.
Old 10-24-08, 07:47 AM   #6
Captmikestarrett

With Spider Wire the extrusion process makes the line slick, but after a thousand or more casts it gets fluffy and tends to air knot more.

SOLUTION: reverse the line. Tie it to a tree and walk the line out to the mono backing, cut and retie back at the tree. It will give you another couple of years.

TRICK: if you lost some due to backlash now is the time to increase the mono backing. I tend to use a different color backing each time I add mono. It helps to know how old the line is.

Power Pro does fluff quicker but it cost less.

With over 46 reels and rods it can get a wee bit pricey..

Capt Mike
Old 10-24-08, 12:22 PM   #7
woody

Hey Bama, If your having trouble see'n that color faded line when your finesse fishin just get out that magic marker to brighten up that section of line.
You know crimsom red of course or hoosier red . lol.
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 03:26 PM   #8
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

good point woody, i keep a black sharpie in my box and keep at least 4 feet colored all the time
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-08, 06:19 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I've only been using braid for a little over a year and I've only changed it when switching brands. Now that i've settled on a brand I like (sufix) I won't change it until I'm getting down ot the mono backing. Braided does get damaged though, so when you change your lure, cut a couple feet off. Also, braid, unlike fluoro, does not get damaged when there is a backlash, so if I can pick it out, I don't change it. I hardly ever get backlashes to the point I can't get them out, I just get little ones a lot.

bama, don't forget about the switching trick. After a few years or whatever of using the braid, tie the used end to another reel and spool it up. The unused part of the braid will be fine as it doesn't weaken with age or extreme temps like mono.

BB
Old 10-24-08, 10:08 PM   #10
Bob Smith

Ditto to Woody's comment about the magic markers! I use a black one and a green one in a break up pattern for about 10' of the line.
Old 10-25-08, 10:21 AM   #11
bamabassman

thanks gang!!! i also have a sharpie...somewhere,lol. it IS in da boat. somewhere... really, thanks alot. i have only used braided line this year (first time), love it to death in da "gator vines".
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.